You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

Rafa will have put his lapdog Evans up to that surely.

Why would his colleague at The Times Olly Kay say yesterday he is going then for this to be put out there today?

There is far too much spin coming out of the Rafa Benitez camp.

He should heed Tom Hicks advice and focus on coaching and managing the team.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I heard Tony Evans on Talk Sport this morning mention that Hicks had been in touch with Rafa over the weekend. He said that the situation may have improved since Friday in terms of Rafa staying.

How many times has Hicks told Rafa certain things only for the opposite to happen. He would be a fool to believe Hicks. If the club is up for sale, no one at the club can give Rafa long term assurances.

Assuming Rafa goes (and I can't see him not doing - in that press conference on Thursday he as good as said "I'm off"), I can't shake the feeling that it'll be out of the frying pan and into the fire. That's no reason for him to stay, mind you; just saying I can't see a glorious resurrection next season.

Any half decent manager will get us to at least 5th next season and probalby challenge for the title. Its quite possible Arsenal could struggle to make the top 4 next season. If Man City make the top 4 this season then that will change the dynamics as well.

If we keep our players I think whoever comes in will be deemed to be a success the real problem is what happens the season after next.

Any half decent manager will get us to at least 5th next season and probalby challenge for the title.

To be honest, Nick, I think that's madly optimistic. We have a paper-thin squad, with only one class striker, no quality wide players, desperately poor full-backs, a permanenty crocked central midfielder, and a centre-back whose best days are well behind him. Yes, we need a new manager, but let's not kid ourselves about the scale of the rebuilding ahead of us to compensate for the mismanagement of the last three years in the board-room and in the dugout.

We'll have to sell Torres just to bring in the four or five first XI players we need, let alone to improve the squad depth.

Any half decent manager will get us to at least 5th next season and probalby challenge for the title. Its quite possible Arsenal could struggle to make the top 4 next season. If Man City make the top 4 this season then that will change the dynamics as well.

If we keep our players I think whoever comes in will be deemed to be a success the real problem is what happens the season after next.

How can you say that before the summer has happened? This squad wont challenge for the title whoever the manager is Nick.

To be honest, Nick, I think that's madly optimistic. We have a paper-thin squad, with only one class striker, no quality wide players, desperately poor full-backs, a permanenty crocked central midfielder, and a centre-back whose best days are well behind him. Yes, we need a new manager, but let's not kid ourselves about the scale of the rebuilding ahead of us to compensate for the mismanagement of the last three years in the board-room and in the dugout.

We'll have to sell Torres just to bring in the four or five first XI players we need, let alone to improve the squad depth.

Totally disagree with you with the exception that we are too dependent on Torres & Gerrard.

For me the Athletico game proved its about the system you play and the intent you play with and not just the players and we would have one if the manager hadnt played Johnson out of position but I shouldnt complain on that score because I would have played him there instead of Insusa much earlier in the season.

Also agree that we need two new fulllbacks but thats it IMO

Any 2 from Maxi, Beni and Johnson would be better than we have had this season for sure

Pepe, Agger, Mascher, Johnson, Stevie, AA, Torres, is a pretty good starting point and maybe Carra for one more season for any new manager

How can you say that before the summer has happened? This squad wont challenge for the title whoever the manager is Nick.

If we keep our players we will get more than 65 points next season whoever the manager is IMO

If we get Mourinho we will win the title

Tony Evans from the Times has been on Talk Sport saying that Rafa may still be at Anfield in August, and Hicks has put in a call over the weekend.

Fucking bizarre all this as only yesterday his colleague at The Times Olly Kay said he was on the brink of leaving.

Don't they liaise with each other there or something?

Why would his colleague at The Times Olly Kay say yesterday he is going then for this to be put out there today?

Seems like Rafa is keeping his options open. He wont give a definitive answer until he has a cast iron agreement from Juve. If the Juventus option falls through and no better offer is made then he'll stay put.

A phone call from Hicks eh. How reassuring that must have been. Any old port in a storm I suppose.

In my opinion, this squad is nowhere near good enough to challenge for the title.

We have some excellent players who would get into most (not all) teams competing for major honours:

Gerrard

Torres

Aquilani

Mascherano

Reina

Johnson

We have some good players who should be good enough to be at least squad players at most clubs:

Carragher

Agger

Benayoun

Maxi

We have some ok players who would be good enough for our squad:

Skrtel

Kyrgiakos

Aurelio

Reira

Babel

Ayala?

Kelly?

And we have some players who for different reasons are not good enough to represent the club:

Lucas

Kuyt

Ngog

Pacheco

Degen

Insua

So we may not all agree on my views as stated above, but I can't imagine many would disagree with my general view that we can't win anything with that lot.

So what will happen?

It's clear that without funding next season, we will be in a much worse place than this season. Regardless of who the manager is. If players are not given assurances about funding for next year. it is likely that some key names will decide to go in the next transfer window. We could lose Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano and Aquilani. We will undoubtedly be worse off in terms of squad. The manager would have a much harder time of it next year than this.

