You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wednesday, 14th February - FC Porto vs Liverpool. Happy Valentine's Day

The Porto forums thoughts...

We look like a Sam Allardyce team. 

With a scary tactical rigidity and that Klopp brilliantly denounced our country football. 

To give tactical credit to Sérgio Conceição was one of the biggest blunders I've ever said, I'm very ashamed

• Upvote 1

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

We'll be rock solid in defence,

Controlling in midfield,

And shit-hot in attack too.

This guy knows his shit!

In Moscow, we drew 1-1 with a Spartak side we absolutely mauled without finishing off the glut of chances we created. In Maribor, we actually did get the goals our dominance deserved, winning 7-0. In Seville, we let slip a 3-goal lead in the second half when Sevilla really were there for the taking. Tonight, we stood on Porto's throats and never let up.

This is one hell of a result against a team that is normally very stingy in defence. They simply never got to grips with our pressing game, and just couldn't handle the pace and variety of angles with which we attacked them. I don't think they're an especially slow side normally, but they looked it against us. The relative lack of intensity of the Portuguese league clearly wasn't suitable preparation for this game.

Excellent hat-trick from Mane, and hopefully a return to something like the devastating form he showed last season. And it started with some bad judgement on his part too! He was played into the inside left channel by Firmino and only had to pick out the wide-open Wijnaldum at the far post, but scuffed a cut-back that wasn't on, and the chance was gone. It was from our next attack that he scored the opener. The Porto keeper made a right hash of it, letting the ball slip underneath him.

Salah doubled the lead with yet another Messi-esque piece of virtuoso skill, deftly controlling a bouncing ball over the keeper's desperate lunge, getting it under control with his head and then calmly placing the ball in the opposite direction to the covering defender. Just top class from the Egyptian, and he's the first Liverpool player to reach the 30-goal mark since Suarez in 2014. It was a hell of a curling effort by Milner to hit the post just prior to that.

And yet Firmino's role in the team cannot be understated. His hold-up play was making mugs of Porto's defence, and it was yet another brilliant back-heeled flick to Salah that led to the third goal. Salah played the ball through to him once more, and the keeper could only parry his shot into the path of Mane to tuck the ball home. The speed of our counters must scare the shit out of the opposition. Great for us, bad for them.

Firmino deserved a goal and he got it following another fast break after stealing the ball back on halfway. Just like against Southampton, he calmly stroked home the ball with minimum of fuss when the ball was played across to him in the area by Milner. He'd faded a little bit in the 5-10 minutes before that goal and I was thinking the Klopp should bring on Ings for a meaningful run-out. Good job he held fire on that switch.

Mane made it five and completed his hat-trick with a devastating shot from 20 yards following yet another steal and break from halfway. He had a man over which was the prudent ball, but he chanced his arm, showing the sort of confidence in his ability that's been missing for the last couple of months. He'd still been involved and was getting the odd goal or assist, but he lacked an edge and good decision making in the final third. Again, hopefully tonight's display has him firing on all cylinders once again.

Apart from one moment of indecision early on that led to Lovren making a last-ditch block, our defence looked untroubled. Porto only had one other moment in the first half, with their striker firing just wide after a tidy passing move. One scuffed effort from Marega in the second half, and a couple of shots high and wide were the sum total of Porto's attempts to lay a glove on us.

Everyone was 'on it' tonight, and that's made the second leg at Anfield a formality. I don't want Klopp or the players to approach it like that though, because complacency in so-called 'dead rubber' fixtures can seep into subsequent and more important matches. Treat that game with the same respect they treated this one, as that's the attitude that should be ingrained so it becomes second nature.

• Upvote 1

The Porto forums thoughts...

We look like a Sam Allardyce team. 

With a scary tactical rigidity and that Klopp brilliantly denounced our country football. 

To give tactical credit to Sérgio Conceição was one of the biggest blunders I've ever said, I'm very ashamed

Ha, doing exactly the same thing.

Milner was fantastic tonight all over the pitch, real leadership.  Wijnaldum played quite well, but Henderson was abject.  Running alongside and pointing.  Same as it ever was.  

I thought the defence as a whole was great, VVD especially, but Lovren looked very good too, and it would appear that we have a proper left back.  

The three lads at the front were magnificent.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I said at the start of the season that an English team would win it this year.

It feels like we've gone back to the years of English premier league clubs dominating the champions league with the amount of money in the league and the quality of the managers.

At least four Premier League teams will be in the quarter finals, I've got a bad feeling we will get Man City.

Milner was fantastic tonight all over the pitch, real leadership. Wijnaldum played quite well, but Henderson was abject. Running alongside and pointing. Same as it ever was.

Bit mean-spirited to take a swipe at any player tonight, Stringy. Thought he played his part in a solid midfield.