You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal Post-Wenger

Ne Moe Imya

1 hour ago, Ron B said:

Rafa is an excellent shout - if he’d be willing to go there. I know that he loves England and the Prem, but I’m not sure whether an absentee owner, limited control, and a hostile fanbase would be his ideal combination. 

Rafa is like the abused house wife going back for more - he always manages to find himself at a club where the fans mostly buy in and support him while he’s at odds with the owners.

Arsenal in its current setup is made for him. 

15 hours ago, Baltar said:

Benitez would be an incredible coup for Arsenal. Hell, even fat Sam would be an improvement on the poundshop Pep they currently have. Pity for them he's gone to West Brom.

Poundshop Pep?

Poundshop Emery, more like.

• Upvote 1

Short term they have to get rid of Arteta.

Long term the biggest problem at Arsenal is Edu and his close relationship with Kia Joorabchian. Their squad is shit and it will never get any better if they continue to be used as a retirement home for Kia's clients. The Willian signing was pretty stupid, but signing a 29 year old Cedric Soares - their third choice right back - on a 3+1 year contract was beyond belief.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

I love Rafa, but he’d be better off dodging that shitshow. As awful as that Chinese league must be beyond the huge money, it’s probably still better than managing Arsenal. 

Think the money cap will see a lot of players fucking that league off. He's been there a while so may want to come back. Agree that he shouldn't go to Arsenal though.

On 19/12/2020 at 21:12, Ron B said:

Arsenal have truly screwed the pooch though. They don’t generate money like United do; they haven’t even flirted with a title challenge in I don’t know how long; their squad is horribly lopsided and poorly constructed; the owner sees it he club as a cashcow; and behind the scenes the director of football, recruitment team, etc, clearly aren’t good enough. 

I know some people  (still!) have a go at FSG for caring more about income than trophies, but with Arsenal it's fucking blatant.  They used to regularly compete for titles, then they sold their best goalscorer to United (so Alex Ferguson could get one more title as a retirement prezzie) and sold the best of the rest of their players to City (so they could start winning stuff). The shambles they are in now is no more than they deserve. 

• Upvote 1

On 19/12/2020 at 22:12, Ron B said:

Rafa is an excellent shout - if he’d be willing to go there. I know that he loves England and the Prem, but I’m not sure whether an absentee owner, limited control, and a hostile fanbase would be his ideal combination. 

Benitez went to Chelsea where he was fucking despised and to Newcastle where he ticks the absentee owner and limited control boxes. He managed at Real Madrid. He's currently fucking about in China while his family still live in the Wirral. He'd jump at just about any job in this league. Whether he'd be a good fit or if arsenal should even contemplate it is a different matter, but I don't see anything but salary stopping him taking it. 

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Benitez went to Chelsea where he was fucking despised and to Newcastle where he ticks the absentee owner and limited control boxes. He managed at Real Madrid. He's currently fucking about in China while his family still live in the Wirral. He'd jump at just about any job in this league. Whether he'd be a good fit or of arsenal should even contemplate it is a different matter, but I don't see anything but salary stopping him taking it. 

Yeah, Rafa would be at Arsenal in a shot if they made him an offer.

He'd obviously do a better job than Arteta, but still not really the galvanising force that the Arse need to turn themselves around.  Mind you there's probably only Klopp that could dig them out of the mess they're in and get the club moving in the right direction.  They are pretty much fucked.

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah, Rafa would be at Arsenal in a shot if they made him an offer.

He'd obviously do a better job than Arteta, but still not really the galvanising force that the Arse need to turn themselves around.  Mind you there's probably only Klopp that could dig them out of the mess they're in and get the club moving in the right direction.  They are pretty much fucked.

The thing with arsenal, their new breed of fans expect that football that Wenger brought to them. They won't accept what Rafa would bring unless he somehow created another miracle like Istanbul and he'd have to get them in there 1st, which would probably be too much time for them to put up with how he'd set them up. 

I think there's managers in the league they could go for though - certainly Santo or hasenhuttl would be an improvement on arteta and I see no reason why they they wouldn't take it. People like to talk arsenal's position down in the world, but those 20 years or whatever it was that wenger got them into the CL carries their name in Europe, certainly that it could tempt the coach of wolves or Southampton. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing with arsenal, their new breed of fans expect that football that Wenger brought to them. They won't accept what Rafa would bring unless he somehow created another miracle like Istanbul and he'd have to get them in there 1st, which would probably be too much time for them to put up with how he'd set them up. 

