You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Stepping down at the end of the season

dandyman

13 minutes ago, Planet Origi said:

I think the debacle of last summer's transfer window took a lot out of him and was the final straw, as he's clearly not looking forward to another preseason 

I heard the turning point was the Hamas music festival attack. 

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Wish he had made it public at the end of the season. Its definitely a risk.

Negged for not reading his interview properly. 

• Upvote 1

I've gone through the whole range of emotions since the announcement yesterday, sad, acceptance, cathartic, optimistic and excited for what comes next, relaxed... Now I'm back feeling a bit gutted.

I can't help feeling there's something more behind this. I don't think Klopp would have gone back on a contract that he had signed up to without a justifiable reason. Yes I get that he is probably knackered after last season but at the same time the way this season is going I would think he would have been lifted somewhat.

So my thought process is along the lines that the club have maybe said due to this FFP thing and last season's revenue loss maybe the upcoming contract renewals for ageing high earning key players arent going ahead and maybe theyre planning to take out an ad in the jeddah gazette and want a convenient cash in before replacing with new younger cheaper versions? A phase 2 of last summer.

Or maybe there's something behind the scenes with the city charges and there's been a intervention from the top to make it go away and FSG want to jump ship and go balls deep into the super league and want his support?

The Amazon documentary news last week seems timely. Not saying the club would go ahead against klopps wishes but seems strange timing that something was in the news last week.

Dunno, I'm hoping there's nothing sinister and what we know is the honest story.

Obviously would love to get Xabi in next. I think he's got enough credit in the bank to get a few season's grace if things take a while.  Failing that Tuchel and Emery would fit with us as alternatives. Also think the Bournemouth manager is doing great things.

Onwards and upwards as they say

19 minutes ago, Augustus Beeby said:

I've gone through the whole range of emotions since the announcement yesterday, sad, acceptance, cathartic, optimistic and excited for what comes next, relaxed... Now I'm back feeling a bit gutted.

I can't help feeling there's something more behind this. I don't think Klopp would have gone back on a contract that he had signed up to without a justifiable reason. Yes I get that he is probably knackered after last season but at the same time the way this season is going I would think he would have been lifted somewhat.

So my thought process is along the lines that the club have maybe said due to this FFP thing and last season's revenue loss maybe the upcoming contract renewals for ageing high earning key players arent going ahead and maybe theyre planning to take out an ad in the jeddah gazette and want a convenient cash in before replacing with new younger cheaper versions? A phase 2 of last summer.

Or maybe there's something behind the scenes with the city charges and there's been a intervention from the top to make it go away and FSG want to jump ship and go balls deep into the super league and want his support?

The Amazon documentary news last week seems timely. Not saying the club would go ahead against klopps wishes but seems strange timing that something was in the news last week.

Dunno, I'm hoping there's nothing sinister and what we know is the honest story.

Obviously would love to get Xabi in next. I think he's got enough credit in the bank to get a few season's grace if things take a while.  Failing that Tuchel and Emery would fit with us as alternatives. Also think the Bournemouth manager is doing great things.

Your right. FSG forced with out with this amazin shit

Pitchforks

tumblr_p82j12DpAV1vair5to1_500.gif

1 hour ago, Augustus Beeby said:

Of course theres more than meets the eye. Don't be naive as some on here and think that Jurgen is doing it just because he needs a break.

There will be many contributing factors that we may or may not learn thats accelerated his departure. Its probably a combination of shitty refereeing, the state of the game and our ownerships model thats pushed him over the edge. When you get tired of your job, its usually because you are having to put up with constant bullshit thats making it hard for you to do it successfully, in any walk of life and maybe he's just had enough.

1 hour ago, Augustus Beeby said:

He's gone back on contracts at every club he's been. Mainz, Dortmund and here, he has quit when he thought it was over. 

It's really just that simple.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I wonder what it was about the ownership model that surprised him in November that he didn't already discover from the previous 7 years at the club.

There's this weird thing with Klopp where the guy is seen as this superior human being, and rightfully so, the guy is great, but when it comes to taking what he says at face value, or even just looking at his actions, a lot of people still can't do it.

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I wonder what it was about the ownership model that surprised him in November that he didn't already discover from the previous 7 years at the club.

Erm that he hasn't got the energy for working miracles anymore?

You've certainly earned your status as an ownership stooge, no doubt about it. But you know we will soon see how mighty your little heroes are at the top.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's this weird thing with Klopp where the guy is seen as this superior human being, and rightfully so, the guy is great, but when it comes to taking what he says at face value, or even just looking at his actions, a lot of people still can't do it.

