You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

Rafa looks absolutely drained and has aged considerably during his time at the club, and probably needs a fresh challenge. I imagine if he did walk away from Liverpool, then it would be a huge weight off his shoulders.

I think going now, after enduring so much crap, but before the owners go, would make all of the suffering meaningless, and he'll regret it for the rest of his career. Just what was it all about?

And this is something which indeed reflects badly on Rafa.

The way I see it, the lack of reinvestment during the summer painfully exposed Rafa's various transfer mistakes leading up to that point. Meanwhile, it didn't hit the Mancs as hard because they already had a much stronger squad in place overall.

I was referring more to the mindset of the manager and players. One group has admitted sulking and losing focus, the other has rolled their sleeves up and got on with the job.

And this is something which indeed reflects badly on Rafa.

The way I see it, the lack of reinvestment during the summer painfully exposed Rafa's various transfer mistakes leading up to that point. Meanwhile, it didn't hit the Mancs as hard because they already had a much stronger squad in place overall.

Not just that, it's also about the belief they have instilled in them from winning the league for the last three seasons in a row and before that. Our squad's fragile confidence from last season evaporated and Benitez was unable to correct it. Their's probably didn't even take a knock when Tevez and Ronaldo left. Their manager probably used it to galvanise them, especially Rooney.

I think going now, after enduring so much crap, but before the owners go, would make all of the suffering meaningless, and he'll regret it for the rest of his career. Just what was it all about?

True, but are the owners going anywhere?

I was referring more to the mindset of the manager and players. One group has admitted sulking and losing focus, the other has rolled their sleeves up and got on with the job.

Which of course was made easier by having a much stronger squad initially.

Not just that, it's also about the belief they have instilled in them from winning the league for the last three seasons in a row and before that. Our squad's fragile confidence from last season evaporated and Benitez was unable to correct it. Their's probably didn't even take a knock when Tevez and Ronaldo left. Their manager probably used it to galvanise them, especially Rooney.

Exactly my point, where was that resolve at Anfield?

We finished 1 point behind them in 05-06. There was hardly anything in it. He dismantled it when it didn't need to be.

I never thought we looked like being close to the title back then. More like the mancs at that time going through a similar period we are now.

No offence to him like, but the thought of Benitez being here next season horrifies me, don't think i could stand the prospect of another season of "controlling" games. Still, each to his own.

You needn't worry. Unfortunately this is also because the two Cunts aren't going anywhere for the forseeable future.

Exactly.

They, through their manager are coming from a place of confidence, confidence of being the dominant team for nearly 20 years.

Admittedly Rafa should have done better, but you have to compare it to us coming from a place of underachievement for 20 years, underachievement which has added layers and layers of pressure.

Plus the fact we've had three years gross mismanagement at boardroom level, while Ferguson has been publically backing their owners/board.

There's huge differences in the minsets of each club, which in some ways was reflected virtually every season for the last 15 years, and has come into even sharper focus this season.

But recovered to win 3, possibly 4 successive championships.

Because they've got one of the best managers in history (much as it pains me to say it) who is generally backed by the board in every way.

Where are we gonna get one each of those, a supportive board and one of the best managers in history?

Just one of them would be a start.

Confusion reigns. What a fucking mess we are in.

As much as I want a change of Manager, the reality is that we won't be able to move forward as a club until Hicks and Gillett are gone and I'm not convinced that they are going anywhere.

Who is actually in charge of Liverpool FC these days - Broughton, Hicks, Gillett, Purslow, RBS?

My passion for the game and love of this club is rapidly being eroded away.

Because they've got one of the best managers in history (much as it pains me to say it) who is generally backed by the board in every way.

Where are we gonna get one each of those, a supportive board and one of the best managers in history?

Just one of them would be a start.

Not with money he hasn't, that myth has been nailed numerous times on here and in the press.

That's a good point and one I hadn't considered on the other thread about Rafa's replacement. However, the fact remains that it's going to be nigh on impossible to attract a name from the very top of the managerial tree with our current situation as it is. Why would Mourinho, for example, leave the (probably) European and domestic champions with huge money to spend to join a side with no money, dysfunctional ownership that looks no closer to resolution and a lack of CL football?

The only way I can see someone like him coming is for the glory of resurrecting a sleeping giant. However, you could argue that Real Madrid are that and the odds would be stacked much more in his favour if he went there simply by virtue of the fact that their current and future playing resources are so much greater than ours.

In short, we're in the shit, aren't we? Even if we do get a great manager simply by virtue of being Liverpool, he'd be walking into the toughest job of his life with the odds very much against him succeeding.

But surely that's the most likely outcome in the very short term? Until a buyer is in place, or at least funds are made available, if Benitez gets what he's after and moves on, there'll be an interim manager (in all but name) installed.

Any 'name' manager will not be interested unless there is an guarantee that funds would be made available well before the close of the transfer window. If that is the case, any manager that is not a recognised top coach taking the job would be regarded as interim.

Not with money he hasn't, that myth has been nailed numerous times on here and in the press.

Yes he has, it's not a myth.

I'm not comparing it to anyone else's spend, but to say Ferguson/Man Utd have not spent big over these last 5, 10, 15 years is a fucking joke. Joke.

And even if he hadn't spent, which he has, it would only prove just how good a manager he is, which only emphasises my point further.

Yes he has, it's not a myth.

I'm not comparing it to anyone else's spend, but to say Ferguson/Man Utd have not spent big over these last 5, 10, 15 years is a fucking joke. Joke.

And even if he hadn't spent, which he has, it would only prove just how good a manager he is, which only emphasises my point further.

About £5m a year under the Glazers, it was published in their accounts and reported by every national newspaper.