You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2018

DanDanShaw

Sounds like Linares and Lomachenko signed to fight and Brook vs Charlo seems to be gaining momentum.

Good pair of fights Loma and Charlo for me

Great pair of scraps if they get sorted. Would be supporting, if not backing, the underdogs in both. Can't stand Loma. Rubs me up the wrong way. Can't even explain it.

Hearn saying Quigg had a stress fracture in his foot so wasn't able to cut weight for most of the camp, but Quigg said he was 3lbs over the day before the fight which is what he always has been before and last bit of weight would shift.  The entire camps full of shit, they took the chance on being overweight/winning and it backfired.  I'm made up.

73c90f021e137b97899d2993ec56ced1.jpg

WBC, WBA and IBF have always been the proper titles in my opinion. If you win those three you should be declared 'undisputed' champion. The WBO is a shady one because certain promoters have a very strong influence on the organisation. Frank Warren used to get fighters up the WBO rankings suspiciously quickly. Although both the WBC and WBA have shot themselves in the foot recently with the introduction of so many pointless titles like WBC silver, WBA regular champion and all that bullshit. 

There's always confusion between most prestigious and best to win.  The WBA and the WBC will always be the most "prestigious" because they were the first and the WBC title is absolutely stunning, but the IBF closed it's doors due to corruption, so even though they're very strict on their rules now, they'll always have a black mark against them.  The WBO is definitely better to win than the WBA, mainly down to their interim and regular "world titles", but it isn't more prestigious.

I think the WBA was first, then the WBC came along as they thought Mexican's weren't getting a fair chance to win a world title, the IBF was formed as a sort of white knight to come in and follow the rules making it fair for everybody and the WBO was made for the same reason as the WBC but giving European fighters a chance.

The worrying thing is, whilst the WBA and WBC were always recognised as legitimate world titles, the IBF and WBO were shunned for years and years, until eventually they were accepted by the HOF as world titles.  Will it be long before the IBO is considered a legitimate title?  Joshua and Golovkin say in interviews that they value the belt. 

I'd be happy with the WBO being recognised if it meant the WBA was jibbed though.  After saying in 2016 that they wanted all regular titles dissolved by 2019, they've made 6 NEW regular championship belts.

Boxing titles need a huge shake up, there should just be one big merger of all the corporations and be one world champion per weight. Then have the area, country and continental titles as they step up to world level and unless they’re legitimately injured the world champion should fight 2/3 times a year or forfeit the title. I know it’ll never happen because of the money and corruption involved in boxing. You would have to fight near enough every top 10 to climb the rankings or you don’t get to challenge for the title, we would get much bigger and better fights as a result.

Boxing titles need a huge shake up, there should just be one big merger of all the corporations and be one world champion per weight. Then have the area, country and continental titles as they step up to world level and unless they’re legitimately injured the world champion should fight 2/3 times a year or forfeit the title. I know it’ll never happen because of the money and corruption involved in boxing. You would have to fight near enough every top 10 to climb the rankings or you don’t get to challenge for the title, we would get much bigger and better fights as a result.

Not a chance

Sanctioning fees for all the various titles keep these leeches in jobs

Not a chance

Sanctioning fees for all the various titles keep these leeches in jobs

I know mate that’s the unfortunate thing, greedy bastards at the top just want to keep lining their pockets. It would be a better sport if everyone knew who was the best, at the moment it’s all up in there air and excuses are made about everyone avoiding each other, I would say it’s getting better on that front.

I wonder if a UFC style company would work in boxing, where all the top fighters need to be in one place. Al Haymon or someone with huge influence should try it.

A UFC style boxing would be terrible for the fighters to be honest.

UFCs only bad financially for the fighters because they don’t pay them enough, with boxers if they would want it to work they’d have to pay them accordingly or they don’t join, like the World Series thing, to get the cruiserweights involved they paid them a lot more than they normally earn to get the best involved.