Because he's a human being perhaps and we arnt always honest about ourselves perhaps? I mean you think you know about football but thats not always honest is it?

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's gone back on contracts at every club he's been. Mainz, Dortmund and here, he has quit when he thought it was over. 

It's really just that simple.

Nope, its you thats really simple if you believe that. He's told porkies many a time when its suited.

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

Nope, its you thats really simple.

That's your reaction to that very relevant fact? He has departed every club he's managed in the same way, for the same reason, he had a 25 minute video explaining all this. What more do you need?

Is the urge to invent some narrative really that strong? Sad.

Anyway, you've had something happen in your personal life recently, so I won't argue with you further.

16 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Erm that he hasn't got the energy for working miracles anymore?

You've certainly earned your status as an ownership stooge, no doubt about it. But you know we will soon see how mighty your little heroes are at the top.

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT STEEL!!!!!!!!

I think FSG's 'transfer policy' is the main factor in this, did Klopp ask for funds for a new LCB this January and get the usual answer? I can see a scenario where Klopp's thinking we can win the league with one more world class defender, that might have been the straw that broke the camels back, combined with the other factors mentioned above. There has been something not quite right at the club for the last couple of seasons and theres been lots going on in the background, like the fallouts with the medical team and lack of sporting director, all things which make you think all has not been that rosey behind the scenes. I think his reason is probably more or less genuine, but he of course won't mention these other mitigating factors. He has the clubs best of interests at heart and I would not be surprised if he kinda of said to the club listen, now is a good time for me to go, with xabi potentially available and the squad and team as it is, plus he has a great chance to go out on a high. If he stayed out his contract next season might not have been so good and he might have left in a position where the team was not at its best. He'll almost certainly be managing the German national team in 12 months and I can see a scenario in the future after that where he could return, at least I really hope he would consider it! I also think if we win the quadruple or even the league or CL he might reverse his discussion in wolf of wall street fashion.

Didn't he come out this week and say the emergence of Quansah is what stopped them pursuing a CB signing or was that Ljinders?

It's also weird that, unprompted, he set Jose Enrique straight during yesterdays press conference when nobody mentioned him or what he'd said.

It's a strange correction to make for a manager so clearly unhappy who has no need to pander.

6 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

I think FSG's 'transfer policy' is the main factor in this, did Klopp ask for funds for a new LCB this January and get the usual answer? I can see a scenario where Klopp's thinking we can win the league with one more world class defender, that might have been the straw that broke the camels back, combined with the other factors mentioned above. There has been something not quite right at the club for the last couple of seasons and theres been lots going on in the background, like the fallouts with the medical team and lack of sporting director, all things which make you think all has not been that rosey behind the scenes. I think his reason is probably more or less genuine, but he of course won't mention these other mitigating factors. He has the clubs best of interests at heart and I would not be surprised if he kinda of said to the club listen, now is a good time for me to go, with xabi potentially available and the squad and team as it is, plus he has a great chance to go out on a high. If he stayed out his contract next season might not have been so good and he might have left in a position where the team was not at its best. He'll almost certainly be managing the German national team in 12 months and I can see a scenario in the future after that where he could return, at least I really hope he would consider it! I also think if we win the quadruple or even the league or CL he might reverse his discussion in wolf of wall street fashion.

It wouldn't be a surprise that's all. His reason for going is fine and understandable and as you said its the mitigating factors that make him make that decision, that could be a little more sinister.

Maybe he will reveal in a book in several years time, who knows. Its just all a bit strange.

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's your reaction to that very relevant fact? He has departed every club he's managed in the same way, for the same reason, he had a 25 minute video explaining all this. What more do you need?

Is the urge to invent some narrative really that strong? Sad.

Anyway, you've had something happen in your personal life recently, so I won't argue with you further.

He's had his struggles elsewhere too with the modal of each club such as losing his best players at Dortmund.

I dont think there's a narrative to invent, its just rarely as straightforward as you are suggesting when it comes to elite sports and big business. I'm still surprised we've had no comment from the big wigs on his announcement. Again strange.

And i appreciate your last sentence, i take back the simple comment, it was out of order.

Putting aside finances, the big area where Klopp and the majority of managers in England are let down --  is not having the sporting director/owner answer questions about transfers, injuries, contracts etc. They need more support, you can see the genuine disdain when addressing said matters. 

I mean there were several times Klopp was close to lamping the media when the topic of transfers came up. James Pearce might be the only red to be happy Klopp is off. If I had my way Klopp would have had a person to take the majority of questions during the transfer windows. The next one in will need more support especially if he is inexperienced. 

• Upvote 1