You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bloody hell

Eye for an eye: Iranian man sentenced to be blinded for acid attack | World news | The Guardian

Eye for an eye: Iranian man sentenced to be blinded for acid attack• Female victim was left sightless and disfigured

The Guardian, Friday November 28 2008 A man who blinded a woman in an acid attack after she spurned his marriage proposals has been sentenced to the same punishment, in a literal application of Iran's sharia eye-for-an-eye laws.

In a highly unusual judgment, Tehran province criminal court ordered Majid Movahedi, 27, to be blinded in both eyes from drops of acid in response to a plea from his victim, Ameneh Bahrami.

The punishment is legal under the sharia code of qisas, which allows retribution for violent crimes. The court also ordered Movahedi to pay compensation to the victim.

Bahrami was left horrifically disfigured after Movahedi threw a jar of acid in her face as she walked home from work in a busy Tehran neighbourhood in October 2004. She had previously complained to police about being threatened and harassed by Movahedi, who she had known while they were both university students, but had been told no action could be taken.

Since the attack, Bahrami has undergone 17 operations, some by surgeons in Spain, in an unsuccessful attempt to reconstruct her face. Her injuries led to the loss of one eye and left her blind in the other. The Iranian government has paid £22,500 towards her treatment.

Testifying in Movahedi's presence, she told the court that she wanted "to inflict the same life on him that he inflicted on me". Asked by the judge if she wanted Movahedi's face to be splashed with acid, she replied: "That is impossible and horrific. Just drip 20 drops of acid in his eyes so he can realise what pain I am undergoing."

Bahrami, an electronics graduate who worked for a medical engineering company before the attack, said Movahedi's family had asked her to marry him several times, but she had refused. Movahedi later threatened to kill her, she said, after saying that he had built his dreams around her.

Moments before the attack, she sensed she was being followed and tried to get away. But Movahedi caught up with her and stepped in front of her, before throwing acid in her face, leaving her screaming in pain.

Movahedi said he decided to attack Bahrami after she told him she had married someone else, and pleaded with him to leave her alone.

"I decided to splash acid on her face so her husband would leave her and I could have her," he told the court. He said he had earlier contemplated suicide.

Asked if he would still be prepared to marry Bahrami despite her injuries, Movahedi replied: "Yes. I love her."

Tehran's deputy public prosecutor, Mahmoud Salarkia, said the publicity surrounding the case would deter future acid attacks. "If this sentence is properly publicised in the media, it will stop the repetition of such incidents," he told the news website Tabnak. "Awareness of the punishment has a huge deterrent effect in stopping social crimes."

Of course, this punishment is totally barbaric and abhorrent, and completely unjustifiable on any level, which is what I'm sure you all would expect me to say.

But actually this is a big step forward for the Iranians: normally they punish the women for being victims of violence.

Of course, this punishment is totally barbaric and abhorrent, and completely unjustifiable on any level, which is what I'm sure you all would expect me to say.

But actually this is a big step forward for the Iranians: normally they punish the women for being victims of violence.

Why do you think it's wrong?

Personally, unless he could be proven to be insane in some way then an eye for an eye suits me just fine. Do unto others and all that.

The woman clearly got off lightly here as she was probably giving him the hot cold treatment so he simply just did not know where he stood. Poor fellow. I can't see that he any other option than to blind her with acid. Had she just stopped being a tease and married the guy, she'd be enjoying full unimpaired use of all her senses right now. Stupid bitch.

in this "civilised" world we live in we're supposed to condemn shit like that as being draconian and barbaric but honestly, fuck that. That's justice if you ask me; I just wish i could catch the stream on justin.tv

If I was blind I wouldn't have to read the constant shit that comes out of Nick Leeson's mouth, it would be almost worth it, almost.

i bet he doesnt do it again

Well he'll obviously struggle to do it again. I mean, he could probably manage to spray some acid around in the general vicinity of a woman and possibly even get some of it on her, but I doubt he'll be capable of the precision aiming required to squirt it right in her face.

Of course, I'm assuming here that he manages to corectly identify the bottle with the acid in to begin with - I doubt that spraying some Lucozade Isotonic in someone's face would have quite the same impact.

Well he'll obviously struggle to do it again. I mean, he could probably manage to spray some acid around in the general vicinity of a woman and possibly even get some of it on her, but I doubt he'll be capable of the precision aiming required to squirt it right in her face.

Of course, I'm assuming here that he manages to corectly identify the bottle with the acid in to begin with - I doubt that spraying some Lucozade Isotonic in someone's face would have quite the same impact.

Have you tried the stuff?