You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SOS Minutes with Purslow meeting

Red_or_Dead

That's how I see it also. I think RBS for all intents and purposes are now running the show with Purslow as their man.

That is what I believe is happening. Quite obviously they are making their position clear and letting any interested parties know the full picture.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All interesting stuff which I'm reading as good news. Something is happening which has got to be an improvement on the impasse over the last 12 months or so.

I'm still cutting Purslow some leeway because I suspect he'll be the main reason if we ever do get out of this mess (and I don't particularly care if he does alright for himself in the process).

Thats by no means knocking what SOS do but i do feel that sometimes the heart rules the head and in time could turn out to be a bad thing and the reason ive not joined to help the cause to me it needs a more profesional approach.

Then perhaps you should join and help produce "a more professional approach" from within.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't care if he's a raging egotist (it would be more of a shock if he wasn't considering the world and level within it that he operates in) and a Machiavellian, game-playing cunt as long he does what he says is his job and sorts out the finance and ownership problems. I'm still undecided about him, but I can't get away from the sneaking suspicion that he's actually a decent Red trying to do his best for the club. As I said, I'm not sure. Hopefully time (and not a lot of it) will tell.

I've stuck up for him on many occasions on here, right from the start. This isn't because I'm loyal to him, or because I want to bum him (although...). It is simple logic that he could be elsewhere, earning more money for doing much less work.

I think you're taking the right stance.

Actually it can knock things back.

Anythings possible. But once the media have a hold of it, it puts more pressure on G&H. Too many of our fans have no idea of what's going on; I know that, because I've had the pleasure of educating some of them.

Others don't believe the ownership / debt situation has anything to do with our inability to replace injured players, etc.

Maybe this will wake a few people up.

I think, as Dirk called it, and a few others have said since, that he's playing this one very strategically.

He knows that SOS will spread the word about the minutes but then puts out minutes which make him seem a little less anti-owner. I don't think G&H have the power to sack him. I think that RBS have told them he's running the show or they'll pull the plug. The clarity that we are now operating as a sell before we buy club is also appreciated, even if he did try to muddy it a bit.

Seriously fucked up how we got to this point.

One thing I would say is that is CP wants the protests stopped so he can encourage investment he should be told to fuck off.

The management team have done nothing to deserve the trust of the fans and if anything in those minutes is true protest should be stepped up.

We have been lied to and robbed of our club. If he thinks we should sit back and trust him he is deluded. Whatever his motives.

Show us the money Mr Purslow.

I think SOS are in a difficult position but personally i would take the minutes down.

Christian Purlsow has already said in that interview that its his 'goal' to remove the current owners so if these minutes continue to be public knowledge then the chances are it will result in Purslow going.

Its worth noting that whilst we as fans need to know whats going off at the club i think for the long term good keeping Purlsow in his position is worth while.

If its true regards investment forthcoming in Easter then would this put that at risk if Purlsow is sacked.

I doubt they'll sack him,it's highly debatable that they hired him!

I think, as Dirk called it, and a few others have said since, that he's playing this one very strategically.

He knows that SOS will spread the word about the minutes but then puts out minutes which make him seem a little less anti-owner. I don't think G&H have the power to sack him. I think that RBS have told them he's running the show or they'll pull the plug. The clarity that we are now operating as a sell before we buy club is also appreciated, even if he did try to muddy it a bit.

Seriously fucked up how we got to this point.

Aye. Very strategic game indeed.

"My job is to find the £100m to reduce the debt, which is what the bank wants. Me or the bank don't care if this is for 1% or 100%, we simply don't care. But, hey, listen, no one will give that money for 1% or even 25%. Because they don't want less percentage than the owners. Also because their valuation is too high. Tom and George are cunts, they better listen to me if they are serious about attracting investment.

Actually, Tom and George are good guys. They have invested around £130m you know? They kept topping up the transfer account for the first few years and the bad form this season is definitely not because of them. They bought Aquilani and Johnson this summer you know? They are good guys but it is just a shame that they are poor now with no money to invest anymore. So, Tom and George, the world knows you are poor so you better lower your valuation. But you are good guys. Seriously.

