You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

I agree with that, but my main probelm is that, for whatever price, i cant see why a club like us, one of the so called "big 4", are even considering average dross like Milner and Downing. Seriously, i hate making this comparisson, but are the scum, Arse and Chelsea linked with these players? I agree we may not have their money, but id rather us not sign anyone than sign average, sub standard crap like this who will offer us no improvement on anything we already have. We really are not that far off being a real force, 1 maybe 2 world class players. The spine is there, we need a couple of match winners, not squad fillers. Milner is at his level, and he's hardly made a huge impact at Newcastle. This link baffles me.

Would we have signed Liam Miller or Darren Fletcher? Or Bentner? Or Aliadiare (probably actually when Ged was in charge)? Or Kalou?

I agree with that, but my main probelm is that, for whatever price, i cant see why a club like us, one of the so called "big 4", are even considering average dross like Milner and Downing. Seriously, i hate making this comparisson, but are the scum, Arse and Chelsea linked with these players? I agree we may not have their money, but id rather us not sign anyone than sign average, sub standard crap like this who will offer us no improvement on anything we already have. We really are not that far off being a real force, 1 maybe 2 world class players. The spine is there, we need a couple of match winners, not squad fillers. Milner is at his level, and he's hardly made a huge impact at Newcastle. This link baffles me.

Man United have been linked with Downing a few times in the past.

If i remember right, Dave said they are meant to be showing an interest in him this summer too but want him for next summer.

Chelsea were linked with Barry too. I know you didn't ask about him.

I don't want us to buy Milner but there's been some players over the years who i wouldn't have chosen to buy and they've turned out to be class signings.

Would we have signed Liam Miller or Darren Fletcher? Or Bentner? Or Aliadiare (probably actually when Ged was in charge)? Or Kalou?

Who knows? I remember reading somewhere that we wanted Fletcher at youth level, and Rafa has said in the past how Arsenal have outbid us for young payers. None of them have gone on to make any real impact. Miller was fucked off, Fletcher is a sub at best, Bendtner shows flashes but isnt consistent, Aliadier was fucked off and has found his level at Boro, and Kalou i think was a waste of money.

You cant even class Miner as an up and coming youngster any more. He's had a good 5years or so playing in the Premiership, he looked promising at Leeds but he's hardly ripping the place up at Newcastle. Not good enough for us whatsoever.

I just don't rate Milner at all. Everytime i've seen him play i just thought he was average and a mid-table club player. He shouldn't be playing for a top 4 club at all. Save the fucking money and use it elsewhere, we don't need Milner. He will offer us fuck all. Rafa could use the barry and milner money and buy villa instead. We want quality now, not more gash quantity.

I just don't rate Milner at all. Everytime i've seen him play i just thought he was average and a mid-table club player. He shouldn't be playing for a top 4 club at all. Save the fucking money and use it elsewhere, we don't need Milner. He will offer us fuck all. Rafa could use the barry and milner money and buy villa instead. We want quality now, not more gash quantity.

Correct.

Yet we're still told to just accept it and go along with it, without having an oipinion.

I cannot actually believe that i've logged on this morning and i'm now debating with someone who believes that we need to buy players for the bench to improve our chances of winning the league.

I just can't believe it.

Is this new to you? It's been going on for ages , people just keep changing their arguement to suit what decision it is Rafa has made this time. It's tedious in the extreme.

Your genuine shock made me laugh , have some rep. Rebel23, what exactly is it that fuels your need for a sporting director? Is it just because you're not aware everyone gets it wrong when signing players?

Is this new to you? It's been going on for ages , people just keep changing their arguement to suit what decision it is Rafa has made this time. It's tedious in the extreme.

Your genuine shock made me laugh , have some rep. Rebel23, what exactly is it that fuels your need for a sporting director? Is it just because you're not aware everyone gets it wrong when signing players?

Haha I suppose I should have known better really. It's definitely a case of some people changing their stance to suit a particular agenda.

This afternoon we've had people saying that Barry is being signed because he's better at getting forward than Alonso, yet when you mention about Gerrard possibly playing in the middle, then suddenly that role has nothing to do with getting forward.

I would rather we kept Danny Guthrie than bought James Milner. Milner would be a good squad player for us much like Darren Fletcher is at Man United, but we should be concentrating solely on purchasing players who can improve our 1st x1 if money is tight.

Haha I suppose I should have known better really. It's definitely a case of some people changing their stance to suit a particular agenda.

This afternoon we've had people saying that Barry is being signed because he's better at getting forward than Alonso, yet when you mention about Gerrard possibly playing in the middle, then suddenly that role has nothing to do with getting forward.

Absolutely fucking IS right.

Who's said that?

Forgive me if I'm wrong I haven't been following this debate that closely, but I can't remember anyone saying the role has nothing to do with getting forward rather that moving Gerrard back into the centre would limit his attacking threat as he would have more defensive responsibility.

I find it worrying people refuse to question Rafa over signing Milner, how many more years do they not want to win the title? All this blind faith in managers has fucked us up enough over the last 18 years. I also find it quite worrying that Rafa wants to buy Milner but no-one in the club is saying boo to him, such a should never be sanctioned.

I find it worrying people refuse to question Rafa over signing Milner, how many more years do they not want to win the title? All this blind faith in managers has fucked us up enough over the last 18 years. I also find it quite worrying that Rafa wants to buy Milner but no-one in the club is saying boo to him, such a should never be sanctioned.

Of course we are scratching our heads at Milner... but I trust that Rafa knows what he's doing. It's not 'worrying'. It's just a target, and the interest is legitimate, but we've not seen a bid or anything.

So calm down before you soil yourself.

Maybe they agree, not just back him. Maybe they can think for themselves?

Okay. A season after finishing 4th the manager has decided to sell a player who's abscence in the team is felt like no other. A player who's consistent selection in the team coincided both with drastic upturns in form and far more cohesion. The manager is replacing him with Gareth Barry. He lookds very much like taking a loss to do this and the player we're signing is in not a massive improvement. Do you agree with that course of action?

The manager is also very much interested in signing Milner.

Now Im not saying the manager should be sacked or is incompotent or anything like that. But he's a man , he makes errors. There's an unwillingness to even contemplate such a thing amongst sections of our fan base. What I've highlighted above is not the right thing to do. James Milner is not good enough for Liverpool football club and would not offer any use that Pennant , who's a better player , does not. We should not be selling one of the few players in our squad who demands the ball and has an awesome footballing brain.

I do entertain the notion that selling Alonso and bringing in Barry may help the balance and that could make us a better team. I don't agree but it's something I can fathom.

The point Im trying to make is that the manager is no way above reproach. While it's admirable and the right thing to do in supporting the manager , people refuse to take on the board the possibility the manager could be wrong. Views seem to be altered just to make sure they conform with what it is Rafa thinks or what he's trying to do. He's a great manager and has done wonderfully for this club but he's not infalliable.

I keep seeing arguments on here about people not trusting Rafa and others fighting his corner and the never ending arguments. Cards on the table time, who trusts him to win the league? I don't in all honesty but am happy for him to be given a chance to challenge.

It's close season, it's a good time to have these discussions. I sort of hope that he can "challenge" and think he might do so next season but I am not 100% sure he will given the limited success he has had in the league so far.

So cards on the table, do you think Rafa will win the league for Liverpool?