You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

Guest simon

The Ultimate Fish Pie seriously don't knock it till you try it.

Ingredients

Fish pie mix 1/2kg Coli Salmon Cod Haddock.

Fresh Dill

1 Lime

Milk

Cinamon

Puff pastry

Plain Flour

Salted Butter

Gruyerre Cheese

Cheddar

Desere Potatoes

Salt

Ok so you want to cut your fish into one cm cubes.

Put in deet tray and cover with milk. A one lime cut in half. Some fresh dill and season with salt. Place in oven on low heat and cook till flaky.

Next make a Roux (Melt butter and add equal amount of flour stir till smooth cook out the flour you can cheat and use a whisk but it really should be a wooden spoon.

Next transfer the milk from the fish to a pan scold (cook to the point where it almost bubbles over the pan. Then you want to add it slowly bit by bit to the roux. Whisk or stir till smooth if its too thick you can add more milk.

Next add some of your cheese. Remember to keep tasting. Then add cinamon please taste as this an easily kill the dish if you add too much. you need about half a tbs. But add slowly an taste. Thats your sauce and it is heavenly. You dont have to use much of it and its lovely with pasta.

Make your mash Cut boil and mash with butter.

Now you need a deep bowl bottom layer fish then cover with your sauce. Top this with mash then your cheese then put a sheet of puff pastry over the top. Glaze with yolk.

Put in oven till Pastry is Golden brown.

Wolla it is done.

Now for the left over sauce.

Beef

1 Onion

1 Garlic Clove

Butter

Get a frying pan or Sautee pan. Melt butter add beef sliced into ladons. Cook till dark brown and tender. Add onions and garlic. cook till there is no butter in your pan. Then add your remaining Sauce and warm up with beef. Put your past on use plenty of salt. After pasta is done add to the Sauce. Done

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like more or less the ideal basis for Chicken Cacciatore. I can't access any links right now, but put that into Google and see if it tempts you.

Hmm it looks pretty good. I'm missing some mascarpone but I could always throw some cathedral city on top towards the end of the cooking process...

Edit: Bastard looks like I haven't any basil. I might see if my housemate has any dried stuff

not inspired by those ingredients, PD - sorry. i think trumo is right though.

i did make a couple of simple, yet elegant and tasty meals this weekend to share.

first was lamb chops with a honey mustard glaze. it's normal to go sort of greek with lamb, but i also like doing a creamy curry style, which is awesome (somewhere in the thread is the recipe called 'lamb popsicles').

basically equal parts honey and a good mustard, some garlic, salt and pepper. marinate for a few hours then 5-6 minutes a side on the bbq, or in a pan (glaze with mixture while cooking). potatoes and some broccollini on the side.

the other dish was with fresh sole, which i usually shy away from since i like more denser, thick cuts of fish (the wife bought them, when i sent her out for black cod)

i decided to bread them with panko flakes, pistachios and herbs. in a processor i ground those ingredients up, with a little garlic, salt and pepper.

coat in flour, then dip through a mix of eggs (2), then cover with bread mixture.

pan fry in butter for about 4 minutes a side, and you have a very tasty alternative to battered fish....the sole has to be good quality and fresh though (not smelly at all).

served that with roasted potatoes and asparagus with some dipping sauces (lemon dill mayonnaise and a curry mayonnaise).

got lucky after both those meals.

i did make a couple of simple, yet elegant and tasty meals this weekend to share.

first was lamb chops with a honey mustard glaze. it's normal to go sort of greek with lamb, but i also like doing a creamy curry style, which is awesome (somewhere in the thread is the recipe called 'lamb popsicles').

basically equal parts honey and a good mustard, some garlic, salt and pepper. marinate for a few hours then 5-6 minutes a side on the bbq, or in a pan (glaze with mixture while cooking). potatoes and some broccollini on the side.

the other dish was with fresh sole, which i usually shy away from since i like more denser, thick cuts of fish.

i decided to bread them with panko flakes, pistachios and herbs. in a processor i ground those ingredients up, with a little garlic, salt and pepper.

coat in flour, then dip through a mix of eggs (2), then cover with bread mixture.

pan fry in butter for about 4 minutes a side, and you have a very tasty alternative to battered fish....the sole has to be good quality and fresh though (not smelly at all).

served that with roasted potatoes and asparagus with some dipping sauces (lemon dill mayonnaise and a curry mayonnaise).

This has to be the main reason Simon wants to be a chef.

the other dish was with fresh sole, which i usually shy away from since i like more denser, thick cuts of fish (the wife bought them, when i sent her out for black cod)

I recently bought a waffle iron. It could be the most sensational purchase ever, I am destroying waffles with aplomb. Marmite waffles, marone! I will shortly be inventing Welsh Waffle Rarebit

This has to be the main reason Simon wants to be a chef.

Yeah so anyway. My tea.

