You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Black players and England

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Sven going to be forced to field 5 black players in every squad from now on? It's not South Africa FFS.

It wasn't a racist issue until the hysteria from the likes of Ferdinand turned into one. He said he would have a few black players in his team which is his perogative but then it wasn't his DVD was it? Does he really think the produders weighed up two players and thought "we'll leave him out cause he's black"?

Had to laugh at the BBC website where the story was and it had a list of the names that hadn't been included. There was Cole, Cambell and Ferdinand from the current squad and then there was Paul Ince and Viv Anderson LMAO

Is Sven going to be forced to field 5 black players in every squad from now on? It's not South Africa FFS.

It wasn't a racist issue until the hysteria from the likes of Ferdinand turned into one. He said he would have a few black players in his team which is his perogative but then it wasn't his DVD was it? Does he really think the produders weighed up two players and thought "we'll leave him out cause he's black"?

Had to laugh at the BBC website where the story was and it had a list of the names that hadn't been included. There was Cole, Cambell and Ferdinand from the current squad and then there was Paul Ince and Viv Anderson LMAO

It's to do with the fact that if you're looking at historic contributions over the last 40 years then you have to pick something representative and in my mind being the first black england player or captain is extremely historic.

It wasn't just a list of the top 20 players. I hope this point doesn't get (conveniently) ignored again as i heard it being done repeatedly on the radio.

It's to do with the fact that if you're looking at historic contributions over the last 40 years then you have to pick something representative and in my mind being the first black england player or captain is extremely historic.

It wasn't just a list of the top 20 players. I hope this point doesn't get (conveniently) ignored again as i heard it being done repeatedly on the radio.

That's fair enough but when you get Rio Ferdinand weighing in with his size 10s talking bollocks then it annoys you.

This is what the link to BBC says on the top:

"The Football Association has apologised after a DVD celebrating the best post-war England internationals failed to feature any black players."

The only word describing the project there is "best", not historic or anything else. The FA's press release didn't say anything about what the DVD was supposed to be, so who knows?

le saux must be in there somewhere

Nah, that was always just a wind up. He's got a wife and kids.

Tell you who should have been included in the list. Sol Campbell. He's a gay and he's black. He would have fitted into the new PC criteria perfectly. Two birds, one stone.

The worlds going mad. I can only really think of John Barnes who's been been a great English black player.

Surely black people would be insulted if black players were included just to keep things equal? I don't see why the first black player to do this or that is such a big deal. Likewise I don't understand the fuss thats made when a black person becomes the first to do x, y or z. In a way, people making a fuss over this kind of thing are just contributing to racism, obviously not intentionally but by covering the fact that someone with a different colour skin has achieved something is a bit patronising and unneccesary. You don't hear people saying so and so is the first ginger haired person to win this competition do you? Mind, thats because ginners aren't winners, but you get my point.

"being the first black england player or captain is extremely historic."

Why? Who gives a fuck? Does it matter? Does it fuck.

Can't be arsed getting in to the whole DVD thing as I'll be here all day on just how fucking pathetic it all is.

When are the White Music Awards on Tele by the way? Oh, they're not!... wonder why. Only works one way doesn't it?

My mate has a DVD called "The Twentieth Century's greatest black boxers".

Nobody I know clamoured for a white man to be included. Read in to that what you will - Racist cunts.

I fucking hate positive racism even more than your bog-standard racism. Kiss my arse.

i'm with you all the way tom, this is an argument i get caught up in all the time bein in the new PC-british army, i mean what the fuck are them MOBO awards on? i think a mention of MOWO awards would start paper talk of a nazi re-invention! an i have to stop now or i'll end up ranting about the gay pride weekend as well.

i'm with you all the way tom, this is an argument i get caught up in all the time bein in the new PC-british army, i mean what the fuck are them MOBO awards on? i think a mention of MOWO awards would start paper talk of a nazi re-invention! an i have to stop now or i'll end up ranting about the gay pride weekend as well.

What, you mean you;re not coming along to Bog-standard-non-proud-Hetro-Pride Carnival 2005??

Wouldn't miss it for the world myself like.

I actually ended up shouting at a bouncer on Canal Street cos he wouldn't let us into a bar because we were straight.

"What the fuck does that matter....anyway how do you know, I might get in there and see something I like, someone might turn me....if I let someone bum me can I go in and get a beer?"