You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Phenomenon: Ronaldo

Lario

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

I have this set to record. 

I remember reading once the percentage of his goals when he rounded the keeper, it was outrageous. In and 30% if memory serves me right. 

Really looking forward to this

He's on record as saying that it was easier to go round the keeper most times than knock it past him, which he was quite adept at in fairness. 

1 hour ago, niallers said:

He's on record as saying that it was easier to go round the keeper most times than knock it past him, which he was quite adept at in fairness. 

That the thing, easy for him. 

That's another great clip of the French national team training before the world cup final in 98. The coach is downplaying Ronaldo to desailly and Frank de bouf, saying something along the lines of "everytime he does a step over, he fired right, so easy to stop" 

The coach fucks off and desailly then goes on to say he played against Ronaldo recently and when he did his stepovers he had no fucking idea where the ball went.... It was really funny actually

• Upvote 1

Really looking forward to this.  Hopefully all the footage is spruced up so we can see shit properly!

Also hoping it reignites his legacy and Nike start selling a load of R9 gear (like Jordan and The Last Dance). That would really annoy the rapey one.

Raging that I missed the first half of this. Only started watching around the time of the second injury with Inter. Never realised how bad his knee was and how gruelling his rehab was.

Cuper lost them a league by not playing him earlier that 2001/02 season. Definitely some bad Argentina v Brazil vibes about the whole thing. 

Big Phil came across well as always. 

Fair fucks to him for coming back and winning a World Cup for Brazil. Amazing footballer and about time his name was reclaimed from the preening egotist.

Watched it last night. Thought it was OK but didn't learn anything really new. He was a brilliant player, such a shame that his knees just couldn't hold up. Should have been the what Pele,Cruyff and Maradona were to the 60/70/80. 

I'd live to know what happened between Nike and the Brazilian FA that evening though. They deffo pushed for him to play. Wonder if that happens though if its Romario and not Edmundo on the bench. 

Really good show. You forget what a player he was because of his injuries. 

I knew the rumours / open secret about him having a fit in 1998, is this the first times it’s been confirmed / he openly talks about it? 

Unfortunately the show ends before what I thought was his greatest moment - scoring a hat trick at Old Trafford and dumping the mancs out the CL.

20 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I'd live to know what happened between Nike and the Brazilian FA that evening though. They deffo pushed for him to play. Wonder if that happens though if its Romario and not Edmundo on the bench. 

He was very clear it was his decision to

play.

If he’d have dropped dead during the match, I don’t know how anybody involved could have lived with themselves.

21 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

He was very clear it was his decision to

play.

If he’d have dropped dead during the match, I don’t know how anybody involved could have lived with themselves.

Of course he wanted to play. He shouldn't have been allowed to though. And I wonder what influence the Brazilian FA and Nike used to get him cleared. 

On 16/11/2022 at 18:13, Juniper said:

Watched this last night, really enjoyed it. Absolutely loved him back in the day 

Though it was a shame it didn’t cover his career, post 2002 World Cup. 

Yeah same, arguably his performances for Madrid were on a par, and his move to AC Milan was interesting as he had played for Inter before, and then he did his knee again, before making another comeback. 

I ruptured my patellar tendon like he did playing footy, kneecap in my thigh, was a weird injury to experience.