And you guys, the fans, you can trust me lads. I'm the good guy, I don't lie, I don't spin, I say how it is because I'm a fan too. You know the £130m that George and Tom invested, that is borrowed too! But lads, don't expect us to invest lots in near future because that ain't gonna happen. You know why? the transfer funds are made of profits from the club but the profits are going towards RBS right now. But, don't be alarmed, whatever money Rafa made in January is still here and we already have plans for that money for the summer. Probably.

And yeah, the stadium, no work this year but don't worry. As soon as I find that investment, work will start next year. I cannot guarantee this of course but fans needn't worry. We will be self sustained. I'm the daddy here, I will make it happen. But again I cannot guarantee it.

Rafa is a good guy, he is definitely staying for a long time but then things have to improve. I'm sure we will be in the Champions League because Rafa has promised it publicly and Rafa better not spin this season's performance on the owners as it is not the case."

Wow, I wasn't expecting this when I logged in tonight. I really don't know what to make of it. He's either extremely naive by believing that SOS would never release complete minutes of what was actually said, or he's playing a very clever game in an attempt to oust the current ownership and move the club forward.

I'd love to believe that it's the latter but it's impossible to know really isn't it? The evidence would suggest that he's a very clever man and highly-rated in his line of work, however it's also feesible that he may have been on the understanding that he would be open and honest with SOS during any meetings, but a review of the minutes would be conducted to remove any inflammatory statements.

As I said, I really don't know how to interpet the situation. We'll see what happens, I guess.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this when I logged in tonight. I really don't know what to make of it. He's either extremely naive by believing that SOS would never release complete minutes of what was actually said, or he's playing a very clever game in an attempt to oust the current ownership and move the club forward.

I'd love to believe that it's the latter but it's impossible to know really isn't it? The evidence would suggest that he's a very clever man and highly-rated in his line of work, however it's also feesible that he may have been on the understanding that he would be open and honest with SOS during any meetings, but a review of the minutes would be conducted to remove any inflammatory statements.

As I said, I really don't know how to interpet the situation. We'll see what happens, I guess.

All he had to say is off the record. Three words, he knows what he is doing of that I have absolutely no doubt.

He may be many things but naive around meetings he is not.

I just hope his cunning plan works out.

Purslow had been told on a previous occasion that if he didn't sanction the minutes that they would go ahead with releasing them. That was following the meeting prior to this one. He'd had prior warning of how SoS planned to operate following these meetings. He has a Cambridge and a Harvard education, which implies that in all likelihood, that this was a strategic exercise from an extremely well educated and experienced executive.

If he wanted this out or the public eye then fair play to him but i have a feeling that he has played SOS a corker. Money on he knew exactly what SOS would publish and therefore will now (most likely) tell them to take along walk of a short pier the next time they want a meeting. The bloke aint stupid enough to take someones word as to what they will publish and what they wont. He didnt get to where he is today with being that bloody stupid

just to quote a line of the SOS site...

We recognise that this step may put our relationship with the senior management of the Club at risk....yep im afraid you walk straight into it

Thats by no means knocking what SOS do but i do feel that sometimes the heart rules the head and in time could turn out to be a bad thing and the reason ive not joined to help the cause to me it needs a more profesional approach.I mean no offence to anyone but what if perslow gets the boot? Whos next? someone that wont give a shit about the debt and let the club slide further into the shit? I think perhaps sending/resending your version to compare with his version with a covering note that you will publish both if an agreement cant be stuck just to back up the verbal deal would have been the better path.Ok yeah so we would have had to wait abit longer but who cares when the only real comunication with the club is at stake

We have informed him at every stage that everything was on the record and that we would be informing members of what would be said. He saw that first hand in September with the meeting then so knows how it works. Said the same to us this time and even said at one point in the meeting that he wished he could speak off the record. We would have refused if he had asked to. He knew all along that this would be going out to members. We gave him the minutes and he delayed and completely changed some key points in the meeting with what he said to us. Our duty is to our members to report what happens and we have done.

