You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest player in your lifetime?

Section_31

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people will think I'm being different on purpose but I'm not.

For me it is probably Thuram. Pretty much the most complete defender in my lifetime. Athletecism, pace, reads the game, comanding, passing, scored important goals, was absolute World Class at both full back and centre back.

Not only would he dominate attackers he even out showboated them at times with a trick or two to leave them fuming and humiliated. Virtually kept teams at bay on his own a few times for Juventus.

As a defensive player myself he's everything you could possibly want in a player.

Guest tactics truck

For me it is probably Thuram. Pretty much the most complete defender in my lifetime. Athletecism, pace, reads the game, comanding, passing, scored important goals, was absolute World Class at both full back and centre back.

Not only would he dominate attackers he even out showboated them at times with a trick or two to leave them fuming and humiliated. Virtually kept teams at bay on his own a few times for Juventus.

As a defensive player myself he's everything you could possibly want in a player.

I tell you what, that Steve Nicol was a good player wasn't he. I reckon he was probably one of my favourite players of all time

ace on cm 01/02 too

I thought he was better at Parma myself.

Still a bit of a left field choice that. It's a lot easier to destroy than create.

Maradona by a country mile. Virtually singlehandedly won the World Cup, reached another final, won the Italian League. All in an age where cynical vicious tackles were a fair bit more cynical and vicious than they are in these fluffy times.

Ronaldinho may become as good, but he is playing in far better teams than Diego ever did.

Maradona by a country mile. Virtually singlehandedly won the World Cup, reached another final, won the Italian League. All in an age where cynical vicious tackles were a fair bit more cynical and vicious than they are in these fluffy times.

Ronaldinho may become as good, but he is playing in far better teams than Diego ever did.

thats a good point, especially about the cynical tackles. watch his goal against england again, people like Reid and Butcher trying to scythe him down and not even getting close...

too young to have seen maradonna.

Toss up between, Henry, Ronaldinho and Zidane for me.

I bet if Henry and Ronaldinho had swapped countries everyone would be saying Henry and eschewing Ronaldinho

maybe its simpler than that, what if henry played for barca and ronnie didnt...

Always been an admirer of henry though, glad to see the media seems to have caught up and place him alongside the barca man in terms of talent, at the expense of the chelskis.

maybe its simpler than that, what if henry played for barca and ronnie didnt...

Always been an admirer of henry though, glad to see the media seems to have caught up and place him alongside the barca man in terms of talent, at the expense of the chelskis.

He's unbelievable. One season just in the league he got 28 goals and 20 assists. All time great for me but i'm young (24)

He's unbelievable. One season just in the league he got 28 goals and 20 assists. All time great for me but i'm young (24)

Henry's a great player, but I don't think he'll ever get the acclaim of Maradona or to a lesser extent Ronaldinho. Henry's an athlete and some of his success comes through pace, whereas Maradona was a short podgy bloke, so with him it was just pure skill. Ronaldinho benefits in this way by being extremely ugly.

Pele was shite.

On his gravestone is will say:

"Here lies Pele, almost scored from the halfway line, almost scored a goal when he dummied it and did the keeper, scored billions against part-timers in Brazil, talked bollock, couldn't get it up....erm, loving husband and father"

Possibly.

too young to have seen maradonna.

Toss up between, Henry, Ronaldinho and Zidane for me.

I bet if Henry and Ronaldinho had swapped countries everyone would be saying Henry and eschewing Ronaldinho

I agree with that - those three are the best i've had the pleasure to watch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of those I have seen since I can remember which is about 1987.

Best Strikers - Van Basten, Ronaldo, Henry

Best Midfielders - Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldhino

Best Defenders - Maldino, Baresi, Hansen

Best Keeper - Schmeical, Southall, Kahn

Best Captains: Keane, Maldini, Mattheus

Good FF thread shocker!!!

I'm in agreement about the four big talents mentioned so far: Maradona, Ronaldinho, Zidane and Henry. Digger, Van Basten and Gullit were all quality too. However, I can't let this discussion go without throwing Kenny into the mix. I've lost count of the number of things I saw him do that were literally breath-taking. He was a genius, in my opinion.