You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest LFD

Looking at what looks to be our best front four players next season it’s got everything we need really:

Gerrard----------------Keane---------------------Babel

-------------------------Torres----------------------------

This combination has pace, power, goals, good movement, creativity and looks threatening all over and should be the whole package. Last season we looked threatening down the centre with Gerrard behind Torres, however down the flanks we needed more umph. But with Keane able to play this role behind Torres, Gerrard can give us more threat out wide than Kuyt was providing and I fully expect Babel to kick on this season.

Just wondering how highly everyone rates our attack.

Who do you think has a better attack than ours in the league or Europe?

Man U have Ronaldo and Rooney who are two top players, Ronaldo the best player in the World last season. However I think Gerrard and Torres are just as formidable as a combination. With Keane consistently getting over 20 goals in all competitions he’s comparable to Tevez and personally I rate Babel higher than Nani or Park. Therefore it does make you wonder who does have a better attack, if anyone?

On paper we’ve got the firepower to challenge for the league, three consistent match winners and scorers in Gerrard, Keane and Torres. Plus Babel who is capable of joining them. I wouldn’t swap this quartet for any other quartet around, but is that the red goggles talking or is this attack the ‘real deal’?

Man Utd have Tevez too, and if they sign Berbatov then they would have a quartet that is probably at least as good as our four. For me, Babel needs to kick on to give us four reliable match winners. At the moment we have three, though that is 50% more than last season.

We have a great front four there though, and we should have reason to be optimistic.

Man Utd have Tevez too, and if they sign Berbatov then they would have a quartet that is probably at least as good as our four. For me, Babel needs to kick on to give us four reliable match winners. At the moment we have three, though that is 50% more than last season.

We have a great front four there though, and we should have reason to be optimistic.

I did mention Tevez.

Yes I agree about Berbatov, if they get him there four will be better than ours, given Babel is still relatively hit and miss.

Personally I think Babel is our key man this season. If he can deliver and show more conistancy and what we know he's capable of, then we'll have a great chance this season. The other three will deliver, they have season after season in this league.

The reason I made this thread is because we've seen about 20 Barry / Alonso topics this summer and I think whichever ends up playing next season, it won't be a problem as they are both good players. They have different strengths, but they'll perform similar roles and both well.

I think looking at our attack it depends how well they deliver for how well we're going to do. The defense is going to be strong we know this, especially with Skrtel ehre all season and Agger back. Competition is high and that will raise standards. Dossena looks god and even if he doesn't deliver Aurelio is a fine left back. On the right if Degan doesn't deliver we've got other good options in Arbeloa and Carragher.

Our attack can make us challenge and turn these draws into win last season. OK some games we drew after taking the lead, which were defensive errors, but these should improve with Agger back, Skrtel here and Pellegrino ensuring the zonal marking is drilled into them effectively.

But Keane can help Gerrard and Torres win more games. If the opposition concentrate on Gerrard and Torres it might leave more space for Keane or Babel to punish and this can only be good that we have four exciting threats.

Let's appreciate what we have one of the most exciting attacks around.

--------------------Torres--------------------

--------------------Keane--------------------

Barry--------Alonso -------Javi --------Gerrard

That will do for me

A bit narrow Bob? That's four centre-mids.

We need width, width, and again I say unto you...width.

A bit narrow Bob? That's four centre-mids.

We need width, width, and again I say unto you...width.

Just move Gerrard and Barry one step further up. :thumbup:

It would be a pretty solid set up, a bit like the 05/06 set up but with added quality in Torres up front and Mascherano for Sissoko/Hamann.

Barry and Kewell on the left would both be solid unadventurous wide players on the left both with the ability to put a cross in and keep hold of the ball at a decent level but both also to slow to beat a man.

Keane vs Morientes would be almost equal, with Morientes having better passing quality and more clever runs to create space for others but Keane probably will score more goals.

I would be happ with that, but I would still feel we should do better on the left.

I think we lack composure. Our team is now full of fast players and others who aren't that good on the ball. We lack composure and patience and for me that's key to winning the Premiership.

I think I understand your point, but I woudln't say we lacked composure or patience.

If anything I think we drew some games last season because of a lack of urgency in some games. Think you have to go out with the intent to win every game right for the beginning, as draws aren't enough and soemtimes we left it too late before we hit the high tempo or extra gear.

Our side keep the ball well and show patience. What I'd like to see is our team play at high tempo and with the intent to win games right from the first whistle like United and Arsenal do. We've got the players to fear no one. We've got the firepower, now we just need to blow our teams away, outside the top four. We know we can win games, we've shown it in Europe. What we need is to put our side in contention for the big games towards the end of the season, as we haven't been in that position under Benitez.

you give Gerrard and Barry the right to get forward and you have Javi and Alonso protecting the back 4

full backs pushing forward when we have the ball

that side gives you all you need

it would do for me they could play through a monsoon nevermind a pact defence

Just move Gerrard and Barry one step further up. :thumbup:

It would be a pretty solid set up, a bit like the 05/06 set up but with added quality in Torres up front and Mascherano for Sissoko/Hamann.

Barry and Kewell on the left would both be solid unadventurous wide players on the left both with the ability to put a cross in and keep hold of the ball at a decent level but both also to slow to beat a man.

Keane vs Morientes would be almost equal, with Morientes having better passing quality and more clever runs to create space for others but Keane probably will score more goals.

I would be happ with that, but I would still feel we should do better on the left.

yes we could do better on the left we could have silva and if thats the case then Alonso goes and Barry sits