You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PSG (A) Champions League 28/11/2018

Bjornebye

Liverpool will give Sadio Mane until as late in the day as possible after a report claimed the player was in serious jeopardy of missing their vital Champions League showdown against Paris Saint-Germain on Wednesday.

The Reds are due to board a flight to Paris on Tuesday lunchtime ahead of Wednesday’s vital match at the Parc des Princes, which will have a big say on both sides’ hopes of reaching the knockout stages of the competition.

But Jurgen Klopp’s side may have to do so without Mane, who is reported to be feeling unwell and, at this stage, not considered well enough to feature, according to the London Evening Standard.

Mane, who has scored seven goals in 17 games this season, will be given until late Tuesday morning to prove his fitness, otherwise Klopp will be forced to leave one of his star men back at home.

Defeat in Serbia against Red Star Belgrade means Klopp’s side have lost their position of strength at the top of Group C and need one victory against either of their toughest opponents to make progress.

Failure to beat PSG in Paris would set up a tense must-win finale which could also entail needing a win by two clear goals to redress their head-to-head record against the Serie A side.

Speaking on Sunday evening, Mane, who last week committed to a huge new Liverpool contract, has listed the obvious three players his side must be wary of if they’re to inflict a rare home defeat on the Ligue 1 giants.

“It’s an important game [against PSG]. Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani… even defensively, they are really impressive,” Mane told Telefoot.

“Kylian Mbappe is an excellent player, he has progressed so fast. This is good for the French national team. He gave you the World Cup this summer. It’s so good for you.”

However, Mane is confident they can get the job done in France and achieve what no other side has done at the Parc des Princes this season.

In fact, PSG only lost once at home last season – in their final match of the season to Rennes – when the title had already been wrapped up.

“Our team ethic is fantastic,” Mane added. “Everything we do, we do it together That’s why we are very strong.

“It will not be easy against Paris, but with Liverpool, everything is possible.”

They are absolutely breezing through the league so upping the intensity will catch them off guard even if they expect it. That's the major key to the game.

And it's harder to do this these days because refs don't allow it as much and I don't particularly like the tactic, but we need to rough up Neymar and Mbappe. Just foul them cynically as much as possible because both of them have bad tempers. 

Besides that, they'll play a 3-4-3, probably with Kehrer as one of the CB's who is inexperienced and can be got at. Like last time, left wingback is the other defensive weakness with either Bernat or Di Maria. 

It will be a little different than the first game because they will have Verratti back and that will make them better with the ball, but the catch with him is that he's pretty easy to frustrate and get in trouble. 

If we're clinical and play with the right intensity, we'll get a result. PSG have a great performance in them, but they're still a soft touch in Europe a lot of the time.   

• Upvote 2

For me our biggest strength is that our manager is miles better than theirs. How Tuchel got that job if they want European success is beyond me. He had a decent spell at Mainz and a reasonable start at Dortmund but he's getting jobs way above his ability level,in my opinion. The PSG job domestically is like Rodgers at Celtic,should win every week.

Klopp knows that a win here would be a statement win and would put to bed the shit we saw in Red Star.

Cavani is the danger, in much the same way that lump was the danger for Red Star.  He'll try and keep Van Dijk occupied himself and make space for Neymar and Mbappe.

I'd like to see Keita have a big game.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Don Balon said:

Klopp knows that a win here would be a statement win and would put to bed the shit we saw in Red Star.

Cavani is the danger, in much the same way that lump was the danger for Red Star.  He'll try and keep Van Dijk occupied himself and make space for Neymar and Mbappe.

I'd like to see Keita have a big game.

Cavani was shit at Anfield. I don't rate him at all. Mbappe however.... 

10 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I need to get a grip.

I just checked the weather forecast for Paris....

Anyone else as weird as me? 

I did earlier only because I saw a tweet from Robbie Or who has just arrived saying the weather is shite.