You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Norwich (A) - Sat 14th Aug 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

13 minutes ago, Pidge said:

14 fouls vs 4 for those keeping count. They had to literally kick our players' feet from under them for us to get anything.

The ‘light touch’ approach won’t apply to us. In fairness quite a few against us were fouls, but we only have to look at that Poundland Grealish and a free kick was given. There was also a clear Norwich offside that was allowed to run on quite a while.

Still, can’t complain too much about a good away win.

And dopey Alan Smith didn’t spot their centre half virtually catching the ball during that scramble toward the end. No way that gets given if VAR has to step in.

Thd punditry I’m hearing just now is laughable….. ‘not much different between the teams’….. except we could easily have had 6 of 7.

That went pretty much as I envisaged.

We were away from home against a team that had a full house for the first time in about 18 months, so we had to expect that Norwich would look to give it a go. Looking at what has happened in the other games so far, the home crowds have generally lifted the players. We saw much the same ourselves when we had our largest crowds in 18 months for the two friendly games at Anfield last weekend. Look how much of a spring in their step it gave our players.

We never really got out of second gear but every time we stepped it up a notch, we made something happen. We were patient and wore Norwich down. We made light of officiating that rewarded Norwich's players for hitting the deck at every turn (Cantwell especially). Put simply, we did what we had to do, and that is basically what we have done every week for the past 3 years.

Klopp puts great store in his pre-season preparations, and he wants his players to be in tip-top shape. Because some of the players are new to the club (Ib) and others haven't had much of a pre-season (Hendo, Thiago), it makes perfect sense for him to pick the ones who are more up to speed fitness-wise and in terms of understanding his system, even if it means the team isn't the strongest on paper.

Three goals, three points and a clean sheet. Job done and on to next week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Ah, here we go. The subs bench aint strong enough, they're the wrong subs anyway. The back up left back isnt good enough. The midfield is awful, ad nauseam. Im done with the same old moaners every season, every fucking game. Crack on!

A good opening day performance by the boys against the Championship winners in front of their own crowd. 3 goals and a clean sheet, how good is that?

Virgil came through his first full game back and looked solid with Matip at the back. Tsimikas had a very good game, a couple of ropey moments and he was unlucky not to score with a sweet drive that Krul managed to smother. He put in some very good corners as well.

Ox did well in the Wijnaldum role. Nothing spectacular, just the same as Gini did. Keita, no doubt he'll be panned by many but again, I didnt think he had a bad game. Does need to impose himself on games and make things happen though.

Why is it every fucking goal we score is analysed to death? Pukki is having a laugh if he thinks turning and running into van Dijk like that is a foul. There was still plenty of time for Norwich to intercept the ball never mind Liverpool moving it from one end of the field to the other. Might be a fortunate touch by Mo put the ball into space but even so  Jota pounced in the box to drive it past Krul for the opener. No tippy tappy there, thank goodness.

Joel had a good chance to double the score from an angle when the ball broke to him with Krul spralling on the ground but a Norwich defender managed to block the ball and save Krul's blushes.

While the boys might not have had the game by the scruff of the neck, they looked comfortable and Norwich didnt really create anything of note. Marriner was getting on my tits giving Cantwell a free kick every time he went down and looked doe eyed at him. I reckon this lad will be Grealish mark 2 for getting free kicks for fuck all.

Jurgen brought on Fab and Bobby just after the hour to make a mockery of claims about the subs bench and lack of game changers.

Goal number 2 started in our own box with a ball out by Tsimikas. A break down the left and a ball back across the box gave Bobby an opportunity to beat Krul to make it 2-0. He did and we got to see Bobby's smile again. Mo finished off the scoring with a fierce left foot drive from the edge of the box off a Tsimikas corner that gave Krul no chance.

Harvey Elliott got on for the last 10 minutes or so. He looks a confident lad. Showed some bright touches in his cameo and Im sure Jurgen will use him wisely.

The last 5 to 10 minutes, the boys got a little slack at the back. I dont know if it was tiredness creeping in due to both Matip and van Dijk missing so many games, the fact we were 3-0 up or Norwich throwing everything at us to get a goal back. A mad scramble in the 6 yard box and it looked certain they'd pull one back but a smart save by Alli, a block then managing to palm the ball away maintained the clean sheet.

Im right up for the Burnley game now, cant wait even though it's a 12:30 kick off!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

His concentration levels where a bit off, not a bad game from him though. 

Ye. Thought he was good - also good for him to know the level he needs to get too to stay in the team. I noticed Virgil having a pop at him as well. He looks like a smashing option as a backup to Robbo in fairness. 

2 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Roll on next week, so the same moaning fucks can complain about something.

I know. People having opinions contrary to your own on forums. It’s the Devil’s work, and shouldn’t be allowed. Well, shouldn’t be allowed if it’s contrary to mine, that is.

I thought Tsimikas was quite good overall. Very good going forward. Got done a couple of times on one-on-ones but was good on crosses into our box. He did look knackered after 70 minutes and his concentration levels seemed to drop.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Anubis said:

I thought Tsimikas was quite good overall. Very good going forward. Got done a couple of times on one-on-ones but was good on crossed into the box. He did look knackered after 70 minutes and his concentration levels seemed to drop.

He looks a very capable back up, luckily we have the best left back in the world though. I do think he will make mistakes but going forward he looks suitable for the system we play. Needs to stay fit though 

I can't believe we have to "rely" on shite like Tsimikas, Oxlade, Keita, Milner, and Elliott, and I demand we buy another left back and 3 new midfielders before the 1st September.

Maybe then we'll be able to win some football games with a bit more conviction.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Agree. He had a brain fart when he dwelt on the ball in the box but he did a good job overall.

VVD had loads of those when he first came, and Hendo was always having a go.

This is the difference with winning teams. You have to be on it all the time.

• Upvote 1