You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

My ma has a brilliant old indian cookbook she's head for about 20 years and swears by it. I believe it's not even in print anymore. Anyway I'm trying this tandori fish recipe later so I'll let you all know how it gets on. It's probably the most complex thing I've made. I took a photo of the recipe so will upload it somewhere for yous to look at

Ok, so this is what I'm trying later. Tandori white fish:

400g of white fish, patted dry, cut into 1in cubes

1tsp coriander powder

1tsp cumin

1/2 tsp garamasala

1/4 tsp chilli powder

2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped

1/2" cube of ginger, peeled and chopped

juice of half a lemon

2 tbls water

1 tsp salt

2 tbls flour

Mix the flour, salt and chili powder and lightly dust the fish with it. Fry for 5 minutes, 2 and a half each side, in a pan with oil. Take out of pan and put on paper towels to reduce oil.

Meanwhile mix the coriander, garamasala, cumin, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and water together to make what should be a lucid spice mixture. Return the fish to the pan and pour this mixture through a sieve straight into the frying pan, pushing down with a spoon leaving a course leftover in the seive which should be discarded.

Gently stir until the fish is covered in the spices. I will be serving this with boiled rice and green beans. That is the theory. It's probably one of the most complicated things ingredients wise that I've ever done. I will report back

1tsp coriander powder

1tsp cumin

1/2 tsp garamasala

1/4 tsp chilli powder

juice of half a lemon

2 tbls water

1 tsp salt

2 tbls flour

Mix the flour, salt and chili powder and lightly dust the fish with it. Fry for 5 minutes, 2 and a half each side, in a pan with oil. Take out of pan and put on paper towels to reduce oil.

Meanwhile mix the coriander, garamasala, cumin, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and water together to make what should be a lucid spice mixture. Return the fish to the pan and pour this mixture through a sieve straight into the frying pan, pushing down with a spoon leaving a course leftover in the seive which should be discarded.

Gently stir until the fish is covered in the spices. I will be serving this with boiled rice and green beans. That is the theory. It's probably one of the most complicated things ingredients wise that I've ever done. I will report back

sounds delicious - might try that with some leftover frozen cod.

PD - i bet you'll like this recipe. it is from a world famous modern indian restaurant in vancouver called Vij's...... my edits are in italics.

VIJS

Marinated Lamb Popsicles in Fenugreek Curry

Serves 6

This is our signature dish at Vij's—probably our most famous and most popular. The size of the lamb popsicles will depend on the rack of lamb you buy. If the popsicles are bigger, then four per serving is usually enough; if they are slightly smaller, then go with five per serving. Serve these popsicles over turmeric new potatoes.

Lamb

* 1/4 cup sweet white wine

* 3/4 cup grainy yellow mustard

* 1 tsp salt

* 1 tsp ground black pepper

* 4 Ibs French-cut racks of lamb, in chops

Curry Sauce

* 4 cups whipping cream

* 1 Tbsp salt

* 1 tsp paprika

* 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper

* 1 Tbsp dried green fenugreek leaves (edit: i don't often have the leaves, so i substitute with fenugreek seeds and add kaffir lime leaves)

* 1/4 cup lemon juice

* 3 to 4 Tbsp canola oil

* 3 Tbsp finely chopped garlic

* 1 tsp turmeric

(edit: i like to spice it up a little more with good curry powder)

Lamb

Combine wine, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add lamb and coat well with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.

Curry Sauce

In a large bowl, combine cream, salt, paprika, cayenne, fenugreek leaves and lemon juice. Heat 3 to 4 Tbsp of the oil in a medium pot on medium heat and saute garlic until golden. Stir in turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cream mixture and cook on low to medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until it is gently boiling. (edit: i tend to make this a little in advance and simmer while concentrating on not burning the lamb on the bbq)

Finish Lamb

Preheat a stove-top cast iron grill or barbeque to high heat. Place lamb on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.

