You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

Guest simon
Now if only he could learn what they actually mean.

Ps the banana skin, really?

So much flavour is still left in the peel it flavoured my milk within a few minutes.

Rissoto Method is how you would usualy make a Rissoto absorbing you liquids into the Rice. Sowly bit by bit its often stock and white wine.

• 1 month later...
Guest simon

Ok as promised to Mal.

Chilli Con Carne best you will taste apparently haha

1/2 large onion

2 Cloves Garlic

1tbs Choped Toms

1 can of Red Kidney Beans

100ml Cola

50g Dark Chocolate

700g Beef Mince

1 Knor Beef cube

1tbs Cumin

1tbs Cinamon

1tbs Ground Coriander

1/2tbs Chilli powder

10 ml water

1 1 Clilli

1 tbs lee perins

Prep

Dice onion, Fine Chop Chilli mix with you 10 ml water, Paste your Garlic.

Ok, So heat a pan deep saucepan, add oil, Sweat Onions and Garlic, Add mince break it down and stir when all is cooked add your coke, let the meat soak it up. Next add beans and its juice. Stir now i add early as i don't like to fell them when eating personaly i usualy puree them but that isnt to everyones perefrence. Next add Toms stir in. then add all spices. There is a reason we haven't added the Paste yet. Taste and season with salt let the juices leave the pan. Now add your paste to taste. Then add choclate and you chillis with the water. Taste again finish with Lee n Perrins and season. Serve with Rice or Nan. Maybe a bit of the chocolate thats left.

Enjoy

right then, not long back from Florence where i experienced Ribollita, a traditional tuscan soup.

___________---____

• 310g zolfini or cannellini beans, fresh, or dried and soaked overnight

• 1 bay leaf

• 1 tomato, squashed

• 1 small potato, peeled

• 2 small red onions, peeled

• 2 carrots, peeled

• 3 sticks of celery, trimmed

• 3 cloves of garlic, peeled

• olive oil

• a pinch of ground fennel seeds

• a pinch of dried red chilli

• 1 x 400g tin of good-quality plum tomatoes

• 310g cavolo nero, leaves and stalks finely sliced

• 2 large handfuls of good-quality stale bread, torn into chunks

• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

• the best extra virgin olive oil you can find

__________________--

Finely chop your onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Heat a saucepan with a splash of olive oil and add the vegetables to the pan with the ground fennel seeds and chilli. Sweat very slowly on a low heat with the lid just ajar for around 15 to 20 minutes until soft, but not brown. Add the tomatoes and bring to a gentle simmer for a few minutes.

Add the cooked and drained beans with a little of the water they were cooked in, and bring back to the boil. Stir in the sliced cavolo (it will look like loads, but don’t worry as it will cook down), then moisten the bread with a little of the cooking water and stir it in too. The soup should be thick but not dry, so add a little more cooking water if you need to loosen it. Continue cooking for about 30 minutes – you want to achieve a silky, thick soup.

Season the ribollita with salt and pepper

Guest simon

Yeah i have thanks i have had a look at his book but havent Read it but its definatly one i was looking to buy Kevin a head Chef at the church green showed me it. Wow thats so cheap can i order at the same price of that?

• 2 weeks later...

fillet it, season it and fry it for 2 minutes skin side down then one minute flesh side down. Mackerel is so tasty you dont need to so much to it.

It also goes really well in a tomato based curry sauce.

Fry an onion and chopped garlic clove add ground curry spices (cumin, cayenne, tumeric, ginger, coriander etc) according to taste. Add either a can of chopped tomatoes or half a dozen tomatoes skinned and chopped to the onions plus a teaspoon of tomato puree. Simmer for a few minutes to reduce and season if required

cut the fish throught the backbone into 1 inch thick slices and put them into the sauce for a few minutes.

Guest simon

I dont know how far you are but a fast a great way of filleing you Mackrel is to cut the analtowaords the head take off the Head and the tail With you thumb softly feel for the bone on the tail end force your finges either side the push softly towards where the head was this will give the full fish minus the head and tail. Personaly i would stuff that with cheese and herbs Serve with Gilled Asparagus and some Salsa and mixed leaves. You could always rap it in pastry if you like and serve with veg instead of leaves.