In this scenario, if Benitez leaves, it is likely he will be replaced by a manager with a lower profile, probably as an interim. This will undoubtedly have an impact on the playing staff. Some may decide to go immediately. It is not beyond the bounds of probability that Torres, Mascherano, Gerrard and perhaps others may take the opportunity to go.

Taking the same ownership scenario, if Benitez stays, it may reduce the possibility of Torres going, but increase the chances of Gerrard and Mascherano going. The only way I see Benitez staying is if he believes there is light at the end of the financial tunnel. Even then, he would be playing a risky game as I believe a new owner will install his own manager.

If a new owner is brought on board, or even just identified but commits to injecting transfer funds for the summer window, then that opens up a new world of possibilities.

As I have already stated, I believe a change of owner will bring about a change of manager anyway, but a statement of intent by the club and prospective new owners before the transfer window opens may be enough to persuade our key players to stick it out.

Outcomes in terms of preference (for me) are:

1. New owners in place, new manager in place

2. New owners in place, Benitez stays

3. Same owners, interim manager

4. Same owners, Benitez stays.

All i can say is rafa just go quietly and quickly, so we have plenty of time to get new owners in, a new manager in and a lot more would class players in ready for next season. Come on jose come and restore our pride

All this shite about assurances the manager has been bleating on about this week I think he needs to practice what he preaches to be honest.

He goes on about assurances regarding money and his job etc.

He let us down with his own assurances he gave us a few months ago that he would guarantee 4th place.

Something tells me he won't be as quick to mention this somehow.....

I don't think you can have a pop at him for that John. Most of us believed even when he said it we weren't going to get it. I'm sure that even for him it was an aspiration rather than an expectation. I'm certainly not going to criticise him for showing a bit of optimism.

In what way have they back tracked like?

Not read or seen anything on it today.

Benitez and Purslow had a major bust up a hour before the Madrid game.

I know Rafa's not everybody cup of tea on here,but believe me, Purslow is one devious sly little Cunt.

Do you mean like Purslows lapdogs Bascombe and Maddocks?

<TABLE class=storycontent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez refuses to discuss future

(Post Match Interveiw Video in link)

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=storybody>Expectations for season too high - Benitez

<!-- END - caption -->

<!-- end of the embedded player component --><!-- END of Inline Embedded Media --><!-- S SF -->

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez refused to answer questions about his future after a 2-0 loss to Chelsea ended any hope of qualifying for the Champions League.

Benitez, linked with a move to Italian club Juventus, was asked to confirm he will see out the remaining four years of his Liverpool contract.

"I prefer to talk about football," he said. "Managers cannot be talking about the speculation all the time."

Benitez plans to meet with new chairman Martin Broughton this week.

<!-- E SF -->The Spaniard has come under increasing pressure after a torrid season at the Anfield club.

Liverpool saw their final hopes of winning some silverware this season ended when they were knocked out of the Europa League semi-finals by Atletico Madrid in midweek.

The defeat at home to Chelsea on Sunday means they will miss out on Champions League football next season for the first time since they finished fifth in 2002/03.

"I have four years of a contract so we will see," added Benitez. "I was talking about the speculation during the last two or three weeks and I cannot be talking about it all the time.

"I have showed my commitment to the club and the fans in the past. I have four years of contract remaining and we have to keep working as hard as we can. We will try to do our best until the last day. We don't know when the last day is."

<!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=231 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5>o.gif</TD><TD class=sibStdQuote>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- E IBOX -->In the post-match press conference Benitez seemed to suggest the blame for their troubles should lie at the feet of co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, who last month officially put the club up for sale, for creating some of the problems Liverpool have experienced this season by failing to invest heavily in the squad.

"Always in the past two years the manager here has been taking responsibility for everything," he added.

"The reality is that if you compare with other teams in terms of money, power and the option you have in the market, you can analyse carefully and then you have answers.

"We will prepare for the next game (at Hull) and then start thinking about things for the future.

"The fans want to know [whether Benitez will be in charge next season] but I want to know what is going on next week against Hull.

"We have to concentrate on another game and then prepare for the future."

Benitez rejected any suggestion that the lacklustre post-match lap around Anfield was his farewell to the supporters.

"We have to say thank you to our fans, as always, because they have been very good," he added.

<!-- END - caption -->

<!-- end of the embedded player component --><!-- END of Inline Embedded Media -->Meanwhile, Fulham boss Roy Hodgson, who has been mentioned as a potential successor for Benitez after guiding the Cottagers to the Europa League final, dismissed speculation linking him with the Anfield hotseat.

Speaking after Fulham beat West Ham 3-2 on Sunday, Hodgson said: "I have got a contract here at Fulham. I am happy with the job I am doing.

"My name is sufficiently strong at the moment to be linked with other jobs and, of course, that is flattering and it is nice to hear. But as far as I am concerned it is speculation because I am at Fulham.

"We all prefer praise to criticism and love to hatred. It would be ludicrous to suggest I am not enjoying people saying and writing nice things about me and the team.

"But I am trying to keep a level head and keep things in perspective."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Edited by birkenhead