You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2022 at 17:18, TD_LFC said:

Not sure the She-Hulk series earned the right to be THAT meta.

Never watched one episode after seeing the terrible reviews but read the controversy after the final episode and it felt lien the equivalent of someone in twitter using the fishing emoji after their terrible take had just been ridiculed. 

No way did they originally set out to pull the wool over peoples eyes and turn it onto fans who criticise the shite they keep churning out every few months. 

9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Never watched one episode after seeing the terrible reviews but read the controversy after the final episode and it felt lien the equivalent of someone in twitter using the fishing emoji after their terrible take had just been ridiculed. 

No way did they originally set out to pull the wool over peoples eyes and turn it onto fans who criticise the shite they keep churning out every few months. 

The ending is pulled from the comics so it's not something they came with on the hoof, I just think they needed a 'regular' season or two before they pulled something like that because it didn't feel earned.

• 3 weeks later...

Black Panther - Wakanda Forever.

Really confusing thoughts about it, I'm equal parts underwhelmed, happy, unhappy and just about satisfied with various aspects of it.

Angela Bassett as Queen Ramonda and Tenoch Huerta as Namor are great, Danai Gurira as Okeye is good too, Lupita Nyong'o is still criminally underused as Nakia and while I've never really taken to the character of Shuri or Letitia Wright, she's fine in what were understandably difficult circumstances.

Don't know if they've started using the Stagecraft tech in the MCU but CGI in Wakanda whenever they were away from 'real' locations was really bad. A few times it looked like the actors were standing in front of a badly lit matte painting, kept giving me Wizard of Oz vibes.

The new Black Panther was CGI'd really spindly and unnatural as well at times.

No Specific Spoilers Below but Broadly talk about the Structure.

I think they drop the ball on the event that has overshadowed the film in the first 15 minutes and it has a fraction of the weight and sadness that they managed to get from that first trailer, because of that it distracted and frustrated me during the first act, they do more at the end of the film to redeem it though.

The Namor stuff is all good, the passing of the mantle is underwhelming, the end is just a big CGI fight as usual.

They need to seriously work on the design of a new character that was introduced before her series starts because it looks like some mad Japanese Power Rangers/Gundam cluster fuck (as did something that get's given to an existing character to be fair).

The end end felt like it had more weight to it and the reveal, while sweet, doesn't make much sense.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was fine. Entertaining enough and dealt well with CB’s death. Very disappointed by the lack of a post-credits sequence though which adds to my feeling that the overall focus of the MCU has floundered. This feels like a film whose events will be shoe-horned into later films, as with the TV stuff, rather than being pre-planned. 

• Upvote 1

Few more thoughts, some my own and some from taking in some critical opinion post-viewing:

1. The start and end of the film are brilliant as they deal with T’ Challa’s death. Genuinely moving stuff that’s really powerful and well judged. 

2. Despite this, the lack of T’Challa just leaves a massive fucking hole that isn’t filled satisfactorily even by the introduction and pretty heavy use of Namor (who I liked). 

3.  I’ve realised that the lack of a post-credits sequence is probably because they had a change of heart about something. Put that together with the long-standing rumours about Dr Doom being a shadowy behind-the-scenes villain after some vibranium for personal use and I’m now even more disappointed. A brief half-glimpse of him at the very end here would’ve really started to galvanise Phase 4 as a coherent narrative arc. 

4. Yet again, MCU action sequences that aren’t directed by the Russos fail to genuinely thrill. Throw in poorly lit (to disguise the quality?) CGI sequences and the stuff that should make you go, “Wow” doesn’t. 

5. Ri Ri Williams feels shoe-horned in and poorly explained as a character. 

6. The reveal of Shuri as the new BP feels underwhelming. 

In short I feel less positive than I did last night about this film. 

The MCU’s on its arse now. They’re trying to flog these minor characters to death and there’s nothing to play with because Spider-Man’s got all the best villains. Sony knew exactly what they were doing rejecting the rest of them. Just a shame they put out stuff that’s just as bad 

I went off it lre the end of the Avengers. It went from great, when the films has space between them to just throwing any old shit at all the wall to get them and the TV shows out. I'll catch up one day but in no real rush. 

Do want to see Blade and whatever they do with Daredevil but not over optimistic on tbe later as they'll tone it down to much, same as whatever they do long term with the Punisher

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Only just got around to watching She-Hulk, which is both fun and funny. Particularly like the way it aimed its fire on the misogynistic ranks of so-called fans; just a shame they're not likely to actually see it. Only way it could have been improved was if Intelligencia called themselves the Toxic Mega Cunts, but I suppose that would go beyond what is permissible in a PG-13 rating, and besides, Kick-Ass got there first.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hell yeah. I pity anyone who hasn't seen season 2 of daredevil and the first season of the punisher.

Jon Bernthal is returning to his most punishing role. The actor will reprise Frank Castle, aka antihero the Punisher, in Marvel Studios’ Daredevil: Born Again for Disney+, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Bernthal joins Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio in the series, which begins shooting in New York this month. In a departure from other Marvel series, which come in at six or nine episodes per season, Born Again is planned as a whopping 18-episode epic. Writers and executive producers Matt Corman and Chris Ord are behind the show, which is expected to bow in the spring of 2024.

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Hell yeah. I pity anyone who hasn't seen season 2 of daredevil and the first season of the punisher.

Jon Bernthal is returning to his most punishing role. The actor will reprise Frank Castle, aka antihero the Punisher, in Marvel Studios’ Daredevil: Born Again for Disney+, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Bernthal joins Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio in the series, which begins shooting in New York this month. In a departure from other Marvel series, which come in at six or nine episodes per season, Born Again is planned as a whopping 18-episode epic. Writers and executive producers Matt Corman and Chris Ord are behind the show, which is expected to bow in the spring of 2024.

I'd temper the excitement slightly until we see how they deal with the adaptation.

The Hawkeye and She-Hulk series suggest we're getting a lighter version of Kingpin and Daredevil (unless the tonal shift is purely to fit them in those series) so it'll be interesting to see what they do with Punisher.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'd temper the excitement slightly until we see how they deal with the adaptation.

The Hawkeye and She-Hulk series suggest we're getting a lighter version of Kingpin and Daredevil (unless the tonal shift is purely to fit them in those series) so it'll be interesting to see what they do with Punisher.

Yeah true, I'm not hugely optimistic to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...