Rocked some home-made Spinach and Ricotta gnocchi tonight:

• Heat some oil in a large pan, add 500g spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes until it wilts
  • Drain it and leave it to cool before chopping finely, put it in a large bowl
  • Mix the spinach with 225g ricotta, 55g flour, 2 eggs and 60g parmesan cheese, rest in the fridge for an hour (at least, a couple ideally)
  • Flour your hands and roll the mixture into small dumplings, placing on a floured plate/tray as you go
  • Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the gnocchi in small batches, its cooked when it floats to the top of the water (place the small batches into warm dishes in the oven whilst cooking the remainder)
  • I served that mother with a quick tomato sauce (shallots, garlic, carrot, tinned toms, tomato puree, small glug of red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and fresh basil) and a healthy shaving of parmesan.

Veggie food is fucking ace.

Guest simon

• Heat some oil in a large pan, add 500g spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes until it wilts
  • Drain it and leave it to cool before chopping finely, put it in a large bowl
  • Mix the spinach with 225g ricotta, 55g flour, 2 eggs and 60g parmesan cheese, rest in the fridge for an hour (at least, a couple ideally)
  • Flour your hands and roll the mixture into small dumplings, placing on a floured plate/tray as you go
  • Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the gnocchi in small batches, its cooked when it floats to the top of the water (place the small batches into warm dishes in the oven whilst cooking the remainder)
  • I served that mother with a quick tomato sauce (shallots, garlic, carrot, tinned toms, tomato puree, small glug of red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and fresh basil) and a healthy shaving of parmesan.

?

I love Gnocci can easily go wrong though. Sounds beautiful that mate. Mate wheres the Potatoes

?

I love Gnocci can easily go wrong though. Sounds beautiful that mate. Mate wheres the Potatoes

Recipe didn't call for any, so is it even classed as gnocchi?

Simon, get your shit together - ricotta gnocchi is much lighter than potato gnocchi, and I prefer it as well.

Simple to make (I make it with spinach too Karl) and quick/easy to boil. My only problem with ricotta gnocchi is that you can't pan-fry them very well, for that slightly crispy brownness that potato gnocchi can get.

Here is a couple of recipes for you....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/dining/27mini.html?_r=1&hpw

15 Minutes to Fame – Gnocchi for Beginners. And for Braggarts. » delicious:days

Excellent work Neko; I've only ever made gnocchi a couple of times, one potato and last night's ricotta and I prefer the ricotta one. Different texture though, can see what you mean about pan-frying them, they were very soft and sticky in comparison to potato based ones.

Guest simon

First time i heard of Gnocci without Potato, I actualy thought the wor Gnocci defined as a dumpling made from Potato and Flour sory if i was wrong im still learning.

Made this a few weeks back,meant to stick it up here but kept forgetting doing it again this weekend so said I'd better add it:

This is a Mexican/Texas dish

Borracho Bean Stew (Drunken Bean Stew)

Its Veggie ,can be used as a main,a stew or a side dish.Also goes well with some Chicken done in Mexican Spices

Ingredients

1 pound dried pinto beans, washed (available in Tesco)

2 quarts chicken stock

1 tablespoon salt

1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer (I used Grimbergen Trappist Belgian beer,any decent beer will do ,avoid shit beers)

2 (14.5 ounce) cans chopped stewed tomatoes

1 white onion, diced

1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers

6 cloves garlic, chopped

3 bay leaves

1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano

1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro/Coriander

Directions

Soak beans in a large pot of water overnight.

Drain beans, and refill the pot with chicken stock and enough water to cover the beans with 2 inches of liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Stir the beans occasionally through out the entire cooking process to make sure they do not burn or stick to the bottom of the pot.

Stir beer, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and cilantro into the beans. Continue to cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until beans are tender.

With a potato masher, crush the beans slightly to thicken the bean liquid. Adjust the seasoning with salt or pepper to taste.

Then the choice is either serve in a bowl as a stew ,or you can squash them up with a potato masher ,add the mix to some wraps with some Hot Salsa ,put in a baking tray and stick them in the oven with some cheese over them for a few minutes till the cheese melts..either way is good but its a damn tasty dish

• 2 weeks later...

Fancied a slow cooker day so I've just put this in:

brisketf.jpg

It's just a 1kg brisket loin I rubbed red and black pepper, paprika and oregano into. Sealed in a hot pan and lobbed in with a tin of new potatos (I know, I know, I just had them in), 2 chopped carrots and an onion. Bit of water and an oxo cube and put it on low.

When I get back from watching the charity shield in about 8 hours time I am going to eat like a king

Guest simon

I have a very boring week ahead of me so im gonna try something extremely nuts and Unique. A Full English And Teal Marshmallow Dish. I just wanna see if its possible. I believe it could work.