You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SOS/ShareLiverpool join forces

SpeedyG

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC SPORT | Football | Fans revise Liverpool buy-out bid

Fans revise Liverpool buy-out bid

Supporters groups Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC have unveiled a new, joint proposal to buy Liverpool.

The supporters' organisations are unhappy with the financial structure of the club following the takeover by Americans George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

The key change to the original "member-share" proposal is a reduction of the share price from £5,000 to £500.

Gillett and Hicks were expected to complete a refinancing of the club's £350m debt on Thursday.

A statement from the SLFC board said: "This is a realistic plan that squares the circle: How to get broadly based fan ownership of the club, and relieve the level of debt, by offering Liverpool fans an affordable entry fee and a chance to get a modest return for their additional financial support.

"Now we need all those Liverpool fans to carefully consider the proposals in detail on our website - and let us know what they think."

The supporters' groups first proposed a takeover - the model of which is based upon that operated by Barcelona, Real Madrid and other European clubs - in January 2008.

Initially they hoped to raise £500m from 100,000 fans each paying the £5000 'entry fee', but this has now been reduced.

The aim is to acquire a 60% stake in the club by raising £150m while seeking a "commercial partner" to invest £100m for a 40% stake.

In June 2009, it was announced the parent company of the club, owned by Tom Hicks and George Gillett, lost £42.6m in the year to August 2008, largely as a result of interest payments that had to be made to service the debt taken on by Kop Football Holdings when it purchased the club in February 2007.

On Tuesday, the BBC learnt that the club were close to renegotiating its debt with the Royal Bank of Scotland - one of the two banks to which it owes money.

Make of that what you will...

I am a member of SOS, and I wasn't asked my opinion on buying the club. Why not?

Ditto. Speaking of which I need to e-mail Fran back regarding new membership. Sorry Fran if you read this I wasn't ignoring your pm you sent. My membership is up this or next week so I will renew if only for away travel and see what follows regarding pririties for 09-10 with the union.

This might sound like heresy or naivety to some, but it might be an idea for supporters groups to approach the two owners directly and ask on what terms they would be willing to sell a portion of the club to supporters.

The contract they have given the Manager, the appointment of a Financial Director, Commercial Director, Managing Director and the search for a CEO, suggests that they have moved away from the Mom and Pop and Sons style of management they appeared to be set on before SOS got on their case. This kind of re-organisation is also typical of companies preparing for a takeover or for the sale of equity.

Apparently they have also done some preliminary work on a public offering. If they do intend to raise finance through a public offering the timing might not be right for the current new-issues market. However, supporters are not typical of the general market. They might buy new issues when others wouldn't.

So a public offering to supporters might fit well with the idea of supporters buying a significant voting stake in the club.

As far as I can understand it, they want to raise 10 million quid from fans as members with this £500 thing, then another £140 million from fans to get shares in Share Liverpool - which should increase in value if the club gets profitable. Plus another £100 million from a "commercial partner". Total of £250 million which they want to use to pay off some of the club's debt, whilst leaving the club still in debt to the banks to the tune of £100 million.

How are they getting rid of Hicks and Gillett here? Are they just going to walk away with zero profit, but zero debt or what?

While the plan is for Rogan Taylor to sit on the board, not a fucking chance. What makes me laugh is Taylor referred to the initial SOS meeting as a group of fans meeting in a pub corner. Changed his fucking tune now, hasn't he, the slimy cunt.

I still think this is a very long shot, but £500 is more realistic than £5000. I only think it'll become viable if they let fans bid for multiple shares. However that then moves away from the ideal of the Barca-style, member-owned, one share one vote model.

As for Rogan Taylor, I know he's a tit (on at least two counts), but better him than the incumbents. And besides, just because he is currently an organiser does not mean that he'd be voted in as chairman in the unlikely event that we were successful.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I still think this is a very long shot, but £500 is more realistic than £5000. I only think it'll become viable if they let fans bid for multiple shares. However that then moves away from the ideal of the Barca-style, member-owned, one share one vote model.

As for Rogan Taylor, I know he's a tit (on at least two counts), but better him than the incumbents. And besides, just because he is currently an organiser does not mean that he'd be voted in as chairman in the unlikely event that we were successful.

Come on, a man with an ego that big wouldn't be involved unless he was a fucking shoe-in.

I'd rather we stayed as we are rather than have that megalomaniac anywhere fucking near Liverpool Football Club.

Not that it has a cat in hell's chance though, it's got more if's, but's and maybe's than an episode of Columbo

Come on, a man with an ego that big wouldn't be involved unless he was a fucking shoe-in.

I'd rather we stayed as we are rather than have that megalomaniac anywhere fucking near Liverpool Football Club.

Rogan Taylor worse than Hicks? Come off it Andy. I'm not defending Taylor here, as I think he's a bell end. However, it is a fact that Hicks wants to make money from us while Taylor wants what we all want - a stable, successful Liverpool. It's no contest.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Rogan Taylor worse than Hicks? Come off it Andy. I'm not defending Taylor here, as I think he's a bell end. However, it is a fact that Hicks wants to make money from us while Taylor wants what we all want - a stable, successful Liverpool. It's no contest.

As bad as the situation is Paul, and i'm not defending or endorsing Hicks or Gillett here, but Taylor getting anywhere near the club would be a fucking disaster.

I know how he operates as I've seen it first hand, I also know a few tricks he tried to pull last time around which would make Ashley Cole blush.

I've got no doubt he'll drop SOS like a hot potato as soon as he gets what he needs from them, publicity and credibility with the grass roots support.

Regardless anyway, it'll never get off the ground, so it makes no odds

Also something to consider, if, as is being speculated, thier is a partial public offering from H&G in Liverpool, and shareliverpool get in, you are looking at the possibility of having Hicks, Gillett and Taylor