You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David Ngog

StevieH

I doubt he will ever be on Anelka's level but he almost certainly can be better than he's shown so far. Confidence is his biggest lack in my opinion. If he had the confidence we could see whether he could bring his positive attributes together to make them into something.

I don't get this confidence angle. He come's on late in a must win game, takes first time shots, does those flip flap things all over the place, whenever he's through one on one, he invariably scores. He tries all kinds of weird stuff.

Why do you think he lacks confidence?

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt he will ever be on Anelka's level but he almost certainly can be better than he's shown so far. Confidence is his biggest lack in my opinion. If he had the confidence we could see whether he could bring his positive attributes together to make them into something.

Yeah, I meant his skill set and physical attributes are pretty similar to Anelka's and that would be his ceiling as a player. I haven't seen enough of him to know whether he can be that good though. Obviously Anelka in his first season in England and at a very similar age and circumstance - signed on the cheap from PSG - started slowly but then had a great run at the end of the season pretty much sowed up the league for the Arse then got transferred to Madrid. N'Gog hasn't done that. Yet. Maybe if he scores the winner in the next 4 games and we sneak the title we can sell him to Real for 20 mill.

Well, he's surely improved over the last few months and he's alright in the air. Would probably give him another season because I don't think his wages are that high and he could probably bring in some profit anyway if we sold him back to France or some other league.

I have to admit I was suspicious about the fact that you were actually posting an opinion on a football matter.

Maybe it'd be worthwhile for me though. There's a queue of people telling us all N'Gog ain't gonna make it, yet none are willing to share the benefit of their omniscience. Selfish.

I wouldn't wish to speak for anyone else, but I'd suggest its a reluctance to engage with the poster, not the subject.

Yeah, I meant his skill set and physical attributes are pretty similar to Anelka's and that would be his ceiling as a player. I haven't seen enough of him to know whether he can be that good though. Obviously Anelka in his first season in England and at a very similar age and circumstance - signed on the cheap from PSG - started slowly but then had a great run at the end of the season pretty much sowed up the league for the Arse then got transferred to Madrid. N'Gog hasn't done that. Yet. Maybe if he scores the winner in the next 4 games and we sneak the title we can sell him to Real for 20 mill.

Anelka was 17 in his first season in England where he played a pivotal role in them winning the league, if I recall correctly.

Not saying that it is impossible for Ngog reach Anelkas current level in time, just pointing out that Anelka was a bit of a freak when he burst onto the scene.

Anelka was a lot better when he first came but he could've been amazing if he didn't fuck his career up.

N'Gog looks like he's improving each time he plays and i think he'll turn out to be a decent player.

Whether he'll be good enough to stay with us for years, i don't know.

Anyone a link to ressies highlights the other night btw?

He looks like a rabbit in the headlights to me. He's got skill, but he looks scared to use it properly. His positioning and decision making are also poor. Just doesn't look comfortable at all.

Maybe that's because he has been taking lessons from Babel, according to Babel.

• 6 months later...

I said in another thread that I rate him especially the way he has worked hard and got himself into this position. He defo has something about him. Great close control.

If we can keep giving him minutes on the pitch I think next season we could have a real star on our hands.

No doubt the next time he has a bad game he'll be slaughtered.

I like him.

He's good in the air, works hard, has the odd trick in his locker, has good movement and the important thing is he's improving all the time.

Waddle seemed to like him.

Horrible dive though. :D

I like him.

He's good in the air, works hard, has the odd trick in his locker, has good movement and the important thing is he's improving all the time.

Waddle seemed to like him.

Horrible dive though. :D

Thought he was outstanding last night.....compared to previous.Seems to be maturing well......And anyhow if he don't make it at the top level, he could always try his hand in movies.( 'Platoon' springs to mind)

Just as the criticism of him before was ridiculously out of order, people are probably getting slightly carried away with him now. He isn't anywhere near good enough as direct back-up for Torres yet.

He'll still have bad games and bad misses, and should be supported when he does.

Still very raw, but certainly seems to have the skills.

Knows where the back of the net is too. He should share that knowledge with the rest of his colleagues.

• 1 year later...

Years playing second fiddle to Torres have made me a better player - Ngog

New Bolton striker David Ngog hopes the years spent as understudy to Fernando Torres at Liverpool will help him as he seeks to establish himself as a Barclays Premier League goalscorer.

The 22-year-old Frenchman, who made a £4million move on transfer deadline day, scored 19 goals in 94 appearances in three years with the Reds.

Unfortunately for the former Paris St Germain forward, his spell at Anfield coincided with that of Fernando Torres and as a result his chances were limited.

He did score some memorable goals - against Saturday's opponents Manchester United back in 2009 and Arsenal on the opening weekend of last season - but he was never likely to threaten the Spain international when he was fully fit.

But Ngog tried to take the positives from training with - and watching - Torres and hopes it will make him a better player for Bolton.

"When you are at a club like Liverpool you have to accept it (being behind Torres)," he said. "That made me stronger as well because you want to be close to the best and Fernando is one of the best.

"He is one of the best strikers in the world and when he was at Liverpool he was consistent in scoring a lot of goals.

"You learn about a lot from a player like this. It was a good experience and I will try to produce here and show what I am capable of."

Ngog admitted he had reached the stage of his career when he needed more than just the odd substitute appearance if he was going to develop.

"I am at the age when I need to be on the pitch every week," he added.

"For a few months I didn't have that much time playing for Liverpool and I am at that age when I need to play.

"Liverpool and I agreed to let me leave and have a new challenge.

"I still need to work and prove myself but I had experience with Liverpool; I played some big games and played in the Champions League as well.

"I will try to use that experience to fit in this team."

Ngog said he turned down offers from a number of other clubs after being impressed by Bolton boss Owen Coyle.

"I had options as a Liverpool player but Bolton was my first choice and I'm looking forward to working with my new team-mates," he said.

"Bolton have really good quality and a good manager and the team has been improving the last three years.

"I spoke with the manager and he had a good project for me. He has experience - and with young players as well - and I still have to improve and I want to play and I hope to play every week.

"I want to be part of this and I hope I will do well here.

"It was a good experience for me at Liverpool. Now I have a new challenge and I am focused on that.

"I want to win games and do well and hopefully that will happen this season."

Bolton's David Ngog: Years playing second fiddle to Fernando Torres at Liverpool have made me a better player - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk