You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noel Gallagher quits Oasis

Mendoza

Some heavy shit here - "band mates" ?

"29/08/09

Dearly beloved, it is with a heavy heart and a sad face that I say this to you this morning.

As of last Friday the 28th August, I have been forced to leave the Manchester rock'n'roll pop group Oasis.

The details are not important and of too great a number to list. But I feel you have the right to know that the level of verbal and violent intimidation towards me, my family, friends and comrades has become intolerable. And the lack of support and understanding from my management and band mates has left me with no other option than to get me cape and seek pastures new.

I would like firstly to offer my apologies to them kids in Paris who'd paid money and waited all day to see us only to be let down AGAIN by the band. Apologies are probably not enough, I know, but I'm afraid it's all I've got.

While I'm on the subject, I'd like to say to the good people of V Festival that experienced the same thing. Again, I can only apologise - although I don't know why, it was nothing to do with me. I was match fit and ready to be brilliant. Alas, other people in the group weren't up to it.

In closing I would like to thank all the Oasis fans, all over the world. The last 18 years have been truly, truly amazing (and I hate that word, but today is the one time I'll deem it appropriate). A dream come true. I take with me glorious memories.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have a family and a football team to indulge.

I'll see you somewhere down the road. It's been a fuckin' pleasure.

Thanks very much

NG"

Lump in my throat reading that. I am taking this badly. How do people think Oasis will be remembered in 20-30 years time if you like them or not?

Ironically John Lennon summed it up perfectly when The Beatles split up.

"It's just natural, it's not a great disaster. People keep talking about it like it's The End of The Earth. It's only a rock group that split up, it's nothing important. You know, you have all the old records there if you want to reminisce."

Exactly. My favourite band is Radiohead but if they split tomorrow, sure i'd be a bit pissed off, but not to the extent of the mourning in this thread, and i love Radiohead. But I also know that Tom Yorke is more than capable, as the main songwriter, of performing more than adequately by himself, likewise Noel Gallagher. It's not like they've died or anything.

Ah, the myth that they only did two good albums.

I just think the more that myth is perpetuated the more people seem to believe it. The last two albums Don't Believe The Truth and Dig Out Your Soul have many moments on there which are as good as anything they have ever done.

The first two are rightly lauded as their best two.

Be here Now was a cocaine ravaged overblown album which still had moments of genius on it and I will always have a soft spot for it due to how cool my life was when it came out in 1997.

Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants was a comedown album after the excesses of their first three albums and the brothers were going through divorces at the time and band members changing ensured it wasn't particularly good I grant you but agains still had some moments of genius on.

Heathen Chemistry was sort of the climb back up the ladder album and a very underrated album overall which didn't get the credit it deserves. Just the opening riffs to he album in The Hindu Times still gives the goosebumps.

Don't Believe The Truth will always remind me of Istanb*l and its aftermath as it came out the day after I got home and had some monumental tunes on it such as The Importance Of Being Idle which was as un Oasis as you could possibly get. I would say that album was on a par with some of the stuff they did on their first two.

Dig Out Your Soul was steely and had an psychedelic edge to it and yet again a very underrated album.

I just think after 97 it became fashionable to slag off Oasis no matter what they did and all these new wave bands came out on the back of Oasis like Coldplay and Kasabian. The only thing I suppose I don't like Oasis for is inflicting Chris Martin upon us.

Ah, the myth that they only did two good albums.

I just think the more that myth is perpetuated the more people seem to believe it. The last two albums Don't Believe The Truth and Dig Out Your Soul have many moments on there which are as good as anything they have ever done.

The first two are rightly lauded as their best two.

Be here Now was a cocaine ravaged overblown album which still had moments of genius on it and I will always have a soft spot for it due to how cool my life was when it came out in 1997.

Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants was a comedown album after the excesses of their first three albums and the brothers were going through divorces at the time and band members changing ensured it wasn't particularly good I grant you but agains still had some moments of genius on.

