You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

59 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

For a city with a rep for comedy it's amazing how many of our comics are shit. John Bishop's meteoric rise just defies belief.

47 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That surprises me too. He's a nice fella and I wish him well but dont find him remotely funny myself.

I've seen him twice, once in the Pleasance in Edinburgh, and once in the arena in town.

Enjoyed them both, but he was actually better with the smaller crowd in Edinburgh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68126892

"I do get criticism because of how maybe tribal I am, because of how blunt I am, because of how edgy I am. I do speak from the heart. And I find it hard to put a filter on things at times," Webster says.

"If you like me, great, I like you. If you don't like me, it's not really my problem, you know what I mean? I know I'm trying to do a good thing and I know I make people happy with my music.

The crowd, God bless them, absolutely drenched," Webster continues. "And what a night we had. It was just a party, a proper Scouse party.

"We could have had a tidal wave coming in off the Mersey and we would have still been trying to fight our way through it. It was defiance and euphoria and adrenaline just balled up into this big massive gig.

"I felt like the city was mine. No, in fact I felt like the city was ours, you know what I mean? More so, I felt like the world was ours at that point."

4 hours ago, Kevin D said:

"I do get criticism because of how maybe tribal I am, because of how blunt I am, because of how edgy I am. I do speak from the heart. And I find it hard to put a filter on things at times," Webster says.

"If you like me, great, I like you. If you don't like me, it's not really my problem, you know what I mean? I know I'm trying to do a good thing and I know I make people happy with my music.

The crowd, God bless them, absolutely drenched," Webster continues. "And what a night we had. It was just a party, a proper Scouse party.

"We could have had a tidal wave coming in off the Mersey and we would have still been trying to fight our way through it. It was defiance and euphoria and adrenaline just balled up into this big massive gig.

"I felt like the city was mine. No, in fact I felt like the city was ours, you know what I mean? More so, I felt like the world was ours at that point."

I think he’s great. Good on the lad. Even if he’s not your cup of tea, it’s lovely to see a lad get out and make a go at life. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I think he’s great. Good on the lad. Even if he’s not your cup of tea, it’s lovely to see a lad get out and make a go at life. 

He's not my cup of tea, but he's been brave enough to have a go so fair fucks to him.

Seems his heart's in the right place at least.

8 hours ago, Kevin D said:

I find his music shite and him a bit annoying. I get others love him like, so fair enough.

He has got to watch himself though, as reading that he trading a very thin line of becoming this generations Dave Kirby

I wish him every success but it's not for me. He's part of the scouse Airfix kit. A couple of my aunties have it, they're components you need to be an Airfix Scouser. It includes liking Jamie Webster and Bongo's Bingo, and sharing Facebook posts from people they don't know of random attempted high end bicycle  thefts captured on doorbell cameras.

• Haha 1

On 21/12/2023 at 23:22, Harry Squatter said:

John May and that Paul Smith have just made careers out of being under scouse in loud shrieky voices. 

John May made some "Comedy" about a fella called Turkey teeth and his mate "Lemo" going to Turkey on holiday but getting involved in loads of gangster stuff with the locals. It's absolutely cringeworthy.

Paul smiths comedy routine just centres round drugs/alcohol on nights out and they other 95 per cent involves him ripping whoever is in the front row at his show. 

"Alright mate. What's yer name?". 

"John"

"Alright John, you don't sound too happy tonight. Where are you from lad?"

"Hoylake"

"Ooh John. You're proper posh you lad. I bet you shop in Waitrose don't yer?. Is this yer Mrs with yer. What's yer name luv?"

"Kate"

"Oooh like Kate Middleton. You two are proper posh you two. Did yer have a shag before yer came out?"

That's basically every clip I've ever seen of him. 

I quite like some of his audience interaction stuff, but his general stand up I don’t think I’ve ever seen to be fair - always those ripping the audience bits.

Better than jimmy Carr, who for some reason is seen as some sort of comedic genius by making shite mum jokes

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I wish him every success but it's not for me. He's part of the scouse Airfix kit. A couple of my aunties have it, they're components you need to be an Airfix Scouser. It includes liking Jamie Webster and Bongo's Bingo, and sharing Facebook posts from people they don't know of random attempted high end bicycle  thefts captured on doorbell cameras.

Yeah,I agree. I always preferred The Spinners style of 'Scouseness.'

• Upvote 1

When I worked down south I kept getting asked if everyone lived on streets like in Bread and was everyone Catholic. 

Probably the worst thing that happened image wise to the city. People who've never even watched it or weren't even born when it was on TV seem to think it's gospel. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

When I worked down south I kept getting asked if everyone lived on streets like in Bread and was everyone Catholic. 

Probably the worst thing that happened image wise to the city. People who've never even watched it or weren't even born when it was on TV seem to think it's gospel. 

When I first brought one of my mates up from Pompey he said he couldn't believe it, he thought "The North" was just like in the Hovis adverts.