You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was posted on the Barclays Capital Appointed to Find a Purchaser for the Club Thread

Owners own, managers manage – what about the MD?

Posted on April 29th, 2010 by Anfield Road

By Tom Wilson

“At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques”

Having failed in his mandate to deliver investment to Liverpool Football Club, a nonfulfillment that resulted in him having his remit reduced and lead to the appointment of Martin Broughton and Barclays Capital, it appears that Christian Purslow is filling the gaps in his increasingly sparse schedule by meddling in areas that don’t concern him.

Despite being a lifelong supporter and long time season ticket holder, the Liverpool managing director has, on occasion, paid scant regard to Shankly’s famous “Holy Trinity” mantra.

To all intents and purposes, it appears that the Liverpool MD, when not desperately seeking the approval of certain senior members of the first team squad, is trying to desperately compensate for his demotion of sorts by both securing his position, satisfying his ego by painting himself as some kind of “Mr Liverpool” figure, whilst at the same time undermining the manager at every turn in a childish, narcissistic fit of pique.

Not happy with just having an unhealthy influence over big hitter and Daily Telegraph football correspondent Henry Winter, Christian is reputedly bending the collective ears of anyone with an outlet who’ll listen to his propaganda.

Propaganda which resulted in this piece by Sam Wallace and Mark Fleming in The Independent.

As if the seemingly deliberate timing of the article wasn’t bad enough – on the eve of Liverpool’s biggest game of the season – it also illustrates perfectly the delusions of grandeur of the former middle market equity boss, who it is believed was the source of the story.

Anfield Road has learned that whilst the club may very well be targeting Dutch midfielder Rafael Van Der Vaart, and indeed Real Madrid may have been approached already about the 27 year old, it has been without the knowledge, permission, or say-so of the first team manager or his staff.

These revelations initially came to light that last week in Madrid at the Vicente Calderon where Purslow was holding court with the various members of the press pack, boasting of a meeting with Florentino Perez, claiming that he had been offered “Van der Vaart and a striker”.

At that point in time the manager didn’t even know Purslow had been talking transfers with Real Madrid, he certainly hadn’t asked him to, yet Purslow saw no problems at all in broadcasting the news to the press. Benítez, as a result, is believed to feel both undermined and unnerved having inevitably been informed of such developments.

Whilst it may not be absolutely essential to have a “football background” to hold a senior position at a club, to actively interfere over the manager’s head on transfer policy is tantamount to treason and is a stunning dereliction of duty from a man who seems to revel in the status that his title bequeaths him.

“We need to have the owners own and the managers manage.”

- CP, SOS meeting minutes, 2nd February 2010.

Whether such indiscretions are part of a deliberate campaign to unsettle the manager, or merely the acts of a man desperate for the world to know his importance aren’t clear.

Although if it is the former, it would be without the blessing of the club’s owners who are desperate to keep the turbulence surrounding the club to an absolute minimum as they look for someone to stump up the best part of £500,000,000 to take the club out of their hands.

If it is the latter, then he at least should know that no man is bigger than the club, no board member is bigger than the manager, and needs to learn the meaning of the word decorum.

Having appointed Broughton, who is yet to meet Benítez, chiefly in an effort to break deadlock at boardroom level in order to sell the club, the last thing that Liverpool and its owners need is a war of attrition between its manager and managing director.

There is little doubt that Christian Purslow is a Liverpool fan and came into the club with the best intentions, in all probability giving up a much better paid job to do so, to land one which every Liverpool fan in the country is convinced they could do.

Therein lies the issue

A fan cannot run a football club, indeed, the evidence of such catastrophes are scattered down the leagues; essentially it’s the ultimate poisoned chalice as logic and reason go out of the window.

It may very well be his perceived raison d’être that has blinded him somewhat, stripped away the cold-eyed professionalism that is required to run a club the size of Liverpool FC.

There is no doubt that in his heart he only wants the best for the club, but if he steps back and takes stock, his head may tell him the best thing for the club would be for him to step down, thus helping achieve the aim in what he set out to do in the first place.

No bloody wonder we brought Broughton in. Frig me if you have got Rafa and Purslow at each other, players like wtf and owners who dont know their arse from there elbow, potential investors must have been what is this, nursery?!?! Broughton is best staying away from this all and I get the feeling he is doing. Hope he is the one giving the orders now.

Apologies for another Rafa thread but i just wanted to share this with you.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift | Liverpool - Times Online

Rafael Benítez could bid an emotional farewell to Anfield tomorrow after a breakdown of trust between the Liverpool manager and the board.

The club’s hierarchy believe Benítez is “playing games” as he weighs up an offer to take over at Juventus.

Sources at Anfield ......

I stopped reading after those words. Its the problem with the British press that we can write stories and don't have to disclose the source unlike other countries therefore they can write bullshit.

Well when our managers agents is/are blatantly negotiating with another club prior to this game then is it any wonder?

This Purslow fella, big mates with Dalglish. I take it Rafa is pissed with Dalglish as well then? Poor Rafa, always hard done to.

If he even tries to take on Dalglish then he will be on to a massive loser straight away.

I think it's self explanatory Mick,assurances that there would be a transfer budget,apparently there is no budget,Rafa as to sell to buy.

