You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres

JohnnyH

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, his form's been poor and he hasn't convinced with his commitment, but his form is a symptom of the problems at the club. Requiring a player like him to charge around with his back to goal scrapping with centre-backs for the second ball is like asking a classical musician to jam with the Spice Girls. Of course he's going to be shit at it, and probably resentful, but whose fault is that really?

The problem is that we've got a horribly mis-matched set of players, somewhat more than half of whom are hard-working triers with average ability and less than half of whom are more cultured footballers who don't particularly fancy a scrap. A manager with a bit of style and nous could make that balance work, but we've got an old-fashioned English clog-and-slogger who's bringing the worst out of both sides of the team, forcing the talent down to the level of the muscle rather than building the muscle around the talent.

Yeah, its quite shit as a fan watching gifted footballers strop around having a moan and getting kicked over, but players like Torres stand at the heart of all great teams. An intelligent, creative new manager and one or two signings could bring back the Nando of old in a matter of weeks -- I'm sure of it. I find it really hard to blame him for his form when the deeper problem is so evident.

That's a quality post and sums it up perfectly for me.

Torres isn't in Hodgson's 35 years of management rule book. He would rather have Zamora than Torres.

Same goes for Agger & Johnson.

Something has to give - either the owners throw all their weight behind Hodgson and he re-molds the team in his own image or we bring in a manager who can get the most out of our best players.

I know which one of those options I would prefer

These are all salient points, and I can completely understand Torres' frustrations.

However, that does not excuse him acting like a petulant child and not even putting in half a shift.

I like N'gog and think he's got the potential to be a half-decent squad player for us. Torres made him look like a world-beater on Saturday.

A totally unacceptable 'performance' and if any of the usual suspects had done the same, they'd have been crucified.

It's pretty logical. He's one of the best strikers in the world playing in a long-ball team with no prospects of trophies or CL-football under the current management. It might be unprofessional to lose motivation, but it's understandable.

Call me naiive, but I just don't understand how anybody wearing the shirt doesn't put themselves on the line in every minute of every game.

Hodgson out first obviously, but if he's still sulking then Torres should hit the road too.

Guest The Chimp

He's paid a fucking shed load of money to play football so forgive me if my sympathy isn't that forthcoming. If he's unhappy and wants a move then he's hardly putting himself in the shop window with his displays is he? There are lads who go the game who can barely make ends meet, who see the shite on display but still persevere because the club matters. He needs to man the fuck up.

Call me naiive, but I just don't understand how anybody wearing the shirt doesn't put themselves on the line in every minute of every game.

Hodgson out first obviously, but if he's still sulking then Torres should hit the road too.

Babel-receives-small.jpg

This basically sums it up for me, Torres isn't in the picture but he's up there. If he beats one defender, there's another 3 to cover anyway, it really is pointless for him to do anything. His productivity this season is still immense considering how much support he gets from his team mates.

Guest The Chimp
This basically sums it up for me, Torres isn't in the picture but he's up there. If he beats one defender, there's another 3 to cover anyway, it really is pointless for him to do anything. His productivity this season is still immense considering how much support he gets from his team mates.

You're a decent poster mate so I''l take what you've said on board but Torres has had a face liked a smacked arse for ages. I'm a grumpy fucker after the Newcastle game. Just depressed by all the negativity and lack of fight. The only one's who can turn things around are on the pitch and in the dug-out and it just seems as if they've no fucking bottle.

One figure still stood out in a wholly abject Liverpool performance at Newcastle on Saturday evening and what was once a thought that was so outrageous it could never be uttered now needs to be said: should Liverpool sell Fernando Torres?

I would not go so far as to claim that he didn’t try at St. James Park but he certainly gave in far too easily when confronted by an opponent, his touch was awful and his body language even worse. Unless he says something completely and convincingly different, it’s become obvious that he wants out of Anfield.

Worse, so poor are the majority of his performances of late, his ‘market value’ decreases by the game. Torres is now nothing like the player that arrived and I’d love to know why.

Is he disillusioned by what is (or isn’t) happening off the field? Just how much money are the new owners willing to spend trying to right what is wrong on the pitch? Has Torres little faith in the manager? He’s not alone in that. Or, does he just feel the need for a fresh start?

Whatever, I’m certain that it can’t be allowed to go on like this.

Read more: Alan Green: It’s obvious Fernando Torres wants to leave Liverpool - Alan Green, Columnists - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

I think talk of selling him is a little premature. For one, the only clubs I can see bidding for him are City and chelsea and no red wants that. But as The Chimp said further up the page, he is paid vast amounts of money every week for the honour of putting on our jersey. To expect him to pull his finger out and put in a shift is the very least we should expect. Whether or not his game is suited to Roy's longball game is irrelevant, he should still be expected to try his best. It's only 90 mins a week.

Ngog and Babel did really well against Villa (Villa were awful, granted) and I think Torres should be dropped for the next game or two and let them carry on from there. Maybe it'll give him the kick up the arse he needs, it may also dishearten him more but it's worth trying.

I love the column inches devoted to these Torres stories. Rooney has another stinker and it's now twenty hours since he's scored (from open play) oh and he handed in a transfer request. Yet it's only Torres who wants to leave.

You have to hand it to the media in terms of controling the narrative. First it was Cunt Owner's fault that Roy couldn't suceed; then they left and became Benitez's fualt; he called them on it, so they've now moved onto Torres.

Maybe, just maybe he is actually off form. Has anyone put it down to just that? I know it's not the most usual thing to occur in a player's career but it could be a reason. His displays have been I'd say quite normal of what you'd expect for a striker off form, been playing in fits and starts and generally being a fraction off which makes all the difference. He was this bad in the World Cup but I didnt hear anyone say he wants out of Spain!

Who can we blame next; I hear the cleaning lady is using a different softner on the away shirts????????

I'am hesitent with this as I don't know whether he just wanted to put the blinkers on an just play football without worrying about the pressure of oing 1-0 down, but at the same time it could come across arogant an 'not arsed' but its too much to speculate an judging by his performances I'am gonna play the 'he's not fit enough' card an hope that in January things are back on track, theres no winning anything this season apart from the euros but even now were starting to lose steam in that.