You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Norwich (A) - Sat 14th Aug 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Stop trying to silence me from expressing my opinion about moaning fucks. This is a forum.

Stop trying to silence me from moaning about moaning fucks complaining about other moaning fucks with different opinions, you moaning fuck. This is a forum.

southpark-cartman.gif

• Upvote 1

1 out of 1, job done.

The boys looked remarkably sharp for the first game of the season, especially our forwards.

Great to see Big Virg (and his new teeth), the full 90 minutes into his legs will do him and us the world of good.

Alisson is great isn't he? I wouldn't swap him for any other goalie in the world, not one.

Matip is a great footballer, underrated by almost everyone but he fantastic.

Tsimikas played really well. He dipped towards the end (which is to be expected) and he had that one mindfuck moment which deservedly got him a blasting from Milner, but again he's only a young 'un and another who'll greatly benefit from playing in a proper 90 minute game.

Keita played well, the pick of the midfield 3 imo. Solid and effective but it's great seeing him starting to turn out regularly and not picking up frustrating injuries. Touch wood.

A good game for us to start our new campaign with, but 3-0 against anybody, especially away from home, is cause for celebration.

Well done Reds. Onwards...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Ah, here we go. The subs bench aint strong enough, they're the wrong subs anyway. The back up left back isnt good enough. The midfield is awful, ad nauseam. Im done with the same old moaners every season, every fucking game. Crack on!

A good opening day performance by the boys against the Championship winners in front of their own crowd. 3 goals and a clean sheet, how good is that?

Virgil came through his first full game back and looked solid with Matip at the back. Tsimikas had a very good game, a couple of ropey moments and he was unlucky not to score with a sweet drive that Krul managed to smother. He put in some very good corners as well.

Ox did well in the Wijnaldum role. Nothing spectacular, just the same as Gini did. Keita, no doubt he'll be panned by many but again, I didnt think he had a bad game. Does need to impose himself on games and make things happen though.

Why is it every fucking goal we score is analysed to death? Pukki is having a laugh if he thinks turning and running into van Dijk like that is a foul. There was still plenty of time for Norwich to intercept the ball never mind Liverpool moving it from one end of the field to the other. Might be a fortunate touch by Mo put the ball into space but even so  Jota pounced in the box to drive it past Krul for the opener. No tippy tappy there, thank goodness.

Joel had a good chance to double the score from an angle when the ball broke to him with Krul spralling on the ground but a Norwich defender managed to block the ball and save Krul's blushes.

While the boys might not have had the game by the scruff of the neck, they looked comfortable and Norwich didnt really create anything of note. Marriner was getting on my tits giving Cantwell a free kick every time he went down and looked doe eyed at him. I reckon this lad will be Grealish mark 2 for getting free kicks for fuck all.

Jurgen brought on Fab and Bobby just after the hour to make a mockery of claims about the subs bench and lack of game changers.

Goal number 2 started in our own box with a ball out by Tsimikas. A break down the left and a ball back across the box gave Bobby an opportunity to beat Krul to make it 2-0. He did and we got to see Bobby's smile again. Mo finished off the scoring with a fierce left foot drive from the edge of the box off a Tsimikas corner that gave Krul no chance.

Harvey Elliott got on for the last 10 minutes or so. He looks a confident lad. Showed some bright touches in his cameo and Im sure Jurgen will use him wisely.

The last 5 to 10 minutes, the boys got a little slack at the back. I dont know if it was tiredness creeping in due to both Matip and van Dijk missing so many games, the fact we were 3-0 up or Norwich throwing everything at us to get a goal back. A mad scramble in the 6 yard box and it looked certain they'd pull one back but a smart save by Alli, a block then managing to palm the ball away maintained the clean sheet.

Im right up for the Burnley game now, cant wait even though it's a 12:30 kick off!

25 minutes ago, m0e said:

I can't believe we have to "rely" on shite like Tsimikas, Oxlade, Keita, Milner, and Elliott, and I demand we buy another left back and 3 new midfielders before the 1st September.

Maybe then we'll be able to win some football games with a bit more conviction.

fucking hell reign it in a bit.

Norwich are awful. they are even weaker than they were two seasons ago. Their best player is a girl prancing about in the middle falling over all the time. We should be beating teams like this 2 or 3-0 as standard.

You can’t play that midfield against anybody else, Keita just coasted through the game and Ox was hardly involved.

We were better in the second half when we sharpened up a bit, no doubt the boss gave them short shrift.

As usual Salah, TAA, Jota were solid. Nice cameo from Firmino who looks like he’s rediscovered his passion again.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

Need the second.  Norwich will realise at half time that they can walk through that midfield with ease.  The Greeks been good going forward but looks like he’s related to Moreno when defending.

Krul was laughably bad for the goal but you’ll take it.

Noticed a few poor clearances but I'm not worried about the times that area of the pitch wasn't covered as that's the job of the midfielder on his side.

With the amount of shite we lost to last season should take no results for granted or any opposition.

You have to be good enough to earn the right to win football matches and winning lots of them is hard.....we did our job reasonably well today and turned in an acceptable performance with the required and desired result.

I personally never want to see that midfield 3 start for us again this season as i think a sharper, better team exploit them and then we have some potential problems - but today they were good enough up against a side who hadn't got enough to really hurt us and were complimented by some decent performances from other areas of the park.

