You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Huang linked to Liverpool takeover

Wor Horse

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't be a bad first signing under the new owners to show their intent.

He's a handy player but as a first transfer it would be terrible. It would show their intent is to act the Billy Big Bollocks with the wallet, exactly what is most despicable about City and Chelsea. We don't need to sell our soul, just our debts.

From the way they're playing hardball with the yanks anyway it looks like these guys aren't going to throw vulgar amounts of money around just because they can. If they can pull this takeover off without giving Tom and George's a penny it would be so sweet.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8bpgAbgnsE&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8bpgAbgnsE&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I don't know. The US Sovereign Fund is part of the US Treasury so would we be being bought by the equivalent of the Chinese Treasury? If so then the headline 'China set to buy Liverpool' is pretty apt as effectively our potential new 'owner' is part of a govt department.

If this happens I would expect they will invest x with an aim of a roi of y. That's it, end of equation, end of motivation.

I think, it's an opinion and may well be wrong, they will have no incentive to win anything. We won't be worse off, as there is a return in being top 4, and so I think they will aim for us to be like Arsenal is now, a sustainable business model that provides a good return to investors but does not have to win. It would be a nice bonus but there is insufficient return in buying the 2-3 players required to actually take a trophy. The difference in money between top 4 and first is x and the cost of the extra players is y so it's simply not commercially justifiable.

Also on a side note the ITK's from Rawk can all bugger off with their 'the people behind this love the club' posts. This isn't 'people' and that is what is concerning. Even if the Premier of China does sit down after a long day of boot heeled oppression and kick back with a Tsing Tao beer to watch Stevie and the boys - it doesn't change that we would become a diversified investment of a State Treasury and in the scheme of things an absolute gnats bite of an investment at that.

I'm a little bit worried, I've seen enough of the public sector to feel neither confident or inspired.

Also if things don't go well you can forget protesting, there's some people in a little place called Tibet who will tell you just how effective that would be...

I want to be more positive believe me and yes perhaps hoping for football loving individuals to buy the club was a bit unrealistic, but the chinese govt? Would it be possible to have a more faceless, emotionless owner?

Boy, things are getting heavy in this thread.

Here's my contribution:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH2P_pVze6s&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH2P_pVze6s&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

For the good of all the paupers who haven't got a season ticket, here is my take:

The 150 million quote is, I hope, just something someone made up, like the Messi quote from a couple of days ago. The more I have thought about all this, the harder it has been for me to accept it. My initial excitement was purely based on the thought that we might be rid of the yanks, once and for all. The whole unlimited funds nonsense would totally ruin it for me. Anyone who has ever edited the Football Manager database and filled the bank account with gazillions, knows how joyless it is after a few months.

I am not going to kid myself and pretend that I will stop following Liverpool, but there is a very real danger that I will become further removed from the club I love. I know this all sounds dramatic, but since the mid 70's when I first remember being a Liverpool fan, the club has been a part of my life and it always represented what i stood for, up until we were sold to the yanks. Since then it has just been mainly horrible. Watching us drub Madrid and United has of course been great, and helped me ignore our vile owners, but that has been the exception rather than the rule.

To be honest, I doubt there is a bid on the table that would sit 100% right, but if the Kuwaitis are in again, i have a feeling that would be preferable.

If this CIC bid does go through, the best i can hope for is that they don't get silly, build the new stadium (although I am not even sure I like the idea of leaving Anfield, but at least we would be able to generate our own money which is necessary to be able to compete), and sit in the background and let the club function as a well-run business.

I suppose if CIC do take over, at least we might finally get Snoogy Doogy.

For the good of all the paupers who haven't got a season ticket, here is my take:

The 150 million quote is, I hope, just something someone made up, like the Messi quote from a couple of days ago. The more I have thought about all this, the harder it has been for me to accept it. My initial excitement was purely based on the thought that we might be rid of the yanks, once and for all. The whole unlimited funds nonsense would totally ruin it for me. Anyone who has ever edited the Football Manager database and filled the bank account with gazillions, knows how joyless it is after a few months.

I am not going to kid myself and pretend that I will stop following Liverpool, but there is a very real danger that I will become further removed from the club I love. I know this all sounds dramatic, but since the mid 70's when I first remember being a Liverpool fan, the club has been a part of my life and it always represented what i stood for, up until we were sold to the yanks. Since then it has just been mainly horrible. Watching us drub Madrid and United has of course been great, and helped me ignore our vile owners, but that has been the exception rather than the rule.

To be honest, I doubt there is a bid on the table that would sit 100% right, but if the Kuwaitis are in again, i have a feeling that would be preferable.

