You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1989/90.

Trumo

The entire 1989/90 league season on video. We were creaking alarmingly at times, but still had the fortitude to see it through and win the title back off Arsenal. And this is the first time I've seen Ronnie Whelan's own goal since then. At the end of this season I hope to see Kenny celebrating like that again.

The links don't embed properly so I've added the URLs here.

LFC 1989-90_part1.mp4 - YouTube

LFC 1989-90_part2.mp4 - YouTube

LFC 1989-90_part3.mp4 - YouTube

LFC 1989-90_part4.mp4 - YouTube

LFC 1989-90_part5.mp4 - YouTube

LFC 1989-90_part6.mp4 - YouTube

LFC 1989-90_part7.mp4 - YouTube

Happy days indeed.

Watching that 9-0 v Palace and the subsequent travesty of the cup semi final always makes me wonder if we could've got to the final we could maybe have stopped the Ferguson era at birth.

How different things might have been then?

I suppose I should qualify that outburst by saying that although Kenny wasn't at his best as a manager that season, it turned out later that he was almost certainly suffering from depression after dealing with the aftermath of Hillsborough, so when I see people criticising him for not adequately refreshing a team which was going into decline, I go completely fucking nuclear.

Having thought about it a bit more, I'm sure you were on the windup though Kevin?

Happy days indeed.

Watching that 9-0 v Palace and the subsequent travesty of the cup semi final always makes me wonder if we could've got to the final we could maybe have stopped the Ferguson era at birth.

How different things might have been then?

I had a season ticket for that period, and I do recall that Palace game vividly. Especially at half-time, when my cousin jokingly said:

"Are you going to buy the video? Liverpool 10 - Crytal Palace 0"

Which was quite prescient given it was only 3-0 at that point.

As for your general point, we ground that title out and it was obvious that squad was on its last legs, and the 4-4 was the clearest signal of that.

I suppose I should qualify that outburst by saying that although Kenny wasn't at his best as a manager that season, it turned out later that he was almost certainly suffering from depression after dealing with the aftermath of Hillsborough, so when I see people criticising him for not adequately refreshing a team which was going into decline, I go completely fucking nuclear.

Having thought about it a bit more, I'm sure you were on the windup though Kevin?

Yes, although I failed to quote Cliff's post it was the 87/88 season I meant, but as you point out it was probably ill advised.

Should make it clear that Kenny is a great hero of mine and any jokes I make("we won in spite of..." has been a popular remark to make whenever we've won for the past three years) should be seen with that context. I'm qualifying all this because if someone said that and they weren't joking, then I would have lost it, too.

Yes, although I failed to quote Cliff's post it was the 87/88 season I meant, but as you point out it was probably ill advised.

Should make it clear that Kenny is a great hero of mine and any jokes I make("we won in spite of..." has been a popular remark to make whenever we've won for the past three years) should be seen with that context. I'm qualifying all this because if someone said that and they weren't joking, then I would have lost it, too.

Cheers for the clarification. I suspected that somewhat as I wrote my initial response but I still blew my top.

As an aside by the way, I'm not a great believer in having heroes but that's what Kenny is to me. I absolutely love the bones of him. He ranks in my affection somewhere just below my immediate family. I find it very difficult to countenance any criticism of him at all, which is probably going to get me into some arguments in the coming years!

Cheers for the clarification. I suspected that somewhat as I wrote my initial response but I still blew my top.

As an aside by the way, I'm not a great believer in having heroes but that's what Kenny is to me. I absolutely love the bones of him. He ranks in my affection somewhere just below my immediate family. I find it very difficult to countenance any criticism of him at all, which is probably going to get me into some arguments in the coming years!

Same here. Fucking pathetic really, but I can't help it. I sometimes watch his interviews on LFCTV and get a lump in my throat.

Guest davelfc

You're certainly not alone, I'm exactly the same. I could have written that word for word.