You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kostas Tsimikas

YNWAViking

6 hours ago, Ron B said:

Maybe Big Jan and Craig Johnston in the late 80s, after Houghton and Barnesy came in and the midfield was overhauled. 

Johnstone was actually still starting in 87/88 on the right, until Houghton was bought in October. After Walshie was sold (sorry Dave) Johnstone covered all front 4 positions that season so still made 35 appearances. Pity he retired at the end of that season, at 28 years old, to look after his sister. 

• Upvote 1

While none are currently 'big game' starting XI when everyone is fit, Kelleher, Tsimikas, Gomez, Bajectic, Quansah, Endo, Gravenberch and Doak all have either decent experience or huge potential. They won't let us down and the more they play the more coherent combinations of them will look together. Plenty of opportunities for them this season with the league and UEFA cups. 

• 1 month later...

I have always been sort of a fan and I think he is legitimately a talented footballer, but hes lost me. Im sure people at the club love the guy, but it should have been telling when he was so eager to remain a backup for the remainder of his prime, he doesnt really have the fire. 

I think he's shit but it's not easy being a defender in this team. Everyone fucks off up the pitch they lose the ball and you get called dodgy because youre either not there because you joined the attack or you have a huge percentage  of the pitch to cover on your own. We are a gift for shit opposition that struggle to score because we expose ourselves like only fans is our only income. Its why Allison to me is our greatest Klopp signing.

What I really don't understand is why we extended his contract so significantly (until 2027) if we were looking to basically shift toward a 3 at the back with very limited use of full backs or wing backs. To protect his value?

As he is really not well suited to be a left center half or someone who can fill in as a defensive full back.

Decent contract extensions also tend to be linked to a minor loss of form as it disincetivises  players to try perform in order to attain a new one. I just think the way Kostas has been managed over the past 6 months or so has been really poor and it doesn't seem to make much sense.

It was fairly obvious that alongside the midfield rebuild we needed a back-up left center back/Left back and for whatever reason that wasn't achieved.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

What I really don't understand is why we extended his contract so significantly (until 2027) if we were looking to basically shift toward a 3 at the back with very limited use of full backs or wing backs. To protect his value?

As he is really not well suited to be a left center half or someone who can fill in as a defensive full back.

Decent contract extensions also tend to be linked to a minor loss of form as it disincetivises  players to try perform in order to attain a new one. I just think the way Kostas has been managed over the past 6 months or so has been really poor and it doesn't seem to make much sense.

It was fairly obvious that alongside the midfield rebuild we needed a back-up left center back/Left back and for whatever reason that wasn't achieved.

I don't know that we ever wanted a left centre back/ left back hybrid. To me, that was just an assumption made because we started inverting the fullbacks. Think we just want a conventional centre back to replace Matip next season.

You are right, though, the management of Kostas has been weird. I think the club just view him as a quality squad player, who gets along well with the players. And extending him keeps some continuity, we don't have another hole to fill in the squad, etc... In practice, though, he's got to actually perform, and he isn't.