You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

Flatten a boneless pork loin steak between two pieces of cling film. Not paper thin, just flattened out a bit. Make some granary breadcrumbs in a food process and add a few chili flakes. Beat an egg, dip the pork in it and then coat it in the spicy breadcrumbs. Fry on each side for a minute or two in a tiny bit of oil. Sprinkle a few drops of lemon or lime juice on the pork just before serving. Serve with any veg, I had mine tonight with bubble & squeak and peas. For a final touch use the remains of the egg to make a mini omelette, fold into a 1/4 circle and pop it on top of the pork.

Simple, healthy and well tasty.

Enjoy.

Replace chilli with a sprinkle of paprika.

Sweat out garlic, onions & peppers with tablespoon of oil for 10 mins on medium heat. Add tablespoon of paprika, add tin of chopped tomatoes with teaspoon of vegetable stock powder & season. Bring to boil & then simmer for 5 mins.

Serve with the pork & you've got rántott sertésszelet lecsóval

Beef Bourguignon

600g beef shin, cut into large chunks

1 tbsp plain flour

100g smoked streaky bacon , sliced

350g shallots or pearl onions, peeled

250g chestnut mushrooms (about 20)

2 garlic clove , sliced

1 bouquet garni (bayleaf, parsely, thyme)

1 tbsp tomato purée

750ml bottle red wine

Coat the beef in the flour and season with salt and pepper

Brown the meat well in a couple of tablespoons of oil and set aside

in the same pan fry the bacon, shallots, and garlic for a few mins then add the mushrooms and fry for a few more minutes.

Add the tomato puree and the bouquet garni

Return the meat and any juices to the pan

Pour in the bottle of wine and 100ml of water

Cover and put it into the Oven on gas mark 2 for about 3 hours.

If needed remove the meat and veg and reduce the sauce for a few minutes on the hob then return them to the sauce.

Tastes even better if left for 24 hours and reheated.

Replace chilli with a sprinkle of paprika.

Sweat out garlic, onions & peppers with tablespoon of oil for 10 mins on medium heat. Add tablespoon of paprika, add tin of chopped tomatoes with teaspoon of vegetable stock powder & season. Bring to boil & then simmer for 5 mins.

Serve with the pork & you've got rántott sertésszelet lecsóval

That's easy for you to say.

It's sunday, it's a boring day, it's a cooking day! I am, in the style of Simon, experimenting today. I am making a cottage pie of sorts using:

1/2 a diced spicy chorizo

1 diced onion

2 crushed garlic cloves

1 tin baked beans

1 tin chopped tomatos

1 tsp basil

That's all cooking in a pan downstairs and I plan to put it under a layer of cheesey mash. Hopefully will turn out a spicy treat to be served with steamed green beans

Really liked this article / recipe

How to cook the perfect rÃsti | Life and style | The Guardian

Felicitys-perfect-rosti-007.jpg

For a simple peasant dish with just two ingredients – and humble ones at that – rösti is surprisingly difficult to pin down. In fact, it's almost as if the Swiss want to keep the recipe secret, tucked away in a subterranean vault, as establishing anything concrete about this Alpine favourite, from the type of potatoes used to the cooking method, is a feat akin to scaling the north face of the Eiger. (In fact, it's even harder, because no one, as far as I can tell, has come up with anything even vaguely resembling a definitive rösti recipe.) The only thing I do work out during my initial research is that I've been pronouncing it wrongly all these years: apparently it's reursch-ti rather than row-sti. But frankly, that's the least of my troubles.

While many Swiss consider it their national dish, the world has taken a shine to it too, and it's not as if I haven't eaten a few in my time (most memorably one in the Himalayas that came with a teaspoon embedded in the centre). That said, I was startled to read on one food blog that despite a year-round average humidity of 84% "most restaurants ... in Singapore serve rösti as a side". A taste for fried potato, it seems, is universal. All too often, however, these globalised röstis have an unpleasantly starchy flavour and greasy, raw interior, which makes them a prospect even less appealing than burger bar hash browns as far as I'm concerned.

Then, this summer, I spent a long weekend walking in the Alps, and I realised that, while the Swiss are apparently incapable of producing even a glass of water for less than a tenner, they do make the world's best rösti. Crisp on the outside, soft and meltingly, well, potato-ey within, it was so good it needed no other adornment – although, of course, with mountains to climb, I added liberal amounts of smoked ham and local cheese. But, when I tried to find a recipe to recreate it at home, I came up against a wall of silence: and with no definitive way to cook a rösti, the only thing to do was experiment.

