You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Jobs Has Died

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Im sorry to hear about anybody dying and this is the same.

As for the products his company made,i think they are overpriced and aimed at impressionable younger people who go for brand names but i digress.

This reminds me a bit of a mafioso on trial in sicily talking about a mob boss who was killed at a reasonably young age,around 40.

The gangster in the witness box said something like,'save your tears as he lived a life in his 40 years that most of the population wouldnt live in ten lifetimes and imagine putting all your dreams of wealth and enjoyment into those years and thats the way he lived his.'

Not saying he was a gangster or anything but he did get to do what he loved and obtain great wealth through it.

But cancer is an indiscriminate bastard of a disease.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple of levels here. On one, there are a bunch of people who are gutted that the guy who did the iPhone died. These are the people that will be phoning the Samaritans right about now. Just before they put their vote in for X Factor.

Then, there are the people who know what Steve Jobs brought to the world of computing and technology and it really shouldn't be underestimated. He was a smart cookie.

There are a couple of levels here. On one, there are a bunch of people who are gutted that the guy who did the iPhone died. These are the people that will be phoning the Samaritans right about now. Just before they put their vote in for X Factor.

Then, there are the people who know what Steve Jobs brought to the world of computing and technology and it really shouldn't be underestimated. He was a smart cookie.

There is another level. The people that had to google his name to find out who he was. Then, having googled his name, have no idea why anyone who didn't personally know him would give that much of a shit.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Innovative bloke yeah. But "I'm extremely upest" is a bit strong. As is "fanboy" incidentally.

People die, even billionaires who you never knew and were never likely to know.

If that quote is for me, I didn't say that. I said I was genuinely upset. Which I am. I feel the same as when Freddie Mercury died. I think we lost an original and somebody I looked at as an icon of their time and their industry. I think that's enough to be moved, personally.

How nice to leave the world and actually have bettered it when its so easy to make it shite.

Bettered it? I'm sorry but it's not like he cured fucking cancer. Get a grip, he found a gap in the market and made billions doing so, fair play, but don't make it out as if he's done something beneficial.

I have an iphone, it's a great invention, but had it not existed it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Bettered it? I'm sorry but it's not like he cured fucking cancer. Get a grip, he found a gap in the market and made billions doing so, fair play, but don't make it out as if he's done something beneficial.

I have an iphone, it's a great invention, but had it not existed it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Woefully ignorant of what he did, I'm afraid. Steve Jobs changed the world before the iPhone and iPod had ever seen the light of day. He also put the tools into the hands of other people, enabling them to change the world too. Anybody who denies he changed the world for the better is either ignorant or sadly deluded.

You are clearly not familiar with the phrase, 'Give a man a fish and he will eat fish, give Steve Jobs a fishing rod and he will turn it into a big fucking telephone that you can listen to Daryl hannah singing 'under the sea' whilst fisting herself on.

That's well put.

I used to go out with a girl who was a graphic designer. She absolutely loved Apple. I, on the other hand, saw most of the infatuation with their products as embarrassingly excessive and basically as another part of a culture which has apotheosised the buying of things to stand as a supplicant for actually having any ideas for or beliefs in itself, apart from getting rich and then dying. Needless to say, we went our separate ways, and I'm also brilliant fun on a night out.

For most people, that's what an iPhone is. It's a thing, it does some useful stuff, and when you whack it out, it's a status symbol. Again, though, that is just for most people.

Jobs, according to testimony, actually was a visionary... and as Numero said, there is a lot of respect for his work and his products within certain industries which still aim towards creative integrity - like graphic design, as in my example. That creativity in this context, however, is also tied up in a design to sell products, destroy competitors, boost profit margins, and a whole load of other stuff which is essentially ruthless and totally reliant on cultivating peoples' desires for new things that they don't really need.

More than anything, Jobs is probably unique in that he twinned ambition, progress, creativity, intelligence and a I guess a kind of hope and inspiration, with a culture that is dragging us to personal and social ruin. That might sound a little more unforgiving than I mean it to, but it's how I see it.