You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

15 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Villa fans are utter cunts. Ideas above their status. They’re shite and should expect to be shite. Gerrard hasn’t even been there 12 months and Villa fans probably think they should be pushing for top six.

Gerrard didn’t have the best of starts at Rangers but he finally got that monkey off their backs with a first SPL since their administration, and stopped Rangers fans nightmare of Celtic doing ten in a row in the process. 

Wasn’t there an idiot on here calling for Klopp to go when Spurs beat us 4-0 when they were playing at Wembley? 

I agree Villa look poor, but they’ve mostly got poor players. Sacking Gerrard now would be idiotic in my opinion, but boards tend to get rid of managers once the crowd start to turn. I reckon whoever took over though would struggle to get much better out of that group of players.   

Young mangers make mistakes 

It's tales a brave owner to stand by them 

You can count on 1 hand the number of young managers who made it at a big club here over the last 30 years or so (kenny?)

Be interesting too see what happens with arteta he was under massive pressure this time last year.

6 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Some people seem to be taking great delight in one of our greatest ever players struggling as a young manager

Disagree. At least from my perspective it was always a terrible move to make from a career standpoint and almost the definition of a thankless task for a manager, let alone one who has a big name but is otherwise relatively unproven.

He needed to build something somewhere with low expectations and advance from there, but this Villa debacle has instead probably ended his chances of managing a truly elite club.

You need an aura to be a top-tier manager, and a high-profile failure in the modern game is difficult to come back from unless you’ve got an awful lot of success behind you.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Disagree. At least from my perspective it was always a terrible move to make from a career perspective and almost the definition of a thankless task for a manager, let alone one who has a big name but is otherwise relatively unproven.

He needed to build something at a club with relatively low expectations and advance from there, but this Villa debacle has instead probably ended his chances of managing a truly elite club.

You need an aura to be a top-tier manager, and a high-profile failure in the modern game is difficult to come back from unless you’ve got an awful lot of success behind you.

You feeling okay, mate?

Not like you to be so pessimistic, DM me if I can help.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, No2 said:

I think he may be suited to La Liga or Seria A. It's mad that the manager he seemed to have the least time for is the one with the biggest influence. His football is dire, 1 nil football. He's probably even more Jose than Rafa.

Nah, the language barrier would be a problem, wouldn’t it.

5 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Disagree. At least from my perspective it was always a terrible move to make from a career standpoint and almost the definition of a thankless task for a manager, let alone one who has a big name but is otherwise relatively unproven.

He needed to build something somewhere with low expectations and advance from there, but this Villa debacle has instead probably ended his chances of managing a truly elite club.

I'm mostly with you. Except he's not finished at villa yet. Part of being a young manager (in fact it never stops) is learning to react to adversity. The only question at the minute is how much time will purslow give him. Their dickhead fans have been after him since about march, so it means the pressure is right on purslow now. Gerrard needs a big reaction and that's going to be tough with the next 2 games they have - and what I've seen of them so far, it they don't look like they know how to craft a goal. But Gerrard knows as much as anyone, there's nothing better in football than facing a confident arsenal. 

Think the Carlos injury threw all their plans up in the air this season. Totally fucked him with the Mings ordeal (Mings whinging on social media can hardly have helped put him back in the good books). He gets the Ings/Watkins call right (Ings clearly the better player), but a lot of the fans seem to disagree on that too. Coutinho hasn't turned up and should be dropped for Buendia (or go 5-4-1 or something to try and get both in the side). Has a hard-working midfield, but I guess there must be a risk of Ramsey burning out as they are managing his time.

Worst of all is that there isn't a clear plan, there needs to be something other than hoping Digne finds the perfect cross or expecting Coutinho to run the show on his own.

Purslow hasn't exactly set them up with a well-rounded squad (the drop off from the first 11 is STEEP), but there is talent there. Shame some of it is in Bailey, who must be the worst trainer of all time considering how multiple managers don't trust him at all.

56 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

There's a few rumours that Villa want Graham Potter to come in and replace Gerrard.

It would probably be an excellent move for Villa, but I think Potter would be foolish to take it at this point. While I suspect he’ll want to avoid sticking around at Brighton until inertia sets in, as of this moment I reckon he’d be among the contenders for any top six job that happened to arise between now and the beginning of next season.

There's always been something a bit 'off' about Villa. Yes, a big club historically, undeniably, but one that seems to have had farce sewn into the inside of its jacket pocket, like a hidden insult embroidered by an embittered tailor. In the mid-Sixties, the woeful 'comedy' double act, Mike and Bernie Winters, tried to buy the club, only to be beaten by the shy and retiring Doug Ellis. They've always had a sort of 'Dutch' inclination to internal disharmony, the club most likely to be looking to start arguments in empty rooms. It's a gloomy club in a gloomy place. Even when they've won stuff they've done so with a lugubriousness that would make a Yorkshireman seem cheerful. It was surely inevitable that one of their best periods would be overseen by a Bluenose, Ron Saunders, who had a positively vampiric ability to suck the joy out of any and every triumph. The ever-frowning Gerrard's always had a certain saturnine quality about him, and that must have ticked the right box to lure him to the club, but he's probably best out of it before it scars him too deeply.

18 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

There's always been something a bit 'off' about Villa. Yes, a big club historically, undeniably, but one that seems to have had farce sewn into the inside of its jacket pocket, like a hidden insult embroidered by an embittered tailor. In the mid-Sixties, the woeful 'comedy' double act, Mike and Bernie Winters, tried to buy the club, only to be beaten by the shy and retiring Doug Ellis. They've always had a sort of 'Dutch' inclination to internal disharmony, the club most likely to be looking to start arguments in empty rooms. It's a gloomy club in a gloomy place. Even when they've won stuff they've done so with a lugubriousness that would make a Yorkshireman seem cheerful. It was surely inevitable that one of their best periods would be overseen by a Bluenose, Ron Saunders, who had a positively vampiric ability to suck the joy out of any and every triumph. The ever-frowning Gerrard's always had a certain saturnine quality about him, and that must have ticked the right box to lure him to the club, but he's probably best out of it before it scars him too deeply.

Yet Tony Barton was in charge for their greatest feat ever.

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

Agree with that. 

Did Ron Saunders take pleasure when they won the League? And then he fell out with the board......

As a kid, I thought that the Ipswich Ipswich team were better, but were in every competition deep into the season, and ran out of legs. 

13 hours ago, Elite said:

He's definitely going to get sacked.

I think there's a decent manager in there somewhere but obviously not the right fit at Villa. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens this week..they've got city next. I never quite understand why teams sack managers when they've had two or three top sides when they're a bottom, mid table type of team, but they always seem to do it. If they can ride it out with him, he has a chance..but I do think he's fucked there now.