You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noel Gallagher quits Oasis

Mendoza

Throw in Never Mind The Bollocks as well, and weirdly, you've got the template for Definitely Maybe (minus the obvious Beatles references). Definitely Maybe is a fine debut, but in now way better than these four.

What about sex bekeorna?

Some fair points made there and very well put. I would have to disagree to an extent about a whole new generation of fans discovering their music though. One of the things which has stood out about the last couple of times I have been to Oasis gigs is the amount of 16-17-18 year olds there who would have bbeen what 3 or 4 years old when Oasis were really in their heyday in the mid 90's. There is a whole new generation right there.

Go back to (What's the Story)Morning Glory which everybody raves about. It is a good album but nowhere near their best. Noel has even admitted as much as well. He said it is the best seller but not the best. Roll With It and Some Might Say aren't great songs by any stretch of the imagination but they got released as singles. Like I say I don't think they are anywhere near Oasis best. Their latter albums (especially the last two) have far better songs on than those two I have mentioned there.

Don't Believe The Truth in particular has moments where it pisses all over Morning Glory.

I just think it is a bit of a sweeping generelisation to say they haven't done anything worthwhile since 95 when I can think of twenty odd songs off the top of my head straight away which is better than anything that was on Morning GLory.

Regarding the part I highlighted, I should have been a bit clearer with my comments. I agree that there has been a new generation of music fans that have got into their music since they started out; their career spans the best part of twenty years and there are lads I work with that went to see them at Heaton Park this year who would have just been starting infant school back when I was scrabbling around Manchester trying to pull in favours to get tickets for their Maine Road gig in '96.

Having said that, most of them had their interest piqued by the band's more recent releases and then began to investigate their back catalog, something I'm sure we've all done with at least one band. Without the impetus given by any more new releases, I'm not sure that there will be a sufficient hook there for many new fans to become aware of the band to begin with. Maybe that's not true now and maybe it won't be for the next five years or so but I think after that, the amount of radio airplay they get will diminish and they will slowly slip into relative obscurity.

Of course, a lot of that depends on what Noel gets up to with his solo career, or even his new band if he ends up with one. God only knows what Liam and the rest of them will do, whether they'll keep at it or not. I guess Liam might surprise everybody; after all there is a precedent for a mancunian band with a less than stellar lead singer splitting up and said singer being the only one to forge a successful solo career, although I suppose Mani is hardly slumming it as a member of Primal Scream. Time will tell.

Best debut album ever?

That wasn't made my a Gallagher, it was made by Brown, Squire, Mani and Reni.

Oasis splitting could be great. Noel on his own is something i've wanted to see for years instead of the stream of decent/average albums Oasis have been releasing over the last decade.

Anyone who doesn't like Oasis is a manc

There was me thinking we were having an intelligent discussion. I'm not sure what's funnier, the neg itself or the fact that it was for my post calling Liam a loudmouthed cunt and expressing my sympathy for Noel, a point that even the most vociferous Oasis fans don't appear to have argued with so far.

You got one thing right though, I am from Greater Manchester. I'm assuming that's what you meant by a manc anyway, although I'm not sure how that works since the objects of your desire are from Burnage. If it was a reference to the forbidden sport though, you can secure that shit Hudson, or at least call me something less unpleasant. A shit-eating, dog-wanking, uncle-fucking ponce, for example.

There was me thinking we were having an intelligent discussion. I'm not sure what's funnier, the neg itself or the fact that it was for my post calling Liam a loudmouthed cunt and expressing my sympathy for Noel, a point that even the most vociferous Oasis fans don't appear to have argued with so far.

You got one thing right though, I am from Greater Manchester. I'm assuming that's what you meant by a manc anyway, although I'm not sure how that works since the objects of your desire are from Burnage. If it was a reference to the forbidden sport though, you can secure that shit Hudson, or at least call me something less unpleasant. A shit-eating, dog-wanking, uncle-fucking ponce, for example.

I'm only having a laugh fella, nothing more.

