You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

these look yummy...

Lemongrass frozen yoghurt with basil recipe | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

Lemongrass frozen yoghurt with basil recipe

In Vietnamese cuisine, fresh herbs give the spicy rich food a remarkable lightness. Inspired by dishes where lemongrass delicately envelopes rich flavours, I came up with this recipe, which has become a personal favourite.

Makes 1.4 litres / 1.5 quarts

4 thin lemongrass stalks, washed and roughly chopped

180ml (¾ cup) agave nectar

570ml (2½ cups) plain Greek yoghurt (0% fat)

180 ml (¾ cup) organic low-fat milk

½ teaspoon finely grated lime zest

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

2 tablespoons thinly shredded fresh purple Thai basil (or ordinary basil if unavailable)

Optional equipment:

an ice cream maker

Put the lemongrass and agave nectar in a small saucepan set over a medium/high heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 3–4 minutes, until the mixture becomes bubbly white. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes so that the lemongrass taste infuses the agave nectar. Strain through a sieve to remove the lemongrass and set the nectar aside and allow it to cool completely.

Put the yoghurt, milk, lime zest and lime juice in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Pour in the lemongrass-scented agave nectar and add the basil. Stir well. Refrigerate the mixture until very cold. Transfer to the bowl of an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's directions, until creamy and smooth.

If you do not have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a freezerproof container. Put on the lid and place in the freezer. After about 45 minutes check the mixture. As it starts to freeze around the edges beat vigorously with a fork, whisk, electric hand mixer or spatula to break up the ice crystals. Repeat periodically until the mixture is frozen, about 2–3 hours. Serve in scoops.

Lemongrass-frozen-yoghurt-007.jpg

Guest simon

Bacon and Rosemary gallete?

Very simple also cheap and extremely tasty.

Ingrediants

250 g clarified butter melted.

About 12 Potatoes wafer thin sliced.

6 slices of bacon juluen inch in length save fat for your butter.

Rosemary fine chopped.

Ok very simple this

Layer potatoes like fish scales in a deep large tray. Up to down next sprinkle a genorous ammount of bacon and rosemary. Top with buter next the same again but left to right compete this alternating each layer dufferent direction.

When all is gone find simething heavy to compress it. Then refrudgerate for 5 hours. To cook pan fry in a little oil till golden brown then put in oven on gas mark 3 for about 10 mins.

This is great with any meat. Great for a roast.

Just made this as it was my turn to cook in our houseshare

Spicy Morroccan style Butternut Squash

1 butternut squash cut into large squares (about the size of the meat you'd stick in a curry)

4 carrots chopped into discs

5 tomatoes chopped

1 onion diced

1 tsp garlic puree (about 1 clove)

10 whole cloves

1 tablespoon cumin

1 tsp powdered cinnamon

1 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)

250ml chicken stock

Soften onions and add the cumin, cinnamon and garlic and a little stock, cook until resembles a paste. Add tomatoes, chilli flakes and cloves, mix well and cook out for a few minutes.

Add the squash, carrots and stock, stir well, bring to the boil and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Take lid off for final 15 to reduce whilst you cook rice with a bit of tumeric and a few more cloves in.

Serve to the adoration of your housemates/loved ones. One of the better things I've cooked recently this, and as always with my dishes reasonably simple and spicy as fook.

Right people, I want cheap and easy recipes. I'm a student and don't have cupboards full of plants and spices. I'm handy enough in the kitchen and like trying new stuff. Do your best.

The best way to cook cheap requires investment first. I've got one phrase for you "BATCH COOKING"

You'll need:

A slow cooker (mine was a score but can be cheaper)

A decent selection of herbs and spices (garamasala, cumin, chill, ginger and garlic powder, herbs du province, rosemary, basil etc)

Dried lentils/beans/pulses

Freezer bags/boxes

With these you can make delicious large batches of food with tinned tomatoes, stock and the cheapest cuts of meat from the butchers, shin, shoulder, brisket etc. There's shit loads of websites for frugal eating but whenever I'm skint I whack out my slow cooker and get cracking

Guest davelfc

I recently threw out a load of frozen meals I had cooked in my slow cooker previously. Using bloody good cuts of meat, but they tasted like shit once thawed and heated up. It's not as if they'd been in the freezer that long either.

