You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you have your own space

Section_31

21 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

“Man caves” are for men whose wifes/girlfriends won’t let them have their things in the rest of the house.

Not true. Man caves are spaces the EXCLUSIVELY are designed and filled by the men, with zero input/oversight from the women. It makes sense to have that, if you have the room.

Letting a woman decorate the house is beneficial. I'd live in plain white box rooms without a woman in the house. I like a house to look good, but don't care enough/don't have time to do anything about it. My gf has ideas and the house look better for it. But I'm still glad I have some space that no on else goes near. I don't have to think about the family or their needs for this space. Just what I want exactly where I want it.

That said, I might have to clear some room in the gym shed to fit a 6m x 2m gymnastic air track for my daughter. Fucking Santa Claus, the bastard.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Not true. Man caves are spaces the EXCLUSIVELY are designed and filled by the men, with zero input/oversight from the women. It makes sense to have that, if you have the room.

Letting a woman decorate the house is beneficial. I'd live in plain white box rooms without a woman in the house. I like a house to look good, but don't care enough/don't have time to do anything about it. My gf has ideas and the house look better for it. But I'm still glad I have some space that no on else goes near. I don't have to think about the family or their needs for this space. Just what I want exactly where I want it.

That said, I might have to clear some room in the gym shed to fit a 6m x 2m gymnastic air track for my daughter. Fucking Santa Claus, the bastard.

Spot on that. I only know one lad who lives on his own and put it this way, I wouldn't use his toilet. 

Also, I wouldn't want my stuff on display around the house, I want it for me and those I deem worthy of entry to my inner sanctum. 

15 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Ha ha.

We’re between homes at the moment, living in shitty rented accommodation. A series of unfortunate events, including ill health, meant that we lost our home and pretty much everything in it, including furniture and fittings.

Previously, I chose the decor. I’m interested in interior design, aesthetics, furniture, etc. Each to their own but I wouldn’t let my wife decorate. She hasn’t got a clue.

• Upvote 2

Yes but I'm in the process of making it the old living room Amd the lock down has fucked it up as I can't get the carpet done. 

Nothing spectacular 

TV and consoles in one corner

Bookshelves full of miniatures down one wall. Paint Station with airbrush in other corner. 

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Ha ha.

We’re between homes at the moment, living in shitty rented accommodation. A series of unfortunate events, including ill health, meant that we lost our home and pretty much everything in it, including furniture and fittings.

Previously, I chose the decor. I’m interested in interior design, aesthetics, furniture, etc. Each to their own but I wouldn’t let my wife decorate. She hasn’t got a clue.

Fuck, sorry to hear that Tony. 

I'm shit at anything house related. I admire it when it's done right, but don't have that kind of brain. I do like the idea of having a pair of world class leather armchairs by the fire with whisky and cigars, but beyond that I'm stumped. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Ha ha.

I've started really getting interested in that kind of thing in the past year or so, after reading Bruno Munari's Design as Art. Properly changed how I looked at stuff.

What kind of things are you into? Any decent sites, magazines or books you'd recommend? 

2 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

I had the front bedroom for my darts and decks.

The stepson is having a sprog with his lazy arse girlfriend.

It's about to become a bedroom for said sprog.

Twats

You need to print this off and leave it lying around. 

23 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I've started really getting interested in that kind of thing in the past year or so, after reading Bruno Munari's Design as Art. Properly changed how I looked at stuff.

What kind of things are you into? Any decent sites, magazines or books you'd recommend? 

I like period properties and interiors, mostly Victorian and Edwardian. I particularly like William Morris walllaper and textiles.

• Upvote 1

I have got a study. It's got my guitars and a piano (must get round to learning to play that stuff one day). Also got my gaming PC and works lappy. 

I usually have CSGO on one screen and the footy on the other screen. 

Here's some pics on my wall...

wall.jpg

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

Mentioned earlier in the thread, but I really do need a space of my own. Partly for work and partly just to escape. I mostly work from home anyway but, at the moment, the wife is on furlough and I’ve got two teenagers pretending to be home/college schooled. 

I’ve been looking at something like the below. Lots of alternatives about though. I’d have no chance of installing it myself though so that’s an added cost.

As I’m self employed the office itself wouldn’t be tax deductible but fixtures, fittings and running costs would (I think).

I could also live in it when the wife finally kicks me out. 

38E1F297-3A13-45F2-8D57-38F9A9965F69.jpeg

That looks really nice. Thing is, I think the price is £750 per sq meter which would mean if it was 3 x 2 meter youre looking over £4k.

Disclaimer - I am a thick twat when it comes to this type of thing

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

That looks really nice. Thing is, I think the price is £750 per sq meter which would mean if it was 3 x 2 meter youre looking over £4k.

Disclaimer - I am a thick twat when it comes to this type of thing

No, I think your right. I’m costing at 3x3 sq m so I need to save up a bit first but it’s becoming a ‘need to have’ rather than ‘nice to have’.

My other option is to convert our existing garage but this doesn’t excite me as much. 

At the moment I’m working in the bedroom or kitchen which is ok but not sustainable. 

38 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I like period properties and interiors, mostly Victorian and Edwardian. I particularly like William Morris walllaper and textiles.

Arts and crafts movement; a man of taste, as ever Tony. I always think of the famous Morris quote whenever I'm having a clear out. If it isn't beautiful or useful, get rid.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, neko said:

I plan on building a studio in the woods that the wife will never find. She's terrible with directions.

Our current house has a separate one bedroom suite in the basement. I renovated it many years ago for renters, but really designed it as my own space once we finished with tenants.

I sleep there myself with the cats every night, as I prefer the coolness and quiet compared to upstairs. So do the cats...they like hanging on the big sofa by the fireplace.

I cook down there as well in the small, but efficient kitchen. TV right in front of me, and a well stocked pantry of booze and recreational drugs. 

WIFI is good, so I can work down there if I need to, but prefer my office upstairs during the day, as the basement is a bit dark.

The dream. You're living it. 

3 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Your bedroom makes my bedroom look like shit.

Cheers, wanker.

hahahaha

26 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Arts and crafts movement;

Our place of lockdown is on the South coast. Built 1938. Proper arts and crafts design. Love that era and, of course, art deco. 

We've spent a lot doing it up whilst trying to maintain the character. We reached a financial/time position where we had to compromise on the interior so that we could just get in. At some stage we'd like to properly get the interior decor to match the outside, but it is what it is for now. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Our place of lockdown is on the South coast. Built 1938. Proper arts and crafts design. Love that era and, of course, art deco. 

We've spent a lot doing it up whilst trying to maintain the character. We reached a financial/time position where we had to compromise on the interior so that we could just get in. At some stage we'd like to properly get the interior decor to match the outside, but it is what it is for now. 

Pics or GTFO