You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

If Torres's Liverpool future seems secure, however, the same cannot be said for John Arne Riise and Jermaine Pennant. While Riise has reluctantly accepted that his days at Anfield are numbered, with AS Roma hoping to complete the £4million transfer of the Norway defender in the coming days, Pennant is adamant that he “wishes to stay” at the club, despite speculation that the winger is surplus to requirements.

With Juventus still to lodge a firm offer for Xabi Alonso, even though one is expected imminently, the sale of Riise would help Liverpool to raise the funds to meet Aston Villa's £18million valuation of Gareth Barry, with the Merseyside club expected to make a fourth bid for the England midfield player this week.

Benítez is also hoping to bring James Milner, the Newcastle United winger, to Anfield, possibly as a replacement for Pennant, while the manager wants to raise more funds by offloading Peter Crouch, the England forward, to Portsmouth.

Rafa needs to be sent on holiday to clear his head so he can think clearly about how he wants to spend what little money he has

The Xabi/Barry deal has turned into a 3m loss from a 3m profit and I think he´s watching damien duff on video and not Milner

I personally think Rafa should have less power in the transfer market if he continues to target such players, ffs i could find you 40 players better than Milner who would cost the same amount of money.

Negged.

Not because I really took offense with that post, simply because I am dying to see if there is anything after Paul Merson.

I personally think Rafa should have less power in the transfer market if he continues to target such players, ffs i could find you 40 players better than Milner who would cost the same amount of money.

Oh Momo. You never cease to amaze me with such antics.

The funniest thing about all of this is Rafa is buying a fairly well rated english youngster whom is to replace Pennant whom could theorhetically improve quite a bit and Rafa sees something in him that makes him think that he will.

I remember when we signed Torres... half of this board was angry. That turned out well, why can't Milner improve on his play and come off the bench well for us?

The funniest thing about all of this is Rafa is buying a fairly well rated english youngster whom is to replace Pennant whom could theorhetically improve quite a bit and Rafa sees something in him that makes him think that he will.

I remember when we signed Torres... half of this board was angry. That turned out well, why can't Milner improve on his play and come off the bench well for us?

Unrighteous my good fellow, I sort of agree with your sentiments, but comparing Milner with Torres? Oh my todger...

Only people that were angry with torres were the ones that had obviously never seen enough of the guy. Anyone who watched him play regularly could see he was a star in the making. The mancs and other clubs had been trying to buy him for years for big money because everyone knew that once he moved to a bigger club he would improve even more. Milner is completely different. We've all seen Milner loads of times and the guy is very average. He doesn't even play regularly for newcastle and yet he's meant to be good enough for us? He's a limited footballer and we have little money as it is and we're going to throw so much away on a guy that won't even improve our squad let alone our first 11. He's not better than kuyt or pennant so what's the point in having him? Use the money elsewhere on someone of a higher level.

But like i said i'm refusing to believe Rafa is that stupid and that this is just a smokescreen for someone else.

Guest thePoet

I agree. Milner is nowhere near as shit as people are making out. He's a good little player who can beat a man, works hard, and a decent passer of the ball.

I don't know how much better he is than Pennant (I've got a soft spot for Pennant after this last season where he's had a superb attitude) and I don't see the point of selling him except that If Rafa is looking for a player to play Kuyts role, I can see Milner playing like Kuyt (linking up with the CM's and Strikers, cutting in, working very hard defensively) more than I can see Pennant playing that way.

comparing Milner with Torres? Oh my todger...

Yeah, it did kinda unravel at that point. Milner to soon be amongst Europe's best wingers... hmmmm:biggrin:

If we must go for fringe internationals I think I'd rather a punt on SWP or Aaron Lennon.

Why pay £9m for somebody who's not gona go straight in the team and "just come off the bench" when the money could and should be used elsewhere, this is like 2002 summer its the managers 5th season and when houllier went out and bought shite, that set us back years,the Barry and Milner potential signings are gona cost the club around £25m and if it does'nt work out then Rafa will be the 1 to blame,and he certainley cant use the other clubs have more money line if he's willing to spend that sort of money on 2 average and in milners case very average player! Hope i'm wrong as i want Rafa to succeed but we should be spending the money on top players even 1 top player that will give the club a lift as we have enough average journeymen(pennant voronin yossi) at our club.

Can't believe this thread is over 20 pages. If we sign Milner I'm going to go out and cause some fucking trouble.

Oh yes, trouble. Fucking murder. I'm gonna go mad. Really fucking mental like.

Just wait.

Milner is nowhere near as bad as some make out. Off course he is not a player that makes us dream about restoring glory days, but I do believe he suits our new formation better than Pennant. In an orthodox 4-4-2 I would prefer Pennant.

Just like it was when it was Crouch, the more people go on about how rubbish he is, the more a tiny part of me want us to sign him just to piss them off.