I think there's managers in the league they could go for though - certainly Santo or hasenhuttl would be an improvement on arteta and I see no reason why they they wouldn't take it. People like to talk arsenal's position down in the world, but those 20 years or whatever it was that wenger got them into the CL carries their name in Europe, certainly that it could tempt the coach of wolves or Southampton. 

I think the Arsenal fans would accept any sort of competency at the moment - but longer term they would bitch at Rafa's style for sure.

Not sure Nuno could take it, as he's Mendes' boy and Joorabchian has his fingers in the pie at Arsenal.

Hassenhuttl has done a good job at Southampton, yep.  Not sure on he's got the heft needed to knock the whole organisation into shape though.

It's funny that despite having won a bunch of trophies in multiple places, Emery seemed like an average appointment at the time. And now only like two years later we're talking Rafa, who is practically a decade removed from his best, Nuno who has done nothing in his career except win the Championship and Hasenhuttl who similarly has almost no achievements.

Been a precipitous fall. Out of those three, though, Hasenhuttl would be by far the best choice.  Always a bit puzzled by the Nuno shouts in these discussions. He plays basic, bland counter attacking football. He'd have Arsenal finishing 6th every season. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

I think Hassenhutl’s formation would suit their squad the best.

4-4-2

Leno; Bellerin, Holding, Gabriel, Tierney, Partey, Ceballos, Willian, Saka; Lacazette, Aubameyang.

That team would finish top 4.

Leno - average

Bellerin - lost it

Holding - never been good

Gabriel - not great

Tierney - OK

Partey - decent enough

Ceballos - massively overrated

Willian - in semi-retirement

Saka - decent young player, scored 1 goal in his life

Lacazette - flatters to deceive

Aubameyang - has given up

Might scrape top half.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's funny that despite having won a bunch of trophies in multiple places, Emery seemed like an average appointment at the time. And now only like two years later we're talking Rafa, who is practically a decade removed from his best, Nuno who has done nothing in his career except win the Championship and Hasenhuttl who similarly has almost no achievements.

Been a precipitous fall. Out of those three, though, Hasenhuttl would be by far the best choice.  Always a bit puzzled by the Nuno shouts in these discussions. He plays basic, bland counter attacking football. He'd have Arsenal finishing 6th every season. 

Wenger had no real record when he joined them. It doesn't always work like that. It's about finding the right person at the right time. 

And the reason Santo is in the discussion is he gets better results with a worse squad and less resources at wolves than arsenal have managed for some time. Arsenal need someone who can build a better team with little money, who has a good command of the language and the constraints he'll be working with at arsenal while they get back on their feet. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Wenger had no real record when he joined them. It doesn't always work like that. It's about finding the right person at the right time. 

And the reason Santo is in the discussion is he gets better results with a worse squad and less resources at wolves than arsenal have managed for some time. Arsenal need someone who can build a better team with little money, who has a good command of the language and the constraints he'll be working with at arsenal while they get back on their feet. 

Wenger had won the title in France with Monaco. 

Also, there are some managers with no CV's that deserve chances at big clubs based on their style of play and potential. I wouldn't say Nuno has shown any potential for greatness, really. He's a decent manager, nothing more. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Wenger had won the title in France with Monaco. 

Also, there are some managers with no CV's that deserve chances at big clubs based on their style of play and potential. I wouldn't say Nuno has shown any potential for greatness, really. He's a decent manager, nothing more. 

A decent manager is what they need right now, because they don't have one of them, they have a big headed arrogant cunt who thinks he's great because he had a seat in the stands when city were hitting 100 points. Some of the best managers aren't suited to turning around sinking ships - I think both santo and hasenhuttl would drive arsenal back to a league position fitting with their turnover. 

Arteta have completely lost his marbles now.

The Gunners' analysts calculate their expected win percentage based on a number of factors, including chances created and possession, in relation to the entire history of the Premier League.

Arteta said: "Last year we won the game against Everton (Emirates, February 23) with a 25-per-cent chance of winning, you win 3-2. Last weekend, it was a 67-per-cent chance of winning any Premier League game in history and a nine-per-cent chance of losing, and you lose. 

"Three per cent against Burnley and you lose, seven per cent against Spurs and you lose.

"There is something else apart from that. It is not just the performance on the pitch, it is something else that needs to go our way and at the moment it doesn't.

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It was France when Tony Hately looked good there. I reckon I could have taken my Sunday league team at the time and finished top half.

If your Sunday team had Weah, Klinsman and Djorkaeff, then brought through Thuram and Henry you might be right.

TBH I don't think your Sunday team was that good.