Heathen Chemistry was sort of the climb back up the ladder album and a very underrated album overall which didn't get the credit it deserves. Just the opening riffs to he album in The Hindu Times still gives the goosebumps.

Don't Believe The Truth will always remind me of Istanb*l and its aftermath as it came out the day after I got home and had some monumental tunes on it such as The Importance Of Being Idle which was as un Oasis as you could possibly get. I would say that album was on a par with some of the stuff they did on their first two.

Dig Out Your Soul was steely and had an psychedelic edge to it and yet again a very underrated album.

I just think after 97 it became fashionable to slag off Oasis no matter what they did and all these new wave bands came out on the back of Oasis like Coldplay and Kasabian. The only thing I suppose I don't like Oasis for is inflicting Chris Martin upon us.

Sorry mate but that twat Chris Martin's emergence is more down to Thom Yorke. As much as it pains me to say so, the likes of Muse, coldplay and *shudder* Keane came about on the back of the success and influence of The Bends and OK Computer, the whole angst-driven rock thing was down to Radiohead more than Oasis. Oasis had their niche but it wasn't that. No wonder radiohead shifted their sound to something else, as they realised that there were other bands who could do that sound for them. Only nowhere near as well.

Sorry mate but that twat Chris Martin's emergence is more down to Thom Yorke. As much as it pains me to say so, the likes of Muse, coldplay and *shudder* Keane came about on the back of the success and influence of The Bends and OK Computer, the whole angst-driven rock thing was down to Radiohead more than Oasis. Oasis had their niche but it wasn't that. No wonder radiohead shifted their sound to something else, as they realised that there were other bands who could do that sound for them. Only nowhere near as well.

You can only speculate on that kind stuff, unless of course a band says they were influenced by another band. Kinda like Keane have said about Oasis.

I've not really commented on this thread because I think it's been inevitable for a while. I'm also quite looking forward to solo efforts.

Oasis were my favourite band though. I absolutely loved them when I was younger. I've seen them live five times and each time has been awesome. People who deride what they've done are just being smalltime and bitter, and a musical snob!

You can only speculate on that kind stuff, unless of course a band says they were influenced by another band. Kinda like Keane have said about Oasis.

I've not really commented on this thread because I think it's been inevitable for a while. I'm also quite looking forward to solo efforts.

Oasis were my favourite band though. I absolutely loved them when I was younger. I've seen them live five times and each time has been awesome. People who deride what they've done are just being smalltime and bitter, and a musical snob!

Well, Chris Martin has admitted that they were influenced by Radiohead more than anyone else.

John G & Adam - It's about personal taste chaps. There's no right or wrongs in music, just opinions an personal choice. My personal opinion of Oasis is that they were massively overrated. That doesn't mean I or anyone else who shares that opinion is right, any more than your opinion that they were some marvellously talented megaband.

I fucking love Oasis, they are by far my favourite band of all time.

I remember buying Whatever on CD single when I was about 14, before any of my mates had heard of them, and playing it over and over again. They are in no way overated, in 20 years time they will be looked back on as the biggest band of the 90's by a mile.

Bands like Radiohead and Coldplay are immense and a lot more innovative than Oasis, but for me, Oasis have that little bit of magic that makes a great band one of the best. And I like Be here now as well, always have.

Gutted they have split up, I went to Heaton park to watch them on the 5th of June and they were amazing.

I fucking love Oasis, they are by far my favourite band of all time.

I remember buying Whatever on CD single when I was about 14, before any of my mates had heard of them, and playing it over and over again. They are in no way overated, in 20 years time they will be looked back on as the biggest band of the 90's by a mile.

Bands like Radiohead and Coldplay are immense and a lot more innovative than Oasis, but for me, Oasis have that little bit of magic that makes a great band one of the best. And I like Be here now as well, always have.

Gutted they have split up, I went to Heaton park to watch them on the 5th of June and they were amazing.

Immense? Innovative? Coldplay? FUCKING COLDPLAY?! Every fucking song sounds the same and I want to chew on a bullet when I'm forced to listen to Coldplay, COLDPLAY?!

