You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy Hodgson is wary of revitalised Liverpool

Apr 1 2011

by James Pearce, Liverpool Echo

WEST BROM boss Roy Hodgson isn’t looking forward to tomorrow’s clash at the Hawthorns – because he knows Liverpool are improving fast under Kenny Dalglish.

The former Anfield manager, (inset) whose dismal six-month reign ended in January, admits the Reds are a different proposition on their travels now than they were during his tenure.

“I can’t say I’m looking forward to it because they are a good team,” he said. “We need to win and get points and the stronger the team you play against the less chance there is of getting those points.

“I have such a lot of respect for the team we’re meeting and I know how good those players can be when they’re on their game.

“Recently they have had a couple of good results away and the fear that we suffered through having gone a long period without an away win has been broken. That hoodoo has been broken so I know we face a very dangerous opponent.”

Hodgson, who lasted just 31 games at Liverpool, insists his only motivation will be helping West Brom move a step closer to safety.

“It means a lot because we only have eight games left,” he said. “I don’t have any feelings of revenge or proving anything. I don’t think I need to prove points.

“If there are people out there who think I need to prove a point then I suggest they look at what I’ve done in the last 36 years because I’m more concerned with having that behind me than having debates about six months at a club.

“For me it’s six months in a 36-year career.”

Steven Gerrard recently defended Hodgson and said the players were responsible for him losing his job.

That meant a lot to the 63-year-old who believes he was the victim of circumstances at Anfield.

“I never had any fears or doubts that the people with whom I was working had no respect for the work I was doing,” he said. “But it’s nice to hear them say it publicly.

“What happened at Liverpool is in the past.

“The people that are there know the work I did and the satisfaction I get if any is that the people that were there are fully respectful of the job I did there and realise that it was circumstances more than any lack of competence which prompted the owners to change the manager.

“Kenny and I have never been particularly close friends. I don’t know him that well but I have no animosity towards him. I’m perfectly happy to see him in the job and I’m happy to be in the job I’m in.”

Roy Hodgson is wary of revitalised Liverpool - Chester Chronicle

His career highlights could probably be condensed to 6 minutes.

They'll fuckin beat us now I've said that of course.

Roy admits Dalglish troubles | Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News

Roy Hodgson admits the presence of Kenny Dalglish made his job at Liverpool difficult as he prepares his West Brom side to face his former employers.

Hodgson was replaced by Dalglish in January after overseeing the worst start to a Premier League season in Liverpool's history

Dalglish claimed earlier this week that Hodgson had nothing to prove after his disappointing spell at the helm at Anfield.

However, Hodgson believes his position was not helped by the fact that Reds legend Dalglish openly admitted he wanted the manager's job prior to his appointment.

Hodgson believes Dalglish's shadow hung over him at Anfield leading to calls from fans for his head following bad results.

Icon

"It's difficult to compete with icons," admitted Hodgson.

"I came to the right club, perhaps I didn't come at the right time because Kenny did make it clear at that time that he wanted the job.

"But the people who were making the decisions at that time decided to go for me, and of course as a result that left Kenny in a difficult position because he is one who wanted the job.

"So when things didn't go well, having him in the background wasn't easy and wouldn't have been easy for any coach.

"But that's such an obvious statement and that happens at virtually every football club, to be quite honest.

"There's always someone in the wings who's a little bit of an icon and who's ready to take over if the results don't go that way."

"Again I can only repeat I have nothing negative to say about the club or my time at the club other than it would have been nice to have won a few more games.

"My time at Liverpool is over, I'm very happy in my job here.

"I am disappointed of course I didn't get the full three years which i was hoping for at Liverpool but I have been in football long enough to know that is what sometimes happens especially when there is a change of ownership during your time at the club.

"I was realistic, I knew the risk when I went into the job, I still think it was the right think to do to accept the offer.

"I am still disappointed of course it did not work out in a better way, but I have no regrets or bad feelings about Liverpool as a city, certainly I don't have any bad feelings about the football club and I have only good feelings about the people I worked with there."

Fans reaction

Hodgson admits he is unsure of the reception he will get from the travelling Liverpool supporters at the Hawthorns.

"The reaction to my appointment from a large body of the fans was not positive so I don't know if that would have changed now I'm no longer there.

"Whatever the reaction is, we as managers have to accept that and get on with it.

"It would be nice if their response was not a negative one, but if it is, I'll have to learn to live with it.

"Hopefully the West Brom fans will will try to buoy me up in the other direction."

