You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Players you or your mates have met, what were they like?

Section_31

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrard - Quiet

Alonso - Really happy and open

Nunez - Looked like he'd never seen people before

Pongolle - Likes a joke

Hyypia - Best person you could ever meet

Cisse - briliant considering he had a broken foot

Mellor - Wanted to be loved

Biscan - Walked out the shower with his cock out.

This was all in Melwood the day after Olympiacos 2004.

Guest Pistonbroke

A friend of mines sister was married to Andy Payton who played for Hull, Boro and Celtic amongst other teams. He was a right fucking tosser.

Met Crazy Horse when I was a kid, he was great. Said hello to Carra on holiday. Got Davey Thompson to take a photo of the family on the same hol, just when he retired, nice lad.

And best of all got a photo with and chatted to Robbie after the 2007 national, in the Radisson, quality fella, honest and not hurried, great bloke.

Gerrard - Quiet

Alonso - Really happy and open

Nunez - Looked like he'd never seen people before

Pongolle - Likes a joke

Hyypia - Best person you could ever meet

Cisse - briliant considering he had a broken foot

Mellor - Wanted to be loved

Biscan - Walked out the shower with his cock out.

This was all in Melwood the day after Olympiacos 2004.

Haha, excellent.

The brother of a mate of mine played for our youth team and the reserves in the late 90's and he was invited to the players Christmas party one year and took along another lad who he thought could be trusted after ruling out most of his mates on the grounds they were dodgy bastards.

Anyway, it's fairly early in the night and my mate's brother and friend are chatting in the lounge of the Moat House when over strolls Stan "dogging" Collymore:

Collymore - "Alright R***, alright mate, how's it going?

Mate of my mate's brother - "Fuck off Collymore you're shit!"

Collymore wanders back over to Jason McAteer, Phil Babb, Neil Ruddock and Robbie Fowler who are trying their best not to laugh, suitably unimpressed.

Later that evening, this same lad skins up in the Moat House bar and starts smoking his spliff (smoking in bars obviously hadn't been ruled out at this time, in case any younger readers were wondering). Next thing, Phil Babb walks over:

Babb - "Alright mate, I'm shit too, on you next with that spliff."

Babb then gets the spliff passed to him, and the story is then passed on to a smallish group of lads in Runcorn.

I've never told this story to anyone else before, but Babb's bad attitude/unprofessionalism and Collymore getting put in his place amused me when I heard this tale, and I thought of it when reading through this thread.

Used to be pretty decent mates with former red Layton Maxwell when we were in the same class in school and the same junior side, he was always pretty sound if not rather impressed with himself...as he had every right to be really.

An odd one, but one that needs mentioning, was Brett Angell. He was one of the coaching instructors when I took my Level 2 with the FA and he was a really sound bloke. He got dragged into a few drills at one point and he was still fucking class.

Pongolle, at Concert Square with his Chrysler 300m with big rims and tinted windows. Was sound, but acted a little pricky. I have a picture of his car somewhere.

Pennant, didn´t meet him, but saw him after the Chelsea 2007 game, strolling down Walton Breck Road in his Range Rover Sport with the windows open and music on.

David Johnson, before Benfica 2005/06, telling stories etc, he signed my JFT 96 shirt to, but didn´t react to the labeling.

Jay Spearing, at the Liverpool - Sunderland reserve games, had a pic with him, he was nice, but on facebook with his blackberry all the time.

Martin Skrtel, near Matthew Street, with his girl and his Audi Q7, I shouted - Martin, and he came over and took a pic with me and my mate. Sound lad.

Phil Neal, telling stories and I asked him what car he had when he was a player, and what he tought about Babels Bentley, he laughed and told us that he had a Lada with a gearhandel he could take with him in to the dressing room etc, so he could just leave the keys in the car.

Harry Kewell, and other Leeds players when the played Steinkjer IL in Norway, signed my match programme. Don´t remember more.