Purslow said he hoped to have investment in by February of this year,Easter at the latest.

There was potentially 30 investors but when contacted, the number whittled down to 6 serious bidders.

Where is the investment Christian?

The Rhone investment was a legit one by all accounts,Purslow had found a invester.

Rafa new about this,but days before pen was put to paper,unknown to Rafa C+A had managed to get Broughton to agree to find a buyer.

When they new they had Broughton on board,they dropped the deal rhone were about to sign as they want to sell.

It came as no surprise when all of the Juve rumours reappeared a day or so later,if you get what I mean.

As you would imagine Rafa wasn't happy,then all this he is off to Juve stuff.

This Purslow fella, big mates with Dalglish. I take it Rafa is pissed with Dalglish as well then? Poor Rafa, always hard done to.

Wasn't it Rafa who pushed for Kenny to come back? I think you may be off base with this.

Well when our managers agents is/are blatantly negotiating with another club prior to this game then is it any wonder?

If he even tries to take on Dalglish then he will be on to a massive loser straight away.

John,care to tell us where Rafa as fell out with Dalglish?

Because who've mentioned it earlier and now it seems to be fact.

The Rhone investment was a legit one by all accounts,Purslow had found a invester.

Rafa new about this,but days before pen was put to paper,unknown to Rafa C+A had managed to get Broughton to agree to find a buyer.

When they new they had Broughton on board,they dropped the deal rhone were about to sign as they want to sell.

It came as no surprise when all of the Juve rumours reappeared a day or so later,if you get what I mean.

As you would imagine Rafa wasn't happy,then all this he is off to Juve stuff.

Exactly. I dont know why someone is trying to spin it that purslow didnt find any investor (well I do but that's another story). He did find an investor(s) and got a bid of over 100m. He met his remit full on.

I dont recall his remit being he also had to get the agreement of the owners before declaring he'd met this remit either.

I dont see how purslow can be said to have failed when the final decision of accepting any offer of investment rests with the 2 owners.

Wasn't it Rafa who pushed for Kenny to come back? I think you may be off base with this.

I am not convinced by that at all. Possibly a stipulation of his contract. Even if he did, a year is a long time in football, especially where Rafa Benitez is concerned.

I just don't buy all this Purslow is the big bad ogre stuff at all while Rafa is like a sacrificial lamb spiel people seem to be getting at.

If the Rhone figures quoted at the time were correct ( £100m for 40% ) it was surely a non-starter from the get-go.

C+A were not happy about the Rhone offer,but that was the only option they had until Broughton agreed to sell us.

If Broughton had not agreed,it seems nailed on the Rhone deal would of happend.

Hicks needs to sell as fast as he can.

He is virtually bankrupt and is being sued by at least 3 diffrent people over a land issue in the States.

In summary:

The club is in a mess, both on and off the pitch.

No one knows what's going on.

Rafa has nothing to do with any of it since he is just concentrating on the next game.

In other words: nothing new.

John,care to tell us where Rafa as fell out with Dalglish?

Because who've mentioned it earlier and now it seems to be fact.

Not saying it is fact John but I would be very interested in the minutes of the meeting with SOS and Rafa from the March meeting. We know Rafa will probably have gone to town on Purslow there. With Dalglish being a close ally of Purslow are you totally convinced the other way?

Not saying it is fact John but I would be very interested in the minutes of the meeting with SOS and Rafa from the March meeting. We know Rafa will probably have gone to town on Purslow there. With Dalglish being a close ally of Purslow are you totally convinced the other way?

John,with the greatest of respect Purslow no more of a mate of Kenny than you or I.

I am not convinced by that at all. Possibly a stipulation of his contract. Even if he did, a year is a long time in football, especially where Rafa Benitez is concerned.

I just don't buy all this Purslow is the big bad ogre stuff at all while Rafa is like a sacrificial lamb spiel people seem to be getting at.

That's highly unlikely.

Look, no one's saying Rafa's blameless in any of this, but you seem to be getting a bit carried away with your disenchantment with Rafa Benitez.

I've had my doubts about Purslow ever since Henry Winter started talking him up, and it's completely disconnected from the Benitez issue as far as I'm concerned. Winter makes his living these days by carrying out stitch jobs under the guise of being a football journalist, and the more he goes on about how cultured Purslow is and how it's just a matter of time before 'Rafa's cold hand is thankfully at last being prised from the Liverpool tiller', the more I doubt Purslow's competence for the job.

The MD should not be undermining the manager. Regardless of what the manager is doing.

John,without getting into a war of words,your talking through your arse if you think Rafa had to bring back Kenny as part of his new contract

John, a couple of people have mentioned this Rafa/Kenny thing to me. TBH I never really gave it much thought. I just put it down as yet another rumour. I'm putting 2+2 and probably getting 5 here but if Rafa is having problems with Purslow and Kenny being Purslows mate, blah blah blah. TBH I was hoping you could shed some light on it.

As for Rafa asking for Kenny to be brought back. I will never believe it. There is no way Rafa would have wanted someone at the club with a bigger influence over the fans than him.

So we get rid of Parry who apart from a fuck up list as long as Red Rum's knob, undermined the manager on many occasions, and his replacement of sorts approaches another club about one of their players without the coaching staff knowing. Our head of HR needs shooting.