You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Clocks / watches

kop

Fink I bought a Arktura Kinetic, and when I spoke to a watchmaker he told me the average life span is only about five years. Also said it was the only watch he wouldn't try and fix - a real pain in the arse apparently. I'm still very happy with mine, though we'll see what transpires. As an aside I got mine a lot cheaper from an import company - hence why I was in the watchmakers in the first instance (to check my watch was legit before I paid them). If you're still interested let me know and I'll PM you their details.

Cheers Chimpy. That's a bit rubbish isnt it especially for the price. PM me the details, there aint no harm in looking although Ive now changed my mind again and stuck a battery in on of my old watches. My mind will change again by lunchtime. :)

1)The coo-coo clock was invented in Germany not Switzerland.

2) According to the book Longitude, in the 18C Britain developed the finest watch making skills in the world which laid the foundation for the Industrial Revolution.

Quite why these skills vanished and reappeared in Switzerland was not explained.

3) As can be clearly seen from the above, Switzerland is home to the Time Lords.

I don't wear a watch. I use my mobile. This is because I have thin wrists and I look like a kid trying on his Dads watch. In the event of my wrists becoming fat in later age I will buy a watch. I used to own a digital casio watch with a calculator and the ability to play "yellow rose of texas". It once went off in double maths and I had it confiscated. The teacher kept it for a week. He probably wore it on a night out to impress birds as it was so fucking awesome. He was the same teacher that gave me detention for hiding in a cupboard. Whats that about eh? There was a girl who let me finger her in double maths. She is now a headmistress. i bet she doesn't condone that sort of behaviour now.

You can use any of that kop.

I don't wear a watch. I use my mobile. This is because I have thin wrists and I look like a kid trying on his Dads watch. In the event of my wrists becoming fat in later age I will buy a watch. I used to own a digital casio watch with a calculator and the ability to play "yellow rose of texas". It once went off in double maths and I had it confiscated. The teacher kept it for a week. He probably wore it on a night out to impress birds as it was so fucking awesome. He was the same teacher that gave me detention for hiding in a cupboard. Whats that about eh? There was a girl who let me finger her in double maths. She is now a headmistress. i bet she doesn't condone that sort of behaviour now.

You can use any of that kop.

I always wanted one of those Casios that doubled as a tv remote control so I could turn over the channel on the odd occasion we watched a video in lessons.

5110Y09KD9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Instead I had to make do with a casio that could measure the Temperature.

Edit: this was the exact one I had...

41610829131_TS1000.jpg?ts=48F8755C&key=60F01FD72C111BC4641F9A582D8A4458&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fpocketcalculatorshow.com%2Feve%2Fforums%2Fa%2Fga%2Ful%2F51610829131%2Finlineimg%2FY%2FTS1000.jpg

Guest davelfc

I bought a very cheap watch (£1.20) from a stall in Hong Kong two years ago, because I had no watch and needed to make sure I didn't miss my flight later that evening.

It still works perfectly and keeps excellent time, even though it has spent the last two years in the drawer.

Clocks is "klokker" in Norwegian, and "klokker" again has a double meaning as it's also the name we use on a ringmaster. Sadly we can't use the same puns for ringmaster in Norwegian, but if you have some stories about ringmasters AND clocks/watches I would kill the audience I think.

On the Antiques Roadshow last night there was a bloke with the original contraption that was the first telephone 'speaking clock.' At the first stroke it will be ten fifty two and twenty seconds precisely etc etc. A while back it stopped working and despite his best efforts he couldn't get it going again. A day or two later he found out that the lady whose voice had been used for his speaking clock had died on the day the machine had stopped.

Only 5 million viewers of the AR know that....

On the Antiques Roadshow last night there was a bloke with the original contraption that was the first telephone 'speaking clock.' At the first stroke it will be ten fifty two and twenty seconds precisely etc etc. A while back it stopped working and despite his best efforts he couldn't get it going again. A day or two later he found out that the lady whose voice had been used for his speaking clock had died on the day the machine had stopped.

Only 5 million viewers of the AR know that....

Some people will make up some right shite to get an extra 50p for their cacky old tat.