If this CIC bid does go through, the best i can hope for is that they don't get silly, build the new stadium (although I am not even sure I like the idea of leaving Anfield, but at least we would be able to generate our own money which is necessary to be able to compete), and sit in the background and let the club function as a well-run business.

I suppose if CIC do take over, at least we might finally get Snoogy Doogy.

I see your point, but to compare real life with Football Manager is nonsense. With the way clubs like Man City, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, even Spurs are spending these days, it would be foolish not to accept an investor whose willing to spend tons of money while investing in a stadium.

Things were different in the 1970's. One of the weak points of this club is that we fail to move on with the times.

I see your point, but to compare real life with Football Manager is nonsense. With the way clubs like Man City, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, even Spurs are spending these days, it would be foolish not to accept an investor whose willing to spend tons of money while investing in a stadium.

Things were different in the 1970's. One of the weak points of this club is that we fail to move on with the times.

There is a difference between moving on and selling your soul. As my post said, the best scenario is for them to invest enough to allow us to generate our own funds. We don't need an owner to spend tons of money.

I'm fine with a mad couple of transfer windows with silly money getting spent. It would at least bring the quality of the team/squad up with perhaps the level it should have been if it wasn't for the crippling interest payments.

We're not a million miles away just yet, we just need the backup for when the best players get injured, or at least to give them a rest or longer to recover after injuries.

4 x £15 million + players now would do suffice, and at least the ability to get at least one of the top name transfers that take place in the summer.

We desperately need the stadium to make that happen on a regular basis.

It's not rocket science really, we just need an owner to come in and get the club competing on and off the field to our potential, NOT BEYOND IT

I think the Chinese are best placed to make it happen. A few pre season games a year in the far east, marketed right, would probably bring in a fair few million guaranteed a season on top of the extra money brought in from the stadium etc. I think the Chinese money men/accountants would be quite sensible in how the do they dealings from a long term perspective, and I think a lot more stable than those in the middle east.

I just want whats ours, a top ten (and the rest) European club being able to compete

Just because they have billions doesn't necessarily mean they will spend like crazy and personally I hope they don't.

All I want is to be able to compete for some of the top class players and get the stadium going, the last thing I want is to be like City with a group of massively over paid mercenaries who don't care one little bit about the club. I would like us to be able to sign a 20mil player without having to sell another first but I wouldn't want us to be offering massive wages and outrageous transfer fees to 5 new players every season.

Guest davelfc
Another thing is if the Chinese buy LFC, think of all the Liverpool jerseys sold amongst the 1 billion Chinese people. That enough can contribute each year to wages/transfers/etc

Most couldn't afford the socks never mind the shirt. But never fear I believe they have access to a few copies.

I don't know. The US Sovereign Fund is part of the US Treasury so would we be being bought by the equivalent of the Chinese Treasury? If so then the headline 'China set to buy Liverpool' is pretty apt as effectively our potential new 'owner' is part of a govt department.

If this happens I would expect they will invest x with an aim of a roi of y. That's it, end of equation, end of motivation.

I think, it's an opinion and may well be wrong, they will have no incentive to win anything. We won't be worse off, as there is a return in being top 4, and so I think they will aim for us to be like Arsenal is now, a sustainable business model that provides a good return to investors but does not have to win. It would be a nice bonus but there is insufficient return in buying the 2-3 players required to actually take a trophy. The difference in money between top 4 and first is x and the cost of the extra players is y so it's simply not commercially justifiable.

Also on a side note the ITK's from Rawk can all bugger off with their 'the people behind this love the club' posts. This isn't 'people' and that is what is concerning. Even if the Premier of China does sit down after a long day of boot heeled oppression and kick back with a Tsing Tao beer to watch Stevie and the boys - it doesn't change that we would become a diversified investment of a State Treasury and in the scheme of things an absolute gnats bite of an investment at that.

I'm a little bit worried, I've seen enough of the public sector to feel neither confident or inspired.

Also if things don't go well you can forget protesting, there's some people in a little place called Tibet who will tell you just how effective that would be...

I want to be more positive believe me and yes perhaps hoping for football loving individuals to buy the club was a bit unrealistic, but the chinese govt? Would it be possible to have a more faceless, emotionless owner?

i thought the idea of funds such as CIC is they don't get involved in running the club/business they invest in. They just go "we'll buy that and let the people who know how to run it, run it."

Most couldn't afford the socks never mind the shirt. But never fear I believe they have access to a few copies.

Dave should look to get the fanzine on the official English Language curriculum over there. He could then keep an eye on this site from his yacht.