Job done - onto the next one.

48 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

fucking hell reign it in a bit.

Norwich are awful. they are even weaker than they were two seasons ago. Their best player is a girl prancing about in the middle falling over all the time. We should be beating teams like this 2 or 3-0 as standard.

You can’t play that midfield against anybody else, Keita just coasted through the game and Ox was hardly involved.

We were better in the second half when we sharpened up a bit, no doubt the boss gave them short shrift.

As usual Salah, TAA, Jota were solid. Nice cameo from Firmino who looks like he’s rediscovered his passion again.

Ahhh, the old "it's not you, it's me" routine.

32 minutes ago, an tha said:

With the amount of shite we lost to last season should take no results for granted or any opposition.

You have to be good enough to earn the right to win football matches and winning lots of them is hard.....we did our job reasonably well today and turned in an acceptable performance with the required and desired result.

I personally never want to see that midfield 3 start for us again this season as i think a sharper, better team exploit them and then we have some potential problems - but today they were good enough up against a side who hadn't got enough to really hurt us and were complimented by some decent performances from other areas of the park.

Job done - onto the next one.

There is absolutely no way that midfield is balanced.

We were missing a natural 6 in the middle. A position Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago can all play.

Milner was emergency cover, but that's a lot better than Fabinho as emergency cover at centre back.

Oxlade and Keita together with a proper 6, and that will look better.

But with the main 3 back, plus Jones, hopefully we won't see those 2 in the same team again.

Having said that, how many teams can put out a midfield like that with their first 3 options out?

There's even a suggestion Jones would have got a start had he not been concussed, meaning what we saw today is literally our last choice midfield possible.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

But with the main 3 back, plus Jones, hopefully we won't see those 2 in the same team again.

Having said that, how many teams can put out a midfield like that with their first 3 options out?

There's even a suggestion Jones would have got a start had he not been concussed, meaning what we saw today is literally our last choice midfield possible.

This is the truth, and today just showed that we are a lot deeper, at least in midfield, than people think.

Our best three midfielders, I think most would agree, are Henderson, Fabinho, and Thiago. Then the next best is probably Curtis Jones, so today was maybe our 5th, 6th, and 7th-best midfielders out there, and they looked more or less fine.

You could even argue that Elliott is ahead of Ox at this point, assuming we see him as a midfielder, and maybe Milner as well, so it might have been even further down the depth chart than that. I think today makes a powerful case that we are fine in midfield, and could even sell one (Ox?) without missing anything. It's up front where we only have four players for 4 positions before a huge dropoff to Minamino and Origi. That's where we need to strengthen before the end of the window.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

It might "only be Norwich" but they were top of the 3 that come up and the other 2 won this weekend.

Also last time they came up (we won the league that season) they beat City so it's not a gimme 3-0.

Here we go again with the facts getting in the way of feelings.

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This is the truth, and today just showed that we are a lot deeper, at least in midfield, than people think.

Our best three midfielders, I think most would agree, are Henderson, Fabinho, and Thiago. Then the next best is probably Curtis Jones, so today was maybe our 5th, 6th, and 7th-best midfielders out there, and they looked more or less fine.

You could even argue that Elliott is ahead of Ox at this point, assuming we see him as a midfielder, and maybe Milner as well, so it might have been even further down the depth chart than that. I think today makes a powerful case that we are fine in midfield, and could even sell one (Ox?) without missing anything. It's up front where we only have four players for 4 positions before a huge dropoff to Minamino and Origi. That's where we need to strengthen before the end of the window.

100% on the bold bit.

Not sure I'd sell a midfielder though.

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Nah, that time he was caught on the edge of the area he was definitely a bit too casual. The other minor errors were tiredness.

I thought he was looking to see whether to kick the ball out as the Greek left back for. Norwich was down at the time. Ended up getting caught out whilst deciding what to do.

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

1 out of 1, job done.

The boys looked remarkably sharp for the first game of the season, especially our forwards.

Great to see Big Virg (and his new teeth), the full 90 minutes into his legs will do him and us the world of good.

Alisson is great isn't he? I wouldn't swap him for any other goalie in the world, not one.

Matip is a great footballer, underrated by almost everyone but he fantastic.

Tsimikas played really well. He dipped towards the end (which is to be expected) and he had that one mindfuck moment which deservedly got him a blasting from Milner, but again he's only a young 'un and another who'll greatly benefit from playing in a proper 90 minute game.

Keita played well, the pick of the midfield 3 imo. Solid and effective but it's great seeing him starting to turn out regularly and not picking up frustrating injuries. Touch wood.

A good game for us to start our new campaign with, but 3-0 against anybody, especially away from home, is cause for celebration.

Well done Reds. Onwards...

Not sure Matip is underrated - think it is more a case of people are just so frustrated that a clearly very, very good footballer just can't stay fit for 5 minutes.

It is such a shame as we are simply better when he plays.

Just now, an tha said:

Not sure Matip is underrated - think it is more a case of people are just so frustrated that a clearly very, very good footballer just can't stay fit for 5 minutes.

It is such a shame as we are simply better when he plays.

Think he's more underrated by people outside of Liverpool. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, KMD7 said:

Think he's more underrated by people outside of Liverpool. 

Yeah, he definitely is. Very few fans I speak to recognise him as any sort of quality, and generally scoff at the mere suggestion.