You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

International Watch

Mathewbet1

Maradona Confirms Argentina Squad To Face Peru

Los Albicelestes are all set for the crucial showdown.

Oct 9, 2009 10:40:37 PM

Photo GalleryZoom

Maradona Tevez y Schiavi - Entrenamiento de la Argentina

Related Links

Teams

Argentina

In Argentina's final training session ahead of the decisive World Cup qualifier with Peru on Saturday, Diego Maradona, the coach of the side, confirmed his starting XI: Sergio Romero, Jonas Gutierrez, Rolando Schiavi, Gabriel Heinze. Emiliano Insua; Enzo Perez, Javier Mascherano, Angel Di Maria, Pablo Aimar, Lionel Messi and Gonzalo Higuain.

As was expected Real Madrid's Higuain will partner Barcelona's Messi in what promises to be an intimidating attack. Aimar, Di Maria and Insua will also be provided with the opportunity to prove their worth.

Those eleven players in the team performed dead-ball work during the training session which took place on Friday afternoon behind closed doors in Ezeiza.

Then Maradona observed the side against the Argentina U-17 squad. After the training match the players underwent a cooling down process. Fortunately for Maradona no players were injured.

The players who will need to be careful against Peru so that they don't miss the match with Uruguay next week are Lionel Messi, Jonas Gutierrez, Javier Mascherano and Gabriel Heinze, all on yellow cards. Martin Demichelis could also risk suspension, but he will begin the match from the bench.

Argentina will need to claim maximum points against Peru in order to remain with possibilities of securing one of the two automatic World Cup berths still available.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe I love Diego, but he's seriously out of his depth here. Really hope they qualify though, the world cup wouldn't be the same without them.

I was just going to say the same. I love the World Cup, it's fucking boss.

For me, the pre-requisites to a great tournament are:

1) England not being there.

2) Argentina and Brazil ruling.

3) Crazy African teams.

4) An eccentric goalkeeper.

5) A 28 year old player who is really 45.

6) Swedish and Brazilian birds always getting close ups.

7) Italy getting bummed.

We won't have all of that next time round but i'm still hopeful.

I just wanted to say, that major tournaments aside, I fucking hate international football. This weekend is a write-off because of it. Can't wait for next week; i'll be pissed by about now somewhere in Sunderland - boss!

Well, Ireland-Italy, Russia-Germany, Denmark-Sweden, and Portugal-Hungary all look pretty tasty to me in the circumstances...

I too want to see The Argies at the world cup, but I'd rather see Insua and Mascherano both sent off after five minutes so they could fly home. I've not been overly impressed with either of them so far this season, but we need a fully fit first team as we're pretty threadbare beyond it.

I was just going to say the same. I love the World Cup, it's fucking boss.

For me, the pre-requisites to a great tournament are:

1) England not being there.

2) Argentina and Brazil ruling.

3) Crazy African teams.

4) An eccentric goalkeeper.

5) A 28 year old player who is really 45.

6) Swedish and Brazilian birds always getting close ups.

7) Italy getting bummed.

We won't have all of that next time round but i'm still hopeful.

That's a beautiful post! Brings back great memories