Probably in a minority here, but I don't rate Morning Glory as an album. I remember buying it when it came out and feeling profoundly disappointed. Especially disappointing after the excitement I felt after hearing Definitely Maybe for the first time. Every other Oasis record has got more going for it than that one, possibly because Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger were so relentlessly overplayed at the time. Champagne Supernova and Morning Glory are excellent tracks still but the rest i just cannot listen to. I did a best of Oasis compilation the other month for the car and there weren't that many singles on it, and the only 2 tracks from Morning Glory were the two i mentioned before.

Probably in a minority here, but I don't rate Morning Glory as an album. I remember buying it when it came out and feeling profoundly disappointed. Especially disappointing after the excitement I felt after hearing Definitely Maybe for the first time. Every other Oasis record has got more going for it than that one, possibly because Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger were so relentlessly overplayed at the time. Champagne Supernova and Morning Glory are excellent tracks still but the rest i just cannot listen to. I did a best of Oasis compilation the other month for the car and there weren't that many singles on it, and the only 2 tracks from Morning Glory were the two i mentioned before.

It's grown on me with time, I love the sound of 'Hello' and the title track. I think it's almost shorthand for the most prolific period of their career. If you took 'Roll With It', 'Hey Now' off and put 'Acquiesce' and 'The Masterplan' on then you'd have a stunning album.

I'm personally pretty relieved about this. The longer they carried on, the more the 'Stevie Wonder effect' kicked in - by which I mean the fact because Marvin Gaye got shot before he could make anything like 'I Just Called to Say I Love You', he gets a far easier critical ride. They may have made some sub par albums since, but between 1994 and 1996 they were my favourite rock 'n' roll band of all time. I'm not saying they were necessarily the best, but they were my favourite.

Behave...

guns_n_roses_-_appetite_for_destruction.jpg

great call ,now thats a great debut album ....Its Hard to see past Led Zepplin or Piper at the Gates of Dawn for me as the best ever debut album.

Best modern debut album for me is Arcade Fires Funeral

Gotta love the threads this topics thrown up ...pick has to be the quote about that mong Cahill

"I don't know, there is something about him. I would love to kick him right in the bollocks. He has just got one of those faces. Don't you find his face really slapable? I can assure you, lots of people in England do."

Bloody hell, didn't realise these hairy mancs were loved so much. My reppage is suffering a full on arse tearing for stating they only had two decent albums.

All that kept them in the limelight for about 10 years was these so called break ups ,Liam's a cunt ,Noel's a cunt arguments between themselves. Only to return again for some tour or festival.

Don't burn your Parka's yet girls they more than likely will return to collect a bit more green when someone sticks a couple of million under there nose for some gig next year.

I'm only having a laugh fella, nothing more.

S'alright mate, I was just jerking your chain.

Peace and love, peace and love.

Anyway a quick detour off topic since the subject of debut albums has reared it's head. I wouldn't necessarily say any of these are the best ever (and it's obviously subjective anyway) but these all spring to mind as very good efforts.

stoneroses_album_300x300.jpgpearljam-ten.jpg

Portishead_dummy.jpgarcade_fire-funeral.jpeg

Nirvana-Bleach.jpg

Edited by RoboRiise

S'alright mate, I was just jerking your chain.

Peace and love, peace and love.

Anyway a quick detour off topic since the subject of debut albums has reared it's head. I wouldn't necessarily say any of these are the best ever (and it's obviously subjective anyway) but these all spring to mind as very good efforts.

stoneroses_album_300x300.jpgpearljam-ten.jpg

Portishead_dummy.jpgarcade_fire-funeral.jpeg

Nirvana-Bleach.jpg

Some excellent shouts there RR, I'd also nominate the following:

Roxy_Music-Roxy_Music.jpg200px-Ramones_album_cover.jpg200px-Unknownpleasures.jpg

PattiSmithHorses.jpg200px-RageAgainsttheMachineRageAgainsttheMachine.jpg