Was to meet Carra in Oslo for his president in the Scandinavian Liverpool Branch, but he couldn´t come, it was my birthday and all, really dissapointed.

A few of us from Dublin were over in Birmingham for a stag in 02. One of the lads had a connection to Steve Staunton. Stan organised top tickets all free for the whole party for Villa park including meals in players lounge. He met us after the game and we all went on the lash. A gentleman and great craic. Later in the evening when we were all fairly well on including stan. I witness him take a dump on the side of the road. Classic.

Aldo - Very brief but seemed sound.

Nicky Butt in Manchester airport - really decent bloke. Had a good chat and got a pic with him. It was the Monday after the last day of the Prem last season so he was a bit down in the dumps but a top bloke.

Fairclough and Alan Kennedy - It was at a do that you pay to go for a dinner speech thing and you got to get your picture taken with the real European Cup. Fairclough was just ok, Kennedy was sound and very funny. Both them signed my picture with them so I was happy.

Molby, Yates, Phil Neal - One of the best nights of my life. We were at a HJC fundraiser last year and these 3 were guest speakers. We got bladdered in the bar it was in, got a quick autograph on an old jersey and we left and headed to a disco.

We went back to our hotel about 3am and seen the bar still open so headed in. Next we noticed the lads in the corner, just them, Pam who organised the night and some couple.

Over we went, pissed as a fart and asked if we could join them. After about 30 mins we were talking about footy like mates do when they are drunk. Ron went to bed and the couple headed off too. It was just me, my mates, Pam, Jan and Phil. Jan can drink like a fish I must add.

We got some great stories from Jan from years ago about the players, Phil was absolutely pissed it was great. Jan said he reckoned Xabi is better than him which was surprising as even though he was absolutely sound towards us he comes across a bit arrogant, which is understandable.

Phil was very humble, told us he is embarrased to be called Zico. He also told us that he really, really loves the club and the city.

We ended up staying up drinking till after 6 in the morning during which time Jan burst into Scouser Tommy, more songs followed, couldn't believe we were singing Liverpool songs with Phil Neal and Jan Molby.

Absolutely great night, it's one thing meeting players or ex players but to sit drinking with them and talk footy and sing Liverpool songs was amazing.

The brother of a mate of mine played for our youth team and the reserves in the late 90's and he was invited to the players Christmas party one year and took along another lad who he thought could be trusted after ruling out most of his mates on the grounds they were dodgy bastards.

Anyway, it's fairly early in the night and my mate's brother and friend are chatting in the lounge of the Moat House when over strolls Stan "dogging" Collymore:

Collymore - "Alright R***, alright mate, how's it going?

Mate of my mate's brother - "Fuck off Collymore you're shit!"

Collymore wanders back over to Jason McAteer, Phil Babb, Neil Ruddock and Robbie Fowler who are trying their best not to laugh, suitably unimpressed.

Later that evening, this same lad skins up in the Moat House bar and starts smoking his spliff (smoking in bars obviously hadn't been ruled out at this time, in case any younger readers were wondering). Next thing, Phil Babb walks over:

Babb - "Alright mate, I'm shit too, on you next with that spliff."

Babb then gets the spliff passed to him, and the story is then passed on to a smallish group of lads in Runcorn.

I've never told this story to anyone else before, but Babb's bad attitude/unprofessionalism and Collymore getting put in his place amused me when I heard this tale, and I thought of it when reading through this thread.

i could understand that after he left but im suprised he said that to Collymore then, as he was one of our best players

Lest we forget http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/64873-john-barnes.html

I travelled on a plane from Dublin to Liverpool after an Ireland game and sat behind Jim Beglin. He was just really friendly. All the north-west based players were on the plane, and McAteer's shampoo ad was only out in Ireland at the time, so none of them had probably seen it. He'd have got some stick otherwise.

Mark "Thatch Head" Lawrenson was there. Didn't think much of him then, either.

A mate of mine met Dirk Kuyt in Camelot. He was sound as a pound even though he was on family time.