You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Finnan or Alves?

Strontium

Who would you prefer at right-back?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer at right-back?

Another example of overhyping our own. If we had a 23 year old Brazilian international right back who scored goals and had many assists - who CAN defend despite what people think. I think Finnan is briliant but he is also 30 years old and not going to get better, why would you keep Finnan as opposed to having Alves AT THIS MOMENT?

Finnan has proven time and time again how good he is, As far as im concerned he has been and still is the best right back in the Premer League, And just cos he's over 30 doesn't mean we should send him packing does it?

Once he keep up the good work he deserves his Red shirt!! Been one of our best most consistant players in last few years, and IMO when he does go he'll be hard replaced, Even by a fancy Brazilan.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finnan has proven time and time again how good he is, As far as im concerned he has been and still is the best right back in the Premer League, And just cos he's over 30 doesn't mean we should send him packing does it?

Once he keep up the good work he deserves his Red shirt!! Been one of our best most consistant players in last few years, and IMO when he does go he'll be hard replaced, Even by a fancy Brazilan.

I'd swap him for Alves in a heart beat though.

I voted Alves, because I really wanted him to come to Liverpool. Kenyon is saying the deal is not 100 % done yet, so fingers crossed....

I would prefer Finnan as a right back, but Alves as a right wing back(also an option for the wing). If someone wondered like....

Guest PaddyBerger15
Id rather have Finnan than Alves at right back, but Id rather have Alves than Pennant on the right wing.

Alves was coveted by many on here, and he has just had the season of his life, so his popularity should still be high even after signing for them wankers dahn sarf.

It is a little unfair because of Finnan's age. that is his only downside. Looking to the future you would maybe take Alves, but for this season and next it would be Finnan all the way.

If you could combine Finnan's defending abilty along with the flair and skill of Alves then you would have some right sided player.

Finnan at right back and Alves at right wing would have done me.

All of the above posts are bang on.

Alves would have been a cracking signing, but 25m is a silly price for where he is in his career right now. Rafa would have played him right wing here, with the occasional game at full back against the lesser teams. He would have eventually replaced Finnan at right back after Rafa had taught him how to defend in our league.

A right hand side axis of Alves and Finnan overlapping and covering each other would have been excellent, the lad Alves would have really made our team exciting.

Agree with every word of that mate.

We always get a good right back for some reason. I would have liked Alves at right mid and Finnan still in the team.

I think that is the way it would have went and as much as I would have liked Alves, 25million for a right back, is nuts.

Last season it was a good move but at the money now maybe not.

Assuming Alves goes for the reported 25 million then we couldn't have actually bought him for half that amount, we tried but they wanted more.

My vague memories are that we offered 10 milliones but Seville wanted 12. That might be wrong though.

Rafa quite often gets questioned on his ability to buy attacking players, but if you look at some of those he's tried to get while they were still relatively unknown, Alves, Eto'o, Villa they're all worth a hell of a lot more now then when we couldn't get them 2 or 3 years ago. Hopefully the one we did get, Babel, will turn out to be similar.

Alves seems more of a Chelsea player to me, i.e. able to imitate being hit by sniper fire the moment an opponent comes within 1 metre; able to feign agony and roll around a lot; able to wave imaginary yellow card. Alves was immense in the Supercup against Barcelona last year BUT some of his antics made me wonder how I'd feel about a Liverpool player using such blatant gamesmanship.

I'm not saying he isn't a skilful footballer, just that Finnan, to me, behaves like a Liverpool player.

Alves seems more of a Chelsea player to me, i.e. able to imitate being hit by sniper fire the moment an opponent comes within 1 metre; able to feign agony and roll around a lot; able to wave imaginary yellow card. Alves was immense in the Supercup against Barcelona last year BUT some of his antics made me wonder how I'd feel about a Liverpool player using such blatant gamesmanship.

I'm not saying he isn't a skilful footballer, just that Finnan, to me, behaves like a Liverpool player.

Agreed, but those are traits that he would have been told to stop doing or he would have learned that the hard way... The KOP would have reacted and told him to get on his feet quick enough..

Even Ronaldo stayed on his feet yesterday so anything is possible.

Finnan everytime. Alves isn't in the same league as a right back.

Spot on. I think Rafa saw Alves as as right-winger/midfielder and not a fullback. It will be interesting, assuming Chelsea get in, where Moanrinho plays him. I personally think he's a liability at fullback, and a bit lightweight.

Spot on. I think Rafa saw Alves as as right-winger/midfielder and not a fullback. It will be interesting, assuming Chelsea get in, where Moanrinho plays him. I personally think he's a liability at fullback, and a bit lightweight.

For most games the very top sides play these days, I'm not sure a top defensive full back is so necessary. Don't get me wrong, no-one wants a liability at the back when they're under the cosh, but a top keeper, two solid and pacey (ish) centre-halves and at least one protecting central midfielder should be enough to allow full backs to maraud forward on the attack, providing extra width, stretching opposing defences and generally being an additional threat. Certainly United, Arsenal and Chelsea seem to be going for pacey, attacking players in the full back slots. I think Rafa wants the same as he's forever trying to sign fullbacks. Unfortunately, thus far, he's always done it on the cheap. That's not a problem as far as ensuring we get solid defenders, but for fullbacks who can get forward, the price - as for all attacking players - is hefty.

Agreed, but those are traits that he would have been told to stop doing or he would have learned that the hard way... The KOP would have reacted and told him to get on his feet quick enough..

Even Ronaldo stayed on his feet yesterday so anything is possible.

I just wonder how much of his defensive game depends on those traits. I can really only go on last season's supercup game - he neutralised Ronaldinho, but it wasn't nice to watch. Could he have done it any other way?

Does anyone read a Chelsea forum? Do they simply accept, say, Drogba's dramatic dives or is there some shame? It's actually hard for me to say at what point I start to cringe at a player's antics - SG earning the free kick at Villa, no problem with that; it was harder to accept some of Garcia's "tricks", despite him being a player I loved to watch.