You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RIP John Pilger

Anubis

19 hours ago, razor said:

Like The Rolling Stones, I really liked the early work.  The later, not so much...

For years I always held him up as a paragon of great journalism - causing discomfort and frustration by shaking the tree.

But then, more recently, I saw him on the side of Russia.

I haven't read this yet, but it may be of interest.  I'll read it and evaluate if it's the chickens home to roost, or a hatchet job by the establishment:

I've read it. Title is a bit misleading. I did not know about the Thailand episode. Don't know what the usual period for do not speak ill about the dead applies here. 

11 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Oliver Kamm is a Murdoch shill. 

I don't know him at all.  Where did you get that info, Kep?  Ta.

As I mentioned earlier, Pilger was a bit of a hero to me when I was at Uni.  He was a voice for those without one.  I loved his work on the plight of Palestine, especially.

In later years I was baffled by him and thought he may have had some kind of breakdown.  I think it may have been around the time of the Arab Spring.

And then there was the Lockdown / Vaccine stuff more recently.

I was glad it wasn't just me who felt that way.  I am not aligning myself with Oliver Kam, who as I say, I haven't heard of before, but was glad others noticed it, too.

• Upvote 1

Ha!  He's writing on behalf of the Centre for Policy Studies there, which doesn't help Kamm's cause.  To say the least.

For me, Pilger's later pronouncements is like Morrissey turning into an arse.  I still love The Smiths, but you worry about some of the things that you used to love.

I don't like the re-evaluation of Pilger's ENTIRE career, especially when it's coming from a place I don't trust.  CPS isn't exactly neutral.  Any chance of a Tufton Street expose, lads...?  Like a self-review?

2 minutes ago, razor said:

I don't know him at all.  Where did you get that info, Kep?  Ta.

As I mentioned earlier, Pilger was a bit of a hero to me when I was at Uni.  He was a voice for those without one.  I loved his work on the plight of Palestine, especially.

In later years I was baffled by him and thought he may have had some kind of breakdown.  I think it may have been around the time of the Arab Spring.

And then there was the Lockdown / Vaccine stuff more recently.

I was glad it wasn't just me who felt that way.  I am not aligning myself with Oliver Kam, who as I say, I haven't heard of before, but was glad others noticed it, too.

He’s a Times columnist and author, and the news site he’s had the Pilger piece published in is CapX which is funded by the Centre for Policy Studies, the premier right wing think tank founded by Thatcher and Keith Joseph. 

One of its editors was on Politics Live late last year and was blaming teachers’ strikes for poor education outcomes and falling attendances.

No mention of academies, declining funding and austerity hitting other vital support services and the general

decline in living standards since 2008/10. She also wrote a piece saying we need another Thatcher. 

As for Pilger, I remember he had a column in the Mirror for a time, but it didn’t last long. He was a thorn in the side of our establishment for the whole of his career including, his support for Assange of late. 

I

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, razor said:

Ha!  He's writing on behalf of the Centre for Policy Studies there, which doesn't help Kamm's cause.  To say the least.

For me, Pilger's later pronouncements is like Morrissey turning into an arse.  I still love The Smiths, but you worry about some of the things that you used to love.

I don't like the re-evaluation of Pilger's ENTIRE career, especially when it's coming from a place I don't trust.  CPS isn't exactly neutral.  Any chance of a Tufton Street expose, lads...?  Like a self-review?

If you like a bit of British media analysis find Mic Wright’s account on SubStack called Conquest of the Useless. 

I hate Kate Andrews and all those think tank cunts! 

6 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

If you like a bit of British media analysis find Mic Wright’s account on SubStack called Conquest of the Useless. 

I hate Kate Andrews and all those think tank cunts! 

BrokenBottleBoy?  I follow him on Twitter.  I know he had an on-going argument with that idiot Matt Goodwin.  I should spend more time looking at his stuff, but I find myself less interested in getting sucked into things that generally make me angry.  I know how stacked the deck is, and I know the futility of exploring it as it just makes me frustrated!

That's half of my issue with Pilger - even the people you used to depend upon end up letting the side down.

But I am in agreement that there is far more deserving targets for a hit piece than Pilger.

10 minutes ago, razor said:

BrokenBottleBoy?  I follow him on Twitter.  I know he had an on-going argument with that idiot Matt Goodwin.  I should spend more time looking at his stuff, but I find myself less interested in getting sucked into things that generally make me angry.  I know how stacked the deck is, and I know the futility of exploring it as it just makes me frustrated!

That's half of my issue with Pilger - even the people you used to depend upon end up letting the side down.

But I am in agreement that there is far more deserving targets for a hit piece than Pilger.

Yeah that’s him. Think he’s locked out of his Twitter atm. One of the best things that’s happened is Musk buying it and reformatting it as my use of it has dropped massively. 

Deffo too much out there that makes us angry, going to be a long ride in to the GE and the Presidential what with everything else going on. 

• Upvote 1