You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LOTR: The Rings of Power

Sugar Ape

4 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

They've already shown a version of Annatar in the trailers (angry emo elf) i think but whether they'll have different versions as the series progresses Don't know.

S1_EpisodicStill_RPAZ_S1_FG_00081611_Sti

I don't think that's supposed to be Annatar/Sauron? I think it's more likely that some folk see this creepy looking dude in the trailer and automatically assume it's Sauron. He's probably a baddie, but not the big baddie.

3 hours ago, Olddantucker said:

Does it pick up the pace?  Episode One was fairly tedious, I thought. Is it worth hanging in there?

Only two episodes so far. Best waiting until there's more. It's no nailbiter so far.

7 hours ago, Olddantucker said:

Does it pick up the pace?  Episode One was fairly tedious, I thought. Is it worth hanging in there?

It's a lot of scene setting and introducing characters at the moment. Should pick up once it gets into the meat of the plot. 

Haven’t watched this but I’m seeing another series complaining of racism when the poor writings being criticised. 

see female ghostbusters, obi wan, etc

The creators of The Boys are doing similar with the girl who plays starlight. The writing for the character in the last season has been getting a lot of online flak and they’ve manipulated this into sexism and the actress’ plastic surgery.

9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Haven’t watched this but I’m seeing another series complaining of racism when the poor writings being criticised. 

see female ghostbusters, obi wan, etc

The creators of The Boys are doing similar with the girl who plays starlight. The writing for the character in the last season has been getting a lot of online flak and they’ve manipulated this into sexism and the actress’ plastic surgery.

This is nothing like the Feige Ghostbusters film.

This is people (often beared middle aged males with funko pops in the background of videos) angry because some of the dwarves or harfoots (hobbits) are black in a made up story about made up species.

Occasionally they're angry because a made up female character is a good warrior despite being described as such well before we made up 'woke culture'.

(Did the actress who played starlight have surgery, I thought she'd lost an enormous amount of weight between series 3 and 4 to the point where she looked really gaunt.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

This is people (often beared middle aged males with funko pops in the background of videos) angry because some of the dwarves or harfoots (hobbits) are black in a made up story about made up species.

Made up? Get to fuck.

34 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Occasionally they're angry because a made up female character is a good warrior despite being described as such well before we made up 'woke culture'.

(Did the actress who played starlight have surgery, I thought she'd lost an enormous amount of weight between series 3 and 4 to the point where she looked really gaunt.

I couldn’t put my finger on what was so different about her in the last series as she seemed to be underused quite a bit and didn’t look right but it’s turned out she had work done on her face before they started filming. 

A lot of people have been wondering if she was ok rather than attacking her.

However, the majority of the fan base have been giving the writers grief for turning her into a pointless character and the 3rd series being a mess so out of the blue this blogs turned up defecting this onto the poor girl who didn’t seem to be aware of it till now. 

I haven’t seen any racism towards LOTR nor the others on social media other than the creators responding to criticism and calling it racism. 

Episode 3 felt more like a TV episode than the others, which is odd I know cause that's exactly what it is. The others felt more cinematic.

I enjoyed it because I like being immersed in that world, but yes I can see why people would think the third episode dragged on. Aside from introducing a few more characters, not a lot happened. 

Pacing seems fine, to me. A lot of characters have been introduced, with backstories, at the same time as establishing multiple plot-lines. Three episodes to do all that seems fair, and it's not like there hasn't been any action at all.

I'd imagine things will start to ramp up a bit now. Hoping they don't spend ages on the sea voyage, though, coz that will start to grate if they drag it out.

Elrond looks like Martin Clunes and Galdriel has just walked in from a shift behind the counter at Boots . Hugo Weaving and Cate Blanchett were brilliant in their roles . This lot aren’t . The dialogue is appalling and that’s being kind . My expectations were low that this capture some of the magic but I reckon Tolkien is doing somersaults in his grave right now.

I think part of the issue is the cast are all so bland and forgettable.

You could have the best scripts in the world but if some wooden mannequins are delivering them, it loses all impact.

These stiffs are as far away from Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee, Viggo Mortensen, John Rhys-Davies, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving etc as possible.

Hell, even Orlando Bloom & Sean Bean would be a significant improvement at this stage.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

E3 was a bit of a borefest. It was like one of the later GoT 'piece placing' episodes. 

MrsD and I were both bored shitless by the end. 

Agreed. GOT episodes were still entertaining - good actors passionately delivering engaging scripts & monologues.

Simon Green would be the best actor in this LOTR series.

Somebody in this thread mentioned that Halbrand might be a guise for Sauron. Didn't think much of that before but after watching episode 3 there might be something in that. Sauron is known as the deceiver, it's possible he's manipulating Galadriel in taking him to the Southlands, which he'll eventually turn into Mordor. Why he needs Galadriel to do this though, I'm not sure.

9 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Somebody in this thread mentioned that Halbrand might be a guise for Sauron. Didn't think much of that before but after watching episode 3 there might be something in that. Sauron is known as the deceiver, it's possible he's manipulating Galadriel in taking him to the Southlands, which he'll eventually turn into Mordor. Why he needs Galadriel to do this though, I'm not sure.

If the back story doesn’t unfold I’ll be pissed off. ‘The Silmarillion’ is an incredibly rich tapestry leading us to LTOR

4 hours ago, Red Shift said:

If the back story doesn’t unfold I’ll be pissed off. ‘The Silmarillion’ is an incredibly rich tapestry leading us to LTOR

Welcome to the fabled land of Dyslexia.