Immense? Innovative? Coldplay? FUCKING COLDPLAY?! Every fucking song sounds the same and I want to chew on a bullet when I'm forced to listen to Coldplay, COLDPLAY?!

Haha, I see you point and they are not one of my favourite bands, but some of their early stuff is very good. They don't stand still though, they do try new things. I think they suffer greatly from Chris Martin being a GIGANTIC cunt, same as U2 with Bono.

Edit; When I say they are Immense but not one of my favourite bands I mean that I like them, but Chris Martin kind of negates a lot of my positive feelings towards them.

Having heard a whole series of excellent cover versions of Coldplay songs, I've come to the conclusion that they are a bunch of very good songwriters and competent musicians with a whiny bitch-voiced vocalist. So my feelings towards them are mixed.

Lump in my throat reading that. I am taking this badly. How do people think Oasis will be remembered in 20-30 years time if you like them or not?

I'm one of those people who liked their first two albums and then just lost interest. I ended up being accused of snobbery last time I commented on them, despite the fact that my opinion of them isn't shaped at all by whether they're considered highbrow or not; after all, I loved the Ramones and I don't think many people would consider them to be especially pretentious.

To be honest, other than Definitely Maybe which will always get a mention as a great debut album, I don't think they'll be remembered at all in thirty years time other than by people that are fans now, not in any significant way at least. I don't think there will be a whole new generation of fans that discover their music and I certainly don't think they'll be seen as any kind of seminal act, or as having an enduring influence on popular music. I realise there's no way you'll agree with that because you're clearly a huge fan but I thought the question deserved an honest answer.

As Monty said earlier in the thread, I can relate to how you feel though - it's a shitty feeling when you realise that a band that provided the soundtrack to important parts of your life won't be around any more.

I'm one of those people who liked their first two albums and then just lost interest. I ended up being accused of snobbery last time I commented on them, despite the fact that my opinion of them isn't shaped at all by whether they're considered highbrow or not; after all, I loved the Ramones and I don't think many people would consider them to be especially pretentious.

To be honest, other than Definitely Maybe which will always get a mention as a great debut album, I don't think they'll be remembered at all in thirty years time other than by people that are fans now. I certainly don't think they'll be seen as any kind of seminal act, or as having an enduring influence on popular music. I realise there's no way you'll agree with that because you're clearly a huge fan but I thought the question deserved an honest answer.

As Monty said earlier in the thread, I can relate to how you feel though - it's a shitty feeling when you realise that a band that provided the soundtrack to important parts of your life won't be around any more.

Snob.

To be honest, other than Definitely Maybe which will always get a mention as a great debut album, I don't think they'll be remembered at all in thirty years time other than by people that are fans now, not in any significant way at least. I don't think there will be a whole new generation of fans that discover their music and I certainly don't think they'll be seen as any kind of seminal act, or as having an enduring influence on popular music. I realise there's no way you'll agree with that because you're clearly a huge fan but I thought the question deserved an honest answer.

Some fair points made there and very well put. I would have to disagree to an extent about a whole new generation of fans discovering their music though. One of the things which has stood out about the last couple of times I have been to Oasis gigs is the amount of 16-17-18 year olds there who would have bbeen what 3 or 4 years old when Oasis were really in their heyday in the mid 90's. There is a whole new generation right there.

Go back to (What's the Story)Morning Glory which everybody raves about. It is a good album but nowhere near their best. Noel has even admitted as much as well. He said it is the best seller but not the best. Roll With It and Some Might Say aren't great songs by any stretch of the imagination but they got released as singles. Like I say I don't think they are anywhere near Oasis best. Their latter albums (especially the last two) have far better songs on than those two I have mentioned there.

Don't Believe The Truth in particular has moments where it pisses all over Morning Glory.

I just think it is a bit of a sweeping generelisation to say they haven't done anything worthwhile since 95 when I can think of twenty odd songs off the top of my head straight away which is better than anything that was on Morning GLory.