You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RIP John Pilger

Anubis

A fantastic campaigner for justice for all sorts of people who have suffers at the hands of officialdom, and a journalist who was never afraid to ask the right questions.

RIP, John. You’ll be missed.

image.png

Posted this on the FF but thought it worth posting here for those of you who just come for the GF arguments!

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Great article, Kepler. Made me really angry for what those families went through. 

I’m slowly working my way through the book by Mike Carden, Liverpool Dockers. He passed away not long after he finished it.

He’d kept meticulous records of meetings, newspapers and MDHC press and corporate releases. 

There’s a great bit of typical humour when he writes that one of the pens was nicknamed “the Kremlin”. 

You need a bit of that. 

John Pilger’s article is quoted and referenced in the book. 

IMG_2536.jpeg

• Upvote 1

One of the few owed so much by the many. Who will stand against the war mongers now? I’ve followed Pilger for many many years and I’m fucking gutted by this. His support of Assange in the face of adversity was heroic. His documentaries simply outstanding. Just the other day I rewatched ‘Palestine is still the issue’ from over 20 yrs ago, if I’m not mistaken. Still gut wrenching but somehow hopeful with it’s focus on the heroes of the streets.

Dark times coming.

The documentary that always gets me is the displacement of the Chagos Islanders so we could rent them to the US military as a holiday destination. An absolute stain on our recent history, and one shamefully largely ignored by our media.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The documentary that always gets me is the displacement of the Chagos Islanders so we could rent them to the US military as a holiday destination. An absolute stain on our recent history, and one shamefully largely ignored by our media.

one I can never forget

Like The Rolling Stones, I really liked the early work.  The later, not so much...

For years I always held him up as a paragon of great journalism - causing discomfort and frustration by shaking the tree.

But then, more recently, I saw him on the side of Russia.

I haven't read this yet, but it may be of interest.  I'll read it and evaluate if it's the chickens home to roost, or a hatchet job by the establishment:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, razor said:

Like The Rolling Stones, I really liked the early work.  The later, not so much...

For years I always held him up as a paragon of great journalism - causing discomfort and frustration by shaking the tree.

I haven't read this yet, but it may be of interest.  I'll read it and evaluate if it's the chickens home to roost, or a hatchet job by the establishment:

My suspicion is that he was not 'on the side of' Russia but merely pointed out the hypocrisy of the West and it's support of Ukranian Fascists?

12 hours ago, razor said:

I knew exactly who repped this without looking.

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

My suspicion is that he was not 'on the side of' Russia but merely pointed out the hypocrisy of the West and it's support of Ukranian Fascists?

You wouldn't be too far from the mark there. He did veer towards the conspiratorial over the last number of years, I would think that much is true. But how many "conspiracies" have grounding in reality? I would suggest quite a few. Only need to look at Wikileaks for evidence.