Article continues with experiments....

How to cook the perfect rÃsti | Life and style | The Guardian

Takes forever to cook, and, the first time I had it made for me I thought I'd hate it beforehand but I was more than pleasantly suprised. It's the perfect staying in at the weekend food to eat and prepare.

South African Recipes

Room for experimentation here and I'd add chilli and green/red peppers at least to the above. Rice with shredded kale and crusty bread. Heaven.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ShoePiss

Here's a great simple dish for people who like mac and cheese and chili, sorry for the imperial measurements but I can't be arsed converting it for you. It would be worth it though.

Chili and Cheese macaroni

1/2 pound elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked pasta)

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 1/2 pounds ground beef (85% lean)

1 onion, chopped

1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes

1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes

1 tablespoon light brown sugar

12 oz Colby Jack cheese, shredded

Cook the macaroni and save 3/4 cup of the pasta water. Cook the mince, onions, garlic, red pepper with the spices in a little oil. Add in the tomatoes, brown sugar and pasta water and simmer for about 20 minutes.

set oven to 400F.

Mix pasta and the rest all together with about half of the cheese and add it to a 9"x13" pyrex dish. Cook for 30 minutes then add the rest of the cheese to the top and return to oven to until the cheese melts and starts to bubble and brown.

It's just as good the next day too.

5591091073_70e2a2df3e.jpg

Ok the best bread you ever tasted its a Rye Bread

you need

425g Rye Flour

320g Granery

15g salt

15g sugar

60g butter

12g yeast

120g milk

2g Carraway seeds

2g cumin

1 Largre onion diced

2 tbs goose fat or oil

2g Tyme

1 egg

So

first caramalise you onions in goose fat or oil.

Dry ingredient except for yeast onion and sugar mix till incorperated

when well mixed add the egg mix again till incorperated next add onions and its juicies. mix again now put your butter sugar and milk into one tub. microwave tepid then add yeast to the milk whisk till liquid is one coulour. Next add a bit of the liquid then need. repeat the process till liqauid is gone then roll out on hard surface to about 1 inch thick p[reheat oven to 180 then cook for about 15 minutes. enjoy.

• 4 months later...

Made a tasty tea before pretty much from leftovers.

Paulie D's Mackerel and Parmesan Fish Cake

Ingredients

2 x large potatoes (I used Cyprus)

1 x handful of mixed frozen veg (peas, carrots, green beans and sweet corn in my case)

1 x smoked mackerel fillet

5 x shallots (or an onion I suppose)

Parmesan cheese

8 Cream crackers

Boil the potatoes and frozen veg in the same pan. Whilst this goes on split the crackers 5 to 3 and put in seperate plastic sandwich bags, using a rolling pin or bottle crush them to breadcrumb consistency.

Drain and mash the spuds and veg together with a knob of butter and season with salt & pepper. Put in a bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes or so, or just until it's not too hot to put your hands in. Finely chop or grate the shallots and put into mix as well as the larger bag of cracker-crumbs and mix well. Using 2 forks flake the mackerel fillet and add to the mix gradually stirring to make sure you have fairly even consistency of fish distribution. Finely grate the Parmesan to taste, I used a lot because I like cheese.

Get your hands in there and mix that shit together, knead it until everything comes together. You may want to add an egg but with my mixture it was pliable enough to not need anything added. Form into 4 small patties or 2 mega ones like I did.

Put the remaining crackercrumbs onto a plate and spread about. Pat both sides of each fish cake with them and place on a plate.

Bring a pan with a thin layer of oil (I used spray, you may use as much as you like) to a medium heat and put patties in. Flip when bottom is golden brown and crispy. I had mine with courgettes cooked with garlic and more shallots.

Fucking lovely tasty fish cake. Probably the tastiest imrpov dish I've made and a great excuse to bump this thread as it's been a while

• 2 months later...

This looks good, a piece of piss to make and relatively healthy (apart from the chorizo) if you cook the chicken and onions in frylight instead of olive oil.

I'd recommend following @kitchengeekery if you're on twitter. They post some great recipes and ideas at times.

