You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Films You Would Love to Watch for the First Time Again.

skend04

Was listening to the radio on the way to or from work the other day and this was the call-in question, so I can't take credit for such a great subject. 

I'll start and for me it's The Matrix. Went into the cinema with no idea of what to expect and 2 and a bit hours later I'm walking out with my head full of false expectations of what I could do if I learned Kung Fu whilst listening to a Prodigy set in a club full of goths dressed in leather. You don't get loads of films that become templates for the following generation of movies but this is one.

Now I hand it over to you chumps, if you could go back and watch a movie for the first time again, which would it be 

• Upvote 3

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I had no idea it was about the Sharon Tate murder being a young pup of 36 and not having read anything about the film. It was so much better watching it the second time but it was on telly. 

Inception and Dunkirk as well. Blew me away in the pictures both of them, the type of films where I realised I hadn’t blinked in about an hour towards the end. 

Inception and Memento.

Also, Rocky 3- watched it when I was at school with a few mates. One of them and I squared off afterwards, being over-excited- and I battered him. Wish I had that energy these days...

Life of Brian and National Lampoon's Animal House- watched them while at school as well as a double bill and have never laughed so much in my life.

37 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Life of Brian

Thats a great shout. Never laughed so much.

Be nice to see it without the protestors trying to convince me not to go in 

They did the same for The Exorcist/The Devils and many otther films around that time.

El Condor for me, saw it at the Gaumont and got my first view of fully naked lady. Nice hairy muff, think i went off like a 10 bob rocket.(think only arl arses will understand the cost)

• Upvote 1

The Matrix is a great shout. It still stands up really well even now, despite the creators ruining the story with the overblown sequels. Hard to believe it was released in the 90s. I remember seeing this and Stars Wars Episode I in a very short space of time. The latter had received a mountain of hype and was underwhelming anyway, whereas The Matrix was a genuine cinematic experience, worthy of the praise soon lavished upon it. I didn't see Jurassic Park in the cinema first time but I imagine that was a mindblowing experience too.

Pulp fiction would have to be a contender for me, I watched it at a mates house at about 13 and fell asleep and came too several times and was generally really confused at what the fuck was going on. There are loads of contenders from the golden age of early/mid 90s though

5 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Thats a great shout. Never laughed so much.

Be nice to see it without the protestors trying to convince me not to go in 

They did the same for The Exorcist/The Devils and many otther films around that time.

El Condor for me, saw it at the Gaumont and got my first view of fully naked lady. Nice hairy muff, think i went off like a 10 bob rocket.(think only arl arses will understand the cost)

The Exorcist is a good one as well. I first saw it in '87, the university film society showed it in the main hall. The Catholic and various other religious societies were handing out pamphlets offering counseling afterwards, which was a bit disconcerting considering its reputation (it'd been banned on video and was the subject of a lot of mythologising at school about how horrific and scary it was). In the event, it was absolutely electrifying, about 10% of the audience left before the end as they couldn't handle it and most of the rest of us were petrified, I'd never seen anything like it and didn't sleep very well that night. I saw it again when it got re-released in the late '90s and it seemed more of a psychological thriller than an outright horror, and when they showed it on TV a few years later it had lost a lot of its power. Seeing it again for the first time in a full cinema would be great.

Oh, and they had Exorcist 2 on straight afterwards, which was so ridiculous it broke all the tension and was almost like light relief.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Top Gun - Maverick in the pictures. Absolutely loved it. 

That scene where he does the trial run of the mission himself was great in the pictures. 

Literally everyone in the audience gasped and were in total silence until one of the pilots watching says "damn". 

• Upvote 1

Predator

Interstellar 

Superman 2

Ghostbusters 

Speed

Watched Rocky 4 on the pictures when it came out and it was great. Went a few weeks back to watch it again on the big screen.

Although it was the new version it was good but was looking forward to the exploding boxing gloves to Eye of the Tiger as it always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up but the new version doesn't have it in. 

• Upvote 1