Purslow had been told on a previous occasion that if he didn't sanction the minutes that they would go ahead with releasing them. That was following the meeting prior to this one. He'd had prior warning of how SoS planned to operate following these meetings. He has a Cambridge and a Harvard education, which implies that in all likelihood, that this was a strategic exercise from an extremely well educated and experienced executive.

I can't argue with that, but equally I can't argue with what Piscinin is saying either. This is hardly a stable situation is it? Just because you have a Harvard education doesn't mean you can't make mistakes or be guilty of a miscalculation of judgement?

I hope he's planned it in a very cunning way because if he hasn't then he's clearly just as incompetent as his predecessor.

As I said, i'm sure we'll see more in the next few days but i'm trying to look at this positively.

It's certainly an eye-opener in terms of finances, although I knew this anyway I suppose. I think as things stand we're lucky that we have a squad full of excellent players but this is clearly going to become a huge issue in the months and years ahead, especially if no investment is secured before the summer.

Both and obviously inexperienced at dealing with PR Issues and people who don't follow normal business protocol?!?!?!?!?!?

Nonsense. He's been involved in serious commercial activity for years, and any shit for brains would have to suspect that 'the truth' will out, particularly when meeting with a group of potential loose cannons who have absolutely no compunction to toe the line. The brush-off that he gave to any serious engagement with SoS going forward is more indicative of his attitude.

I think SoS have done the right thing in this case; there's little value in providing what would essentially be another Tomkins-esque channel of communication. So, if he's not happy about it, then there won't be any more meetings - simple as that.

You can be your arse though that if new owners come in and retain Purslow, he'll be under instruction to get on the blower to SoS to set up a new dialogue pretty quickly.

Edited by stringvest

By the way, on reflection i'm really pleased with what SOS have done here.

I have a direct question for SOS here; seeing as you've now set a precedent, will you be seeking to release details of all previous meetings with figureheads of the club, where equally revealing statements have been alleged to have been made?

I'm not being confrontational here, i'm genuinely concerned that we see consistency.

I haven't heard anything at all. Think they are being very quiet with it all, even with press.

I thought the press would have been all over this like a rash. Not much happening this week and it is pretty big news.

What he said was almost in front of the full committee, it is pretty big news.

fuck me!

hes either-

been half a kip and caught with his pants down?

an man RBS that cant be sacked?

wanting to get sacked?

certain that g & h have had enough and just want out a.s.a.p?

being very clever by saying the club is much cheaper to buy now to attract the much needed investment?

been told by G & H to create an excuse to fuck S.O.S. for getting his son fucked off the board?

*or maybe S.O.S. are sick off being out done by M.U.S.T recently and decided to up the anti by releasing some of the record dynamite?

*i doubt it though as they could get in major pooh for that????????????

I can't argue with that, but equally I can't argue with what Piscinin is saying either. This is hardly a stable situation is it? Just because you have a Harvard education doesn't mean you can't make mistakes or be guilty of a miscalculation of judgement?

I hope he's planned it in a very cunning way because if he hasn't then he's clearly just as incompetent as his predecessor.

As I said, i'm sure we'll see more in the next few days but i'm trying to look at this positively.

It's certainly an eye-opener in terms of finances, although I knew this anyway I suppose. I think as things stand we're lucky that we have a squad full of excellent players but this is clearly going to become a huge issue in the months and years ahead, especially if no investment is secured before the summer.

Indeed, but having tried to piece together some sort of understanding of the way Purslow works - albeit from very limited sources - such as how he's been accompanying Rafa to pressers, giving interviews to Sky, obviously leaking stories to the press (Maddock seems to be one of his go to journalists) and now this, it seems he adopts a number of the PR strategies that Alastair Campbell does. Campbell would do most of those things and is the epitome of a slippery, plotting, Machiavellian cog turner.