Guy is a fucking mutt...

Yeah, all this talk about him being a gentleman and a decent human being.

For someone supposedly gentle and decent, he does say an awful lot that can be taken the wrong way.

He's either contextually inarticulate... which is astonishing for someone with such vast self-confessed managerial experience and "success"... or rumours of his gentleness and decency are greatly exaggerated.

The latter is jumping out at me a bit.

Guest TesticleOReilly

He's said nothing there that isn't 100% correct. The simple fact is if he'd behaved like a Liverpool manager, in every sense of the word, then the presence of Dalglish wouldn't have been an issue.

l genuinely think that smacks of arrogance.

Not really surprising when you think that dickhead Chairmen have been giving him good jobs for the last 36 years and rewarding his mediocrity in seeming perpetuity.

After all, it only took him about 10 minutes to land himself another decent EPL gig after we gave him the arse.

Yeah, all this talk about him being a gentleman and a decent human being.

For someone supposedly gentle and decent, he does say an awful lot that can be taken the wrong way.

He's either contextually inarticulate... which is astonishing for someone with such vast self-confessed managerial experience and "success"... or rumours of his gentleness and decency are greatly exaggerated.

The latter is jumping out at me a bit.

Well put, and right on the money.

“When it was mooted the club wanted me for the job I made it clear to Kenny I wanted him on board and it wouldn’t be like it was with Benitez where he’d be here in name only.

“It wouldn’t be the case that Kenny would be never be allowed to step foot into Melwood.

“We wanted to tap into what he can bring, not least his legendary and iconic status, but also on a practical, day-to-day basis. When there is scouting to be done he can do that because he has a good eye and knows what we are looking for.

“He can give us good information as to whether he likes the look of a player. I’m happy to have him a round. If people think that’s a threat, OK. But I’m not prepared to pass up on quality people who can help because of a fear the day may come when the club decides they want Kenny as manager and not me.

The man can't even remember his own lies.

How many Blackburn icons were waiting in the wings when he nearly took them down? The man's a complete fucking loon.

If he'd won more games, Dalglish wouldn't have been an issue. Actually, he didn't even need to win many games, most people realised that there was a lot of work to do. But we were getting worse and the worse we got, the more he rubbed his face and the more he rubbed his face the more he had a pop at us and others.

He really should give David Cameron a call as I'm sure he'd fit in well at the Tory Party.

I don't think he even deserved to know when the interviews for the managers post were being conducted, and can only blame Hicks and Gilletts use of the english media to try to run the club as the reason he was entertained at all.

im confident of 3pts, providing we can reach the same level of performance we saw at sunderland. i hope kenny goes with spearing and lucas again, it was great to see those two young uns working so well together. after his great finish for england carroll should be right up for this one and with suarez continuing to show his excellence we should be comfortable winners.

anything less will be a big disappointment.

pete

Roy Hodgson was the wrong manager, in the wrong place, at the wrong time as Liverpool boss.

But he has done really well at West Brom. He is making them much more difficult to beat and hard to play against.

That is Roy. His coaching is about filling in the holes defensively. He has them all onside, buying into it, and Albion have not been beaten since he took over, so confidence is good and the mood brighter.

Hodgson tried to do the same thing at Anfield.

The problem with that was Liverpool didn’t need to be turned into a team who are ­difficult to play against, they had that anyway. Over the years under Benitez they never conceded that many goals.

Liverpool needed the coaching to be geared to the other end of the pitch - how could they get Gerrard and Torres into positions to create more chances?

Roy had to deal with the club being sold too.

He did a wonderful job at Fulham, and looks like he will do a wonderful job at West Brom. But at Liverpool he just didn’t fit.

It happens.

He has not become a bad manager. He is one of the good guys, as everyone knows. I think the Liverpool fans say thanks Roy, but no thanks.

The fans who go to the Hawthorns will give him an ovation because that is just the way they are.

Read more: Mark Lawrenson on Why West Brom Roy Hodgson deserves a standing ovation from the Liverpool fans today - Mark Lawrenson - MirrorFootball.co.uk

well unrighteous i am none of the things you claim i am. i am a pool fan who happens to think that Roy should have been treted better than he was and i thought he was the most consistent manager in the premier leage for the few years before he got the job. the normality of giving a guy 6 months for a job and writing him off as rubbish is v frustrating and disappointing. i was also ashamed when konchesky was jeered off the field v wolves and the scape goat that he and poulsen were made into.. it goes against all i think being a red should signify...

A Pool fan? Fuck off.