I've settled on a version of this: chicken-cacciatore

Browned chicken with olive oil and put onto bed of sliced carrots into a roasting dish and cubed potatoed around it

Onion, 3 cloved of crushed garlic into pan softened, added tin of tomatoes, chicken stock, dried basil and oregano as well as some chilli flakes and black pepper. Just waiting for that sauce to cook out a bit before I pour it over the chicken and veg and slam it in the oven.

I might well put some grated cathedral city over it when I'm done as well

Guest ShoePiss
I recently bought a waffle iron. It could be the most sensational purchase ever, I am destroying waffles with aplomb. Marmite waffles, marone! I will shortly be inventing Welsh Waffle Rarebit

I've never used my waffle iron for anything but belgian waffles, put some recipes up!

I've settled on a version of this: chicken-cacciatore

Browned chicken with olive oil and put onto bed of sliced carrots into a roasting dish and cubed potatoed around it

Onion, 3 cloved of crushed garlic into pan softened, added tin of tomatoes, chicken stock, dried basil and oregano as well as some chilli flakes and black pepper. Just waiting for that sauce to cook out a bit before I pour it over the chicken and veg and slam it in the oven.

I might well put some grated cathedral city over it when I'm done as well

imag0460.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Took a chunk of the chicken to make sure was cooked

imag0461if.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Very tasty with some cathedral city on the chicken.

I made this a few weeks ago and it was a massive success. Made it again at the weekend and it was still as good. Piece of piss to make and proper old school. The amount for the sauce is too much, but that is ace as it is a brilliant sauce for ice cream.

Sticky toffee pudding

Nigel Slater made a classic hot British pudding for actor Richard E Grant, with toffee sauce.

Ingredients

For the pudding

150g/5oz dates, stones removed, chopped

250ml/9fl oz hot water

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

60g/2¼ oz butter, softened

60g/2¼ oz caster sugar

2 free-range eggs

150g/5oz self-raising flour

For the toffee sauce

200g/7oz butter

400g/14oz brown sugar

vanilla pod, split

250ml/9fl oz double cream

Preparation method

Preheat the oven to 180C/370F/Gas 4.

Mix the dates, bicarbonate of soda and the water together in a bowl and leave to soak for ten minutes.

In a clean bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.

Still stirring the butter mixture, gradually add the eggs, making sure they are well mixed in.

Still stirring, gradually add the flour, then add the date mixture.

Pour the mixture into a 20cm/8in square cake tin. Place into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through.

To make the sauce, melt the butter in a thick bottomed pan over a medium heat.

Add the brown sugar, vanilla pod and cream and stir well. Simmer for five minutes.

To serve, spoon out a portion of the pudding onto a plate and pour over the hot toffee sauce.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just made a simple and yet delicious spinach, veg dahl...like this:

1 pint chicken stock

1 onion diced

2 cups red split lentils

1 bowl of frozen mixed veg (mine was carrot, pea and sweetcorn)

2 large handfuls of fresh spinach leaves

3 garlic cloves

2 tsp ground cumin

2 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp tumeric

1 tsp hot chilli powder

handful of fresh chopped coriander

Onions and garlic in the pan, cook out naturally. Add your spices and a touch of stock and cook for about 5 minutes to create your base paste. Chuck in your vegtables and stock, then sprinkle the lentils in and half the coriander.

Bring to the boil and cover, stirring every 5 minutes or so until lentils are cooked and soft, I had to add some water towards the end. Stir in your spinach about 5 minutes before you're ready to serve so it cooks but doesn't disintegrate.

Serve with some rice cooked with a little tumeric for colour and some cloves.

It's fucking lovely and I'm to tear my bog a new U-bend tomorow morning

Guest simon

So as im now known s the Excentric Chef here is my take on Excentricity.

Summary

Well this was an Experiment. With Bananas. Its very simple and tastes great. Tombanilli is made up by my as short for Tomatos Chilli and Banana.

Ingredients

White Wine

Aborio

2x Banana

6x med Toms

2 Chilli 1x Red 1 x Green

1 med Onion

5x Garlic Cloves

Butter

Salt

Pepper white

Cinamon

Corriander Seeds

Soy

Roux Butter+ Flour

Milk

Recipe

Ok so prep first. slice half of the tomatoes peel bananas add to blender next add some seeds from the chili bit of milk and blits season to taste (This is your Enhancer put to one side.

Next get a pan add banana skins Onionis cut you chillis but save half add a teapoon of coiander seeds, Cinamon. Leave for 1 hour.

Make a roux heat pan of flavoured milk on gas mark 1 bring to boil then whisk into the roux.

Next get half of the onion finely chop Sweat in pan once sweated add your aborio. Do the issoto methed then add you made sauce. taste and season. Next slowly add your enhancer sti and taste constantly . Next julien left over Chilli and Tomatos. andd to dish.

Done enjoy.