You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wednesday, 14th February - FC Porto vs Liverpool. Happy Valentine's Day

We could all of course see how good it was but just read these stats which show just how special the result is:

Liverpool registered the joint-biggest away Champions League knockout win, equalling Bayern Munich's 5-0 win at Sporting Lisbon in February 2009 and Real Madrid's at Schalke in February 2014.

This is Porto's heaviest home European defeat and the first time they have conceded more than three goals in a home European match.

Liverpool are the first English side to score five goals in an away Champions League knockout match.

Porto top of their league with a game in hand , unbeaten and only conceded 10 goals in 21 games....

Some result tonight lads

Before tonight, they'd conceded 4 goals at home all season. Must've been a bit of a shock to the locals! 

Whisper it, but I thought the ref did OK tonight. He allowed a few proper tackles for both teams and allowed the game to flow.

He did better than okay, I thought he was fantastic. Usually, refs follow the rule of giving everything to the home side regardless of whether it's a foul or not. The ground kicks up a minimal degree of fuss, the ref gets very little abuse and the away team expect that sort of treatment anyway.

He reffed a game fairly, giving both sides a fair shake and - as you say - allowed the game to flow without letting it get out of hand. It feels like an alien concept when you watch the Premier League refs every week. 

He did better than okay, I thought he was fantastic. Usually, refs follow the rule of giving everything to the home side regardless of whether it's a foul or not. The ground kicks up a minimal degree of fuss, the ref gets very little abuse and the away team expect that sort of treatment anyway.

He reffed a game fairly, giving both sides a fair shake and - as you say - allowed the game to flow without letting it get out of hand. It feels like an alien concept when you watch the Premier League refs every week.

I thought the ref was good too but he should really have booked Milner early in the 2nd half when he went a mental fouling spree. Other than that, bravo sir.

• Upvote 1

Klopp will send these out to put the tie to bed.  He won't want a tight game at Anfield, it's all about putting away goals on the board tonight.

Van Dijk to be a fucking colossus against their yard-dog forwards.

last time i seen you on here, you wanted  klopp gone hahaha

That is an impressive performance by anybody's standards.

Would anybody want to get Liverpool in the next round? I very much doubt it.

Teams that can score 5 away from home at this stage of CL will worry anybody.

You guys are just as ruthless if not better to be honest. But for some reason I was fancying a City- Liverpool final.

Not as creative, evocative, lyrical nor loveable as our dave u, of course, but I found myself nodding almost word-for-word with this bloke from Chester:

http://www.espnfc.com.au/uefa-champions-league/2/blog/post/3382999/liverpools-devastating-front-three-at-their-absolute-best-in-thrashing-of-porto

I haven’t watched it yet but apparently Roy Keane on itv’s highlights show was having a moan about us and spurs not winning anything for years. He is so bitter! What’s that got to do with this week’s games?

Can’t he just enjoy the games he’s just watched? I was looking forward to watching this show but if he’s going to put a downer on it I’m not so keen!

I haven’t watched it yet but apparently Roy Keane on itv’s highlights show was having a moan about us and spurs not winning anything for years. He is so bitter! What’s that got to do with this week’s games?

Can’t he just enjoy the games he’s just watched? I was looking forward to watching this show but if he’s going to put a downer on it I’m not so keen!

I'm not sure Keane's ever enjoyed football, more endured it.

Can’t he just enjoy the games he’s just watched? I was looking forward to watching this show but if he’s going to put a downer on it I’m not so KEEN!

I like what I did there .....no pun intended

That horrible cunt's bitterness added a little to my enjoyment.
  • Upvote 1