Kitchen Geekery :: Recipes :: American :: Chicken and chorizo jambalaya

Ingredients

Serves: 4

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 45 minutes

Total time: 1 hour

500ml/1 pint chicken stock

400g/14 oz chopped tomatoes

200g/7 oz cured chorizo

300g/12 oz chicken breasts, chopped

250g basmati/long grain rice

2 onions, finely chopped

1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 tbsp. cajun seasoning

½ tbsp. chilli powder (Optional)

½ tbsp. paprika

Olive oil

Method

In a large pan drizzle a few tablespoons of olive oil, and add add the chopped chicken and onions - cook over a medium heat until the chicken has sealed and the onions are soft.

Add the pepper, garlic, chorizo and Cajun seasoning, and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Here, I usually would cook the cured chorizo for a few minutes longer as I prefer it quite crispy.

Stir in the rice, add the chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, paprika (if not using cured chorizo), and the chilli powder.

Cover and simmer the mixture for 30 minutes. The rice will cook and the colours of the paprika, chorizo and tomatoes will impart a vibrant red and orange glow to the jambalaya.

Serve hot, and generously.

chicken-and-chorizo-jambalaya.jpeg

I do something similar but fry the chorizo first and use the oil it gives off to fry the onions and peppers. Oh, and mine doesnt have chicken but has prawns which I just add right at the end

I do something similar but fry the chorizo first and use the oil it gives off to fry the onions and peppers. Oh, and mine doesnt have chicken but has prawns which I just add right at the end

That makes sense. This shit will be going down at Lurtz Towers this weekend.

Aye, I make this dish all the time as well, and you absolutely have to fry the chorizo first.

You don't need any oil as loads will come out of the sausage itself. That lovely oily, tasty gorgeousness then all soaks in to the rest of the ingredients. Boss!

Sometimes I save it and drizzle it on at the end.

I'm in between jobs at the moment which means its baking time.

Victoria Sponge Cake

200g self raising flour

200g butter

200g caster sugar

4 medium eggs

1 teaspoon baking powder.

2 tablespoons of milk

whisk together in a bowl to make a smooth batter

grease and line two 8" cake tins with baking paper

Split the mixture between the two tins then into the oven, gas mark 5 for 20 mins then leave to cool

For the filling

100g butter

140g icing sugar

whisk together to make the buttercream

200g strawberry jam - or more if you really like jam

spread the buttercream over the top of one of the cakes

spread the jam on top of the buttercream

place the other cake on top

dust with icing sugar

chocolate cake

Same ingredients as above for the cake mix but add 2 tablespoons of cocoa (not drinking chocolate) when you make the batter

I like whipped cream rather than buttercream for a chocolate cake so 200ml of double cream in a bowl and whisk until its firm enough that you can hold the bowl upside down over your head.

Spread the cream on top of one cake and place the other cake on top. Save about 1 tablespoonful which you use to dip one side of the chocolate buttons in an stick them on the top.

Guest TK-421
Nah. Green bell peppers suck arse. Red, yellow and orange are all good but green are the devil's spawn.

Do they give you indigestion?

Nah. Green bell peppers suck arse. Red, yellow and orange are all good but green are the devil's spawn.

That's a shame because the green pepper provides a contrast to the 'sweetness' of the chorizo and the red pepper

Gypsey Coddle

Gypsey Recipie ive learned is very decent and good for a hangover.

You need

3 Large Mushrooms Choped

About 5 slices of good bacon Julien or Lardons

1 Large Onion thin sliced

2 and a half Good Sausages Sliced thin in rounds

Salt

White Pepper

Milk

Knob of Butter

Ok so you chop everything up put it in a pan add a lot of salt cover with cold water. Bring to the boil for 10 mins.

Now you can choose what to do here, You can drain the water and not use it. But with the right seasoning it makes a nice Broth which i always drink.

But you have to drain all the water out of the pan, Add your nob of butter add allot of White peper maybe half a table spoon depends on you anyway stir it all in. Then cover with milk and return to stove bring it to the boil for 5 mins. Taste and season then its done best served with some good white bread. Enjoy

That's a shame because the green pepper provides a contrast to the 'sweetness' of the chorizo and the red pepper

Indeed. Equally I could throw in some bits of that dried white dog shite instead, which would also add some contrast but which would also taste better than green peppers.