You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he has, it's not a myth.

I'm not comparing it to anyone else's spend, but to say Ferguson/Man Utd have not spent big over these last 5, 10, 15 years is a fucking joke. Joke.

And even if he hadn't spent, which he has, it would only prove just how good a manager he is, which only emphasises my point further.

Manchester United quiet in transfer market since Malcolm Glazer's takeover - Telegraph

Have a laugh at that, I'm off to the game.

It wouldn't surprise me. Apparently Hicks has contacted Rafa over the weekend.

What's Hicks got to do with this? He's on the way out, and even if he did stay, he's broke.

Tony Evans was apparently on the radio this morning saying things "have been brought back from the brink"...according to a tweet by Paul Tomkins.

I'm not even going to bother reading it.

I know the figures, I also know the net figures (or gross figures for that matter) don't tell the whole story.

Besides, you're still missing the point that he's one of the best managers ever, probably top 3, who's universally supported by the board, fans, and everyone at the club.

Our manager is not.

So to compare the two situations as if identical is silly.

The talk about what agents are getting up to is disingenuous. Agents are supposed to be pro-active. If there's any potential problem on the horizon they act to explore some attractive options. So all the talk about Benitez's agent and what they're 'getting up to' is just damn silly. The same goes for the club sounding out potential replacements. If there's any kind of tension between the two, that's what happens. So you can take off the cardboard Woodward and Bernstein masks now and drink your milk. This thread's no less speculative now than it was 13 pages ago.

What about Benitez meeting personally with Roberto Bettega in Manchester two saturdays ago? Is that 'proactive' too? Is it 'disingenuous' to mention that too?

I can't believe he is able to hold us to ransom and have us begging him to stay after the season we have just had, and the millions he and Macia have wasted in the transfer market. It beggars belief - at any other team purporting to be a 'big club' he would have been dismissed. Still, looks like Uncle Tom may have persuaded him to stay after all?

What about Benitez meeting personally with Roberto Bettega in Manchester two saturdays ago? Is that 'proactive' too? Is it 'disingenuous' to mention that too?

I can't believe he is able to hold us to ransom and have us begging him to stay after the season we have just had, and the millions he and Macia have wasted in the transfer market. It beggars belief - at any other team purporting to be a 'big club' he would have been dismissed. Still, looks like Uncle Tom may have persuaded him to stay after all?

In order to see through the sale of the club perhaps?

Holding us to ransom?

Shut up.

So you're a clown who obviously doesn't mind being given promise after promise by a couple of charlatans only for them to be broken and just walk away without something for it.

again with the transfer spending bollocks - united have outspent Liverpool in wages by 20m + a year for a decade plus -

Chelsea have outspent Liverpool in wages by even more over the last 5 years

however much benitez has or has not spent on transfers the difference in spend on players in favour of the glory boys is enormous certainly in the hundreds of millions

just comparing transfer fees is ridiculous it takes no account of home grown players or free transfers, no account of the hikes in wages that the successful transfers demand if they aren't going to leave

studies have show that wages are 6 times more significant in determining where you'll finish than fees and that doesn't mean just pay your players more the amount players are paid is determined by market forces - they get roughly the right rate for the quality of player they are. If they're paid too much the club try to ship them out, if they are paid too little they demand more or leave.

Benitez reveals contract frustration

Sun, 02 May 11:51:42 2010

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is reported to have claimed that the club have broken promises made to him before he signed a new five-year contract just over a year ago.

The Spaniard has admitted his future beyond the end of the current season is unclear, and has been quoted in several of Sunday's national newspapers as saying that the conditions at Anfield had changed since he agreed his new contract.

He said: "I decided to sign an extension because the squad was good and the money was going to be there. But the conditions changed.

"We've had a bad season and hopefully things will be different in the future, but at the moment I can't talk about the future because I don't know what's going on."

Benitez said a similar situation unfolded at Valencia, leading to him leaving the Spanish club for Liverpool in 2004.

"I left Valencia because conditions changed," he added. "It was not a question of my money that I stayed at Liverpool. I said `no' to other massive offers. I decided to stay under certain conditions and they have changed. The players share the same frustrations. I know how they feel because I've been talking to them all season. The season has not been good, that is clear. We know why and what has to change."

Link

So the way this is written, it's saying that he's going to leave for Juventus and sue the club for his payoff citing breach of contract (which if I recall correctly was what he did when he left Valencia to join us) which in turn would mean that this information has been put out into the public domain by Rafa's associates as a damage limitation/media management excersise?

Considering how little he's spoken out about the owners/money/transfer situation to the media this season compared to the previous ones, I assumed he'd agreed to a gagging clause of some kind in his new contract, presumably along the lines of "the club will agree to make more funds available for transfers and you'll agree to stop spouting off to the papers about it".

If those comments are reported accurately, it would seem to be a clear indicator that he's off, both by what he's said and the fact that he's said it at all.

Link

So the way this is written, it's saying that he's going to leave for Juventus and sue the club for his payoff citing breach of contract (which if I recall correctly was what he did when he left Valencia to join us) which in turn would mean that this information has been put out into the public domain by Rafa's associates as a damage limitation/media management excersise?

Considering how little he's spoken out about the owners/money/transfer situation to the media this season compared to the previous ones, I assumed he'd agreed to a gagging clause of some kind in his new contract, presumably along the lines of "the club will agree to make more funds available for transfers and you'll agree to stop spouting off to the papers about it".

If those comments are reported accurately, it would seem to be a clear indicator that he's off, both by what he's said and the fact that he's said it at all.

That's how I see it too, trying to get the general opinion on his side. Sounds like a near identical case to the Valencia exit.

We all know Rafa's use of politics when it comes to such things.

Started today 100% sure he was going and was willing to but my name to it, and I still think most likely he will, strange but Tony Evans and Ollie Kay have all start back tracking today and seem to think something may have happened, strange times ahead

I dont think any of them have a clue what is going on, the only one i genuinely has insights in the club is Tony Barrett.