To Serve

Serve popsicles piping hot off the grill. Depending on their size, place 4 to 5 lamb popsicles on each plate. Pour the cream curry over the meat or ladle it into a small bowl and use it as a dipping sauce for the popsicles. (edit: i like to serve them in a shallow bowl - sort of like a dippping sauce)

Wine

We love the Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner, which we always keep on our wine list. (edit: i agree - something crisp and sharp, not too sweet)

lamb.jpg

I fired off Chicken Kievs two weeks ago while a sporting occasion was happening in the Merseyside area against some hoodlums from West London.

By the by.

You need:

3 skinned chicken breast fillets (or however many are in your family)

2 sachets of Kerrygold Garlic Butter

Boursin soft cheese

Breadcrumbs (Usually best using slices of bread instead of the awful ones you can buy)

1tbsp of plain flour

1 egg - medium or large

Butterfly the chicken breast and place half a sachet of garlic butter and a tsp of boursin inside the chicken.

Have 3 flat bowls set to one side. One with flour in, one with a beaten egg in and the last one with the breadcrumbs in.

Dust the chicken breast with the flour, covering it. Then roll in the beaten egg and finally into the breadcrumbs for coating.

After this you need to have heated oil in a frying pan. Usually 1-2 tbsp. I prefer Olive Oil, but the world is your oyster.

Cook for 3-4 minutes turn frequently until the chicken is sealed.

Transfer to the oven for 20-25 minutes on around 200c or 180c for fan ovens.

Enjoy.

1tsp coriander powder

1tsp cumin

1/2 tsp garamasala

1/4 tsp chilli powder

juice of half a lemon

2 tbls water

1 tsp salt

2 tbls flour

Single greatest meal I've ever cooked. The fish was wonderfully spiced. I've used too many superlatives in my head in the past 20 minutes to give you a list now but I would recommend this highly. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be despite seeming complex. The original recipe suggested using tandoori colouring or red food colouring which I didn't hence the colour of the fish but I doubt that mattered much.

Great success

IMAG0109.jpg

hmm - plating skills need a bit of work. good food is also about presentation.

do you rotate those plates depending on what meal you're eating ?

i'd buy some nice new square plates - when's your birthday (or wedding date?)

Birthday is in march and it will be paraded on the GF for a good few weeks before hand to ensure that any cards, cash, presents are received.

I think I threw it on the plate mostly because I was fucking starving after cooking it and smelling it (my downstairs smells like a curryhouse) not to mention having to take a picture for this thread!

If I was cooking for Megan Fox I probably would;ve lined up all my green beans mind

This is something I've been doing occasionally when I want something thats simple-ish and truly ace with big flavours: pasta, olio e aglio, sundried tomatoes, prosciutto and green pepper.

Half a large green pepper chopped, a handful of blanched sundried tomatoes and a hundred grams or so of thin prosciutto torn up into shredded pieces.

Start a minced clove of garlic in a pan with a large portion of olive oil, add a bit of chili flakes if you fancy a bit of heat. Give the green pepper a few minutes in there first, then add the tomato, then toss the prosciutto in last. Toss with pasta, black pepper to taste, grated cheese on top -- lovely hot meal, light as a feather with big flavours and plenty to keep you warm of a winter's eve.

Also goes nicely with a bit of mushroom as well, either instead or in addition to the green pepper.

• 3 weeks later...

Curried Monkfish:

Bear with me. This goes against many of my personal rules about curries and I was deeply suspicious but trust me foodies, this is outstanding and a really good winter curry dish.

400g monkfish cut into chunks

glass of dry white wine

tablespoon of lemon juice

1tsp of ground ginger, cumin, coriander

1tbsp curry powder

2 chopped chillies including seeds

150ml cooled fish stock

couple of crushed & chopped cloves of garlic

^Get that shit marinating in the fridge for about an hour

1 carrot thinly sliced

4oz chestnut mushrooms, sliced

2 courgettes sliced

70g soured cherries (soured, NOT glacé cherries. Could use raisins if you cant get soured cherries.)

A couple of smallish eating apples peeled and chopped into chunks

When the fish has marinated, fry the vegetables and cherries in a little oil for ten mins then throw the fish in, marinade and all. Cook for another 10 minutes then add the apples and cook for another 5 minutes. The sauce will be very watery so if you don't like it like that, either thicken it with some butter or some cornflour in water.

