You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

3 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Ouch! 

Screenshot_20210104_152224.jpg

How? How can they be a complete shitshow and still pull anything like these numbers? What are the public seeing that I’m not? They’re like Michael fucking Myers. You can stab them, shoot them, and set them on fire (although they mostly do it to themselves) and the fuckers still keep coming.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Anubis said:

How? How can they be a complete shitshow and still pull anything like these numbers? What are the public seeing that I’m not? They’re like Michael fucking Myers. You can stab them, shoot them, and set them on fire (although they mostly do it to themselves) and the fuckers still keep coming.

Assuming that’s the correct one and not the one Rapey posted a couple of days ago that seemed to show a big bounce to Labour, then I’m guessing it’s the love-in of our now free nation leaving the EU. I dunno, the country seems beyond reason. 

5 hours ago, Brownie said:

Repeatedly refused to answer a question with a yes or no when his answer was basically “yes”. It was bizarre.

So he abstained from answering then?

I just don't get him at all? I haven't seen the interview, but this sort of thing isn't going to help him and his recent reputation.  

That's depressing. 

Johnson has absolutely fucked up every single stage of this crisis. At every stage there have been opportunities for Labour to stress what needs to be done, because it's been obvious. Starmer has had plenty of opportunity to act like the Prime Minister we need, calling for stuff that people need, weeks before Johnson, Sunak and Hancock come up with their belated and botched announcements.  I want to see him on the front foot, dragging Johnson towards doing the right thing* rather than limping along in his shadow. 

(*Obviously, he can't literally do this, but he could at least give the impression of being ahead of the Government in calling for what is needed.)

• Upvote 3

Agreed. I want to see somebody that is angry at how badly they have made a mess of this. Every single Labour MP that goes near a tv appearance should clearly state that the Tories have failed to keep the country safe. 

We are calling out for a compassionate and decisive leader, Starmer is not showing that he is that person.

I am underwhelmed, but can understand why his isn't, yet, going for the throat, it helps nobody for panic to be spread by him attacking constantly, I get it, I don't fully agree, but this is where we are. My only fear is that if Alex is told to take a long walk on a short pier by the backbenchers, which is gathering pace, then none of this will stick to the new Tory cunt in charge, though they'll have plenty of ammo to fire back at him, naive perhaps.

'WHY HE WAITED: After the Labour leader was criticized by Twitter Corbynistsas for failing to back the left-wing National Education Union and demanding school closures at the weekend, a second Starmer ally told Playbook he didn’t feel comfortable calling for it while the government hadn’t put in place support for parents or children in terms of things like providing laptops. Playbook is told Starmer was also worried about how the government would cope with the challenge of having primary school children be able to learn at home, as well as the millions of parents who have to step back from their jobs to look after their kids. As Labour came to their position, Starmer regularly told his team: “Not everyone can just switch to Zoom.” Goes to show this week has been an awkward balancing act not just for the government.'

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Starmer has been underwhelming with all this but the problem is, just like with Corbyn, people have pilloried him with so much trivial shit that justified criticism gets lost in the noise. 

Yep, it’s exactly the same pattern.

Pillared in the press through caricature and sound bite, dissenting voices in the party being the loudest and gaining most airtime, messaging  being on the back foot through constant fire fighting, plus ca change? 

This is part of the game though and needs to be addressed and factored in to campaigning and messaging of policy and criticism, or we’ll never get anywhere.

31 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Starmer has been underwhelming with all this but the problem is, just like with Corbyn, people have pilloried him with so much trivial shit that justified criticism gets lost in the noise. 

He’s been a bit disappointing for me overall to be honest,  he seems to lack dynamism and personality and you can argue until the cows come home but these are qualities that much of the electorate look to. Even more depressing is the glee that so many Labour supporters are revelling in his less than stellar performance but that’s the Labour Party today, irrevocably split, unelectable and an absolute embarrassment. I see “Outraged Owen” is taking every opportunity to put the boot in.  Bad times.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

He’s been a bit disappointing for me overall to be honest,  he seems to lack dynamism and personality and you can argue until the cows come home but these are qualities that much of the electorate look to. Even more depressing is the glee that so many Labour supporters are revelling in his less than stellar performance but that’s the Labour Party today, irrevocably split, unelectable and an absolute embarrassment. I see “Outraged Owen” is taking every opportunity to put the boot in.  Bad times.

Starmer is kind of an anti populist in a sense, he's dour but he's smart. If he was faced with a John Major or even a Theresa May type, politics would look reassuringly boring once again and we could all go and watch something else. 

Me personally, I quite like the idea of politicians who've done a real job, are smart and organised. Boring is good. 

The Labour party and wider society is awash with slacktivists, people who fire off emails and Tweets all day long. But that isn't going to change the world and it's certainly not going to win an election.  

• Upvote 3

To be fair, most here will vote Labour whether its Starmer, Corbyn, Blair or a monkey. Like it or not its appealing to people like me who are not left wing that is the challenge for Labour, otherwise they will not win. 

Starmer just needs to not fuck up too badly over the next few years, come up with a centrist manifesto and will then be PM.

2 minutes ago, A Red said:

To be fair, most here will vote Labour whether its Starmer, Corbyn, Blair or a monkey. Like it or not its appealing to people like me who are not left wing that is the challenge for Labour, otherwise they will not win. 

Starmer just needs to not fuck up too badly over the next few years, come up with a centrist manifesto and will then be PM.

On here? Maybe Starmer whilst holding their nose, Blair no chance, Corbyn and the monkey I’ll give you.

As far as winning an election goes, it’s much more important to win the support of those who haven’t voted for you than to go raging in like a loony so that the loudmouths (who will likely vote for you when Election Day comes) are placated.  That tweet saying it was ‘piss poor’ in the video just don’t understand who this type of thing is targeted at. He can’t change anything at the moment, he can just blunt the tools of the Tories. 

I’ve not seen the car crash interview Brownie was talking about. Anybody got a link? 

The Union Jack behind Starmer in that interview is a bit ham fisted  (I'm presuming it's his office). 

That being said, I'd be interested to see if any studies have been done about shifting voter bases. In the States and over here,  there seems to have been an about shift in who votes for who. More of the liberal wealth in the USA and UK seems to be going to the 'left', (I think Labour did pretty well with the middle classes at the last election, could be wrong)  but they're losing support from the working class to the right, who know how to stoke and play them better. 

With that in mind, if the 'blue Labour patriotism' stuff works, then that would win back the red wall and deprive the Tories of their only real voter growth opportunities in the future, presumably. 

9 minutes ago, Numero said:

Hmn. The trap was to get him to say yes. I have to be honest, I was expecting a Diane Abbott moment. Either way, I doubt it puts people off voting for him. 

Why was it a trap? He would have looked better today by unequivocally saying yesterday that schools have to close today, as they have.