You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Souness

Razoray

A couple of points about that interview Graeme. One you say when you went there the players hadn't won anything for two years. so Completely ignoring the fact you took charge of the current League champions at the time and the other point fair play for admitting your mistakes regarding a certain rag. immense player that you were but players past their best? a few you sold played well for other clubs notibly Beardsley Houghton McMahon that you were a bit to keen to ship out.

Not taking away that he has been candid there in the interview but i think it's an astonishing claim to say when he took over we hadn't won anything for two years.

I like Souness, I've got to confess. I don't rate him as a manager, and he fucked up big time over The S*n thing, but he's man enough to admit it and apologise for it whenever he's asked. He was a magnificent player, he's a pretty good pundit (especially on RTE), and, by all accounts, he's a good bloke to work with.

fair doo's he took the questions on, on air where probably most people vet the questions prior and knock the ones back they don't want to answer.

Made me laugh about trying to change the culture, weaker lager on the bus, no fish and chips.

One thing that comes across from that interview is that he still cares about lfc, his apoligy seemed hertfelt aswell, hopefully this interview goes someway to change fans views of him.

yep I thought that as well, some apologies (Richard Key's) are just more media spin. Sounds like he had a rough time coming out of hospital and no one from the club to meet him. Probably take a bit of time to move past all that.

He still drops the odd clanger on air like.

There will be those who will never forgive him, and far be it for me or anyone else to tell them otherwise.

I look at him and see a man who is truly sorry and it's clear to see that it still haunts him.

And when he apologies it's not lip service or some kind of PR stunt or anything like that, he's saying that he's sorry because he is.

I was too young to remember him as a player and I first started going as a young kid and season ticket holder in the 1991/2 season.

That freezing cold day in Wembley in the pissing rain that season was for a young boy to see his team win the FA Cup a magical memory.

To contrast, the one and only time I stood on the old KOP was that fateful night against Bristol City.

I don't think he was a terrible manager by any means, after leaving us he won Blackburn the only other trophy that they have won after Kenny won them the league and I don't take his tenure at Newcastle too seriouly as to be honest I can't take Newcastle seriously in the slightest. Those deluded morons even sacked Kenny ffs.

Anyway, good interview.

He is the first manager i really remember and by the end i wanted rid.I was brought up on the stories of his playing days and old videos of him.When you look back on what happened with him now its such a sad story though.If some of the players we have had over the last 10/15 years cared as much as he did we would T****s,who both claimed such feelings and understanding for the club turned there backs on the club in such bad ways yet a man who gave everything he had to the club still cant get anything close to acceptance from some areas is a disgarce.

He made a major mistake that shouldnt be forgotton,but surley 20 years in the wilderness is long enough punishment for the man.

The mistakes on the field were bad,but doen with the correct intentions,new blood was needed,McManaman(yes he made his debut under Kenny),Fowler,Redknap,Jones added what was needed for the club.How many of us have said on T****s "you dont want to play for us,Fuck off then", its the same as he did.

[YOUTUBE]TkITfLFe4jo[/YOUTUBE]

image-5-for-kenny-dalglish-gallery-527014308.jpg

sounessDM1203_468x522.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The big danger, when you've had so much success as a player, is that managing the same club drives you crazy because you can't get the players to do what you might have done when you were one of them.  And so it all came down to me not being able to understand why those players didn't share the same passion that I'd had.  I fell out badly with some of the older players, because they couldn't get to that kind of pitch of emotion.  And they done me in the end.  Well, I done myself as well.  In terms of football they were still as good as anybody, but introduce a bit of aggro and they were the worst.  And I used to ask them to think about what the manager in the other dressing room would be saying - "Let's go out and play football against Liverpool", or "Let's go out and get stuck into them"?  I'm sure Roy Evans feels the same as I did now.  If you take the 1996 FA Cup Final against Manchester United, Roy Keane just ran the show.  He's gone through a couple of people early on, and more or less said, "Okay, this is how it's going to be - anyone fancy it?"  I think Robbie Fowler was the only one to square up to him.  In the Liverpool teams I played in, we'd have been fighting each other to get to Keane, we'd have been queuing up to take him on."

Loved Souness as a player Is the game as physical as it once was?  No.  Does a physicality on the pitch have an influence over the direction of the game?  Absolutely.

• Upvote 2

I find it hard to believe that the team Souness took over,which still had the likes of Nicol,Houghton and Beardsley,weren't passionate or cared enough. Those 3,Grobbelaar too,had won multiple trophies at the club quite recently but the players Souness bought were absolutely turd and miles behind the level of previous signings. Souness was just a shite manager and refuses to admit it. Great players rarely make great managers and he was a prime example.

Souey was an ace player but frankly a piss poor manager. Never forget his hattrick against CSKA Sofia.

Strangely, he got virtually no shit from fans when he announced he was leaving Liverpool due to tax implications as his wife was due to inherit a shit load of money when Liverpool and the north of the country were in a fucking recession!