Serve with rice and usual curry accompaniments. I usually stay well away from any kind of fruit in curry but believe me, the flavours coming out of this dish are something else.

Just been reading through the whole thread on the hope of finding a Khazak lamb recipe.

I had it on holiday with some fruit pilau and it was great.

A couple of easy dishes i do.

Simple Tropical fruit,Ice Cream and Honey.

Just a case of cooking fruits of choice in pan using a little orange juice to stop it burning.Add Honey and Rum.

The Discovery spice mixes that have allready been mentioned in the early pages of the thread are great.

Boil some liver and just before its cooked take it out the pan and into a bowl with the spice mix,place in frying pan and add

a good splash of Bourbon(Woodford reserve or Bullet,recomended).

At the same time as the Liver is boiling place some Garlic and onions into a pan 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and some Passata depending

on how thick you want the sauce.

fry veg of choice (peppers,onion,mushrooms,green beans etc) and add to the sauce to keep warm,serve with the liver.

Going to try this while off over new year

Venison with bean and chorizo stew

Ingredients

For the stew

1 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

1 garlic clove, crushed to a paste

200g/7oz chorizo, chopped and fried until the oils are released

splash sherry

1 red bird's-eye chilli, chopped

pinch ground paprika

pinch cocoa powder

250g/9oz canned butter beans, rinsed and drained

3 tomatoes, chopped

sprig fresh rosemary, chopped

100ml/3½fl oz beef stock

For the venison

2 x 150g/5oz venison loins

salt and freshly ground black pepper

olive oil

knob of butter

To serve

mashed sweet potatoes

chopped fresh parsley

Preparation method

For the stew, heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft.

Add the cooked chorizo, a splash of sherry, the chilli, paprika and cocoa powder and stir well.

Add the beans, tomatoes, rosemary and beef stock and simmer for about 15 minutes.

For the venison, season the venison well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and rub with oil.

Heat a pan until very hot and sear the venison on all sides. Turn down the heat and add a knob of butter. Spoon the butter over the venison to glaze it and continue to fry until cooked to your liking.

To serve, divide the mashed sweet potatoes between two serving plates and spoon over the stew. Top with the venison and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Great for fish and chicken also the contriversial rabbit

Carrot Essence

1 Pint

15 ml olive oil. 2k carrots. 115g leek. 2 celery. 1 onion. 3pts water. 2tbsp sugar. salt.

Peel and roughly chop all of your veg.

Heat oil in pan add the veg cover and sweat for 10 mins dont let them colour.

add water and sugar season with salt.

bring to the boil and gently simmer for one hour.

pass through a fine sive and reduce in pan till you have a pint left over.

Saw this on Nigella on Saturday morning. By Sunday afternoon it was in my stomach:

Some chicken thighs, skin on

A generous handful of cooking chorizo sausages

Halved new potatoes

Coursely chopped red onion

Oregano

Orange zest (grated over the chicken)

Olive oil

Maybe chuck in some crushed garlic cloves, possibly a few chille flakes.

Chuck the lot in a shallow baking tray, pack it full of the ingredients and chuck in the oven on 200 degrees for an hour. Serve with a salad or some crusty bread or whatever you want. So simple it's ridiculous and amazingly tasty.

I've got this in the oven at the moment, just had a look and there seems to be a lot of juice, probably because I added courgette and a few tomatoes or maybe too much oil. I'm in a dilema as to pour some of it away!!!!

Easy 20 minute meal for anyone pushed for time

Chicken Pasta

2 x Chicken Breasts

1 x jar Red Pesto

1 x Red Onion

1 x Red Pepper

1 x Garlic Clove

1 x Tub of Creme Fraiche

Stick on some pasta Dice the pepper & Onion ,cut the chicken into small pieces and cook them all in a pan with a little olive oil and with the garlic..when cooked chuck in the jar of pesto and the tub of creme fraiche and a bit of black pepper and stir..also add a spoonfull of the water from the pasta.

Drain the pasta and chuck it into the pan and stir it around and serve ...did that tonight and took me 20 minutes to make ...great meal when stretched for time

Edited by Remmie