I now use mine for a chilli, sausage or chicken casserole and for meals I intend to eat all I have cooked in a few days.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest simon

Was a bit bored and a bit skint, well I still am but any ways. I went in to the shop and bought some Dolmio and Pasta Shells. Chef took me to our kitchen. And passed me a loaf of Wall nut and Raisin Bread. I got home got hungry and decided to have a fuck about. With what I had. The results were quite spectacular. I Got a bowl and thought id have a mess about. I sliced a bit of the loaf thinly. And made a layer on the bottom of the bowl. I left the Crust on for Texture. i got my cooked chicken and finely diced and put that as a layer. I then spooned a layer of Dolmio over it. Then another layer of the bread then i put the shells on boil cooked them then shocked them. i then spooned some dolmio over that. Topped that with the remaining chicken then a layer of crust less bread. I then put this in the oven on 150 for about 15 minutes. I didn't season as there is no salt or pepper. i used my pallet knife to turn it out of the bowl. it looked and tasted fantastic. And i used hardly anything of what i have it filled me as well.

Guest ShoePiss
Was a bit bored and a bit skint, well I still am but any ways. I went in to the shop and bought some Dolmio and Pasta Shells. Chef took me to our kitchen. And passed me a loaf of Wall nut and Raisin Bread. I got home got hungry and decided to have a fuck about. With what I had. The results were quite spectacular. I Got a bowl and thought id have a mess about. I sliced a bit of the loaf thinly. And made a layer on the bottom of the bowl. I left the Crust on for Texture. i got my cooked chicken and finely diced and put that as a layer. I then spooned a layer of Dolmio over it. Then another layer of the bread then i put the shells on boil cooked them then shocked them. i then spooned some dolmio over that. Topped that with the remaining chicken then a layer of crust less bread. I then put this in the oven on 150 for about 15 minutes. I didn't season as there is no salt or pepper. i used my pallet knife to turn it out of the bowl. it looked and tasted fantastic. And i used hardly anything of what i have it filled me as well.

Really?

Edit: My mistake, you did your cooking somewhere else, not at the Chef's kitchen. For some reason I thought you were living onsite at this place...

Guest simon
Pack it in Si, getting the munchies man !

Are you in your new digs then ? Everything good mate ?

Yeah all good. My first day tomoz.

I fear your dream of becoming a top chef is about as likely to happen as my dream of you becoming an emeritus professor of astrophysics.

Guest simon
For a wannabe top chef you cook up some shite.

Surely you can whip up a tomato sauce from scratch that is tastier and cheaper than dolmio.

Didnt have enough money i have nothing. Spent it all on my ticket.

Guest ShoePiss
For a wannabe top chef you cook up some shite.

Surely you can whip up a tomato sauce from scratch that is tastier and cheaper than dolmio.

That crossed my mind too but I bet a dolmio jar is cheaper than making your own. Sad but true.

Guest ShoePiss
Just done roast sweet potatoes. mmmm

Have you done sweet potato chips/fries? Chip them, spray them with olive oil, salt and pepper and oven bake turning once until crisp. Healthy and really tasty.

Guest ShoePiss

1 bottle of Frank's hot sauce

4 chicken breast

On low in a slow cooker for 7hrs, shred it up and you have tangy spicy chicken. Have this on the go now and it will be used on nachos later.

If you are a fan of buffalo wings you'll love this, frank's is the only sauce to use when making buffalo wings.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Tried a weird jamie oliver quick fix today, was actually unbelievably tasty.

Slice of cheese.

Honey.

Coffee granules.

spread a little honey on the cheese and sprinkle with the crushed coffee granules, sounds wierd but it does work and like i said it's very tasty.