Like I said I doubt it would work but somethings got to give, at times I don’t even know who the proper champions are. Wasn’t Vitali Emerald Champion or something for about 5 years after he retired.

Valdez really proved he is World class against Quigg, he outboxed him and showed he's a tough fucker on top of it, Quigg was using his weight advantage as much as possible by leaning on him all fight but Valdez stood up to it, delighted to see that, it was a serious test for him,  Would love to see him in with Frampton.

UFC fighters are paid pretty well now, especially the mid-card fighters, they used to get about 5-10k but pretty much most shit heads in the UFC get about 30/50k a fight now.

Boxing has far too many big promoters to have just the one belt, or even two really. It only works in MMA because the UFC basically run the entire sport.  You'd have too many belts being held hostage in boxing, it's even creeping into the UFC now.

I'd love to see Valdez vs either Selby or Frampton.

UFC fighters are paid pretty well now, especially the mid-card fighters, they used to get about 5-10k but pretty much most shit heads in the UFC get about 30/50k a fight now.

Boxing has far too many big promoters to have just the one belt, or even two really. It only works in MMA because the UFC basically run the entire sport. You'd have too many belts being held hostage in boxing, it's even creeping into the UFC now.

I'd love to see Valdez vs either Selby or Frampton.

Mid carders are paid well if they win or nab a bonus. Even the PPV stars basic is poor in boxing terms and relying on PPV numbers,fight night bonus and off the cards payment bonus

UFC 216

Tony Ferguson: $500,000 ($250,000 to show plus $250,000 win bonus) defeated Kevin Lee: $250,000

Demetrious Johnson: $370,000 (no win bonus) defeated Ray Borg: $100,000

Fabricio Werdum: $400,000 ($275,000 to show plus $125,000 win bonus) defeated Walt Harris: $28,000

Mara Romero Borella: $24,000 ($12,000 to show plus $12,000 win bonus) defeated Kalindra Faria: $12,000

Beneil Dariush: $48,000 vs. Evan Dunham: $40,000 (no win bonus, fight ended in a draw)

Cody Stamann: $24,000 ($12,000 to show plus $12,000 win bonus) defeated Tom Duquesnoy: $23,000

Bobby Green: $24,000* vs. Lando Vannata: $25,000* (no win bonus, fight ended in a draw)

Poliana Botelho: $20,000 ($10,000 to show plus $10,000 win bonus) defeated Pearl Gonzalez: $10,000

Matt Schnell: $20,000 ($10,000 to show plus $10,000 win bonus) defeated Marco Beltran: $14,000

John Moraga: $68,000 ($34,000 to show plus $34,000 win bonus) defeated Magomed Bibulatov: $17,000

Brad Tavares: $74,000 ($37,000 to show plus $37,000 win bonus) defeated Thales Leites: $57,000

They do but alot of the mid tier guys still get fucked over. Remember they cannot have sponsers on their gear,they have to sign over their likeness and cannot compete in anything outside the UFC without them agreeing.

They do but alot of the mid tier guys still get fucked over. Remember they cannot have sponsers on their gear,they have to sign over their likeness and cannot compete in anything outside the UFC without them agreeing.

Yeah the whole reebok thing must have been a kick in the teeth for them, not much the fighters can do though, UFC have a monopoly so they'd earn even less elsewhere.

The way fights are set up though is brilliant, always the best fighting the best, and if a champion is out injured then they need to defend against the no1 contender in their first match back, no warm up fight bollocks.

Also there usually seems to be a decent fighter ready to step up incase somebody drops out.

Valdez really proved he is World class against Quigg, he outboxed him and showed he's a tough fucker on top of it, Quigg was using his weight advantage as much as possible by leaning on him all fight but Valdez stood up to it, delighted to see that, it was a serious test for him,  Would love to see him in with Frampton.

Was impressed with him & reports today that he fought on with a broken jaw & a tooth was punched out

No one watch the Mikey Garcia fight?

Was another decent fight, Garcia just that bit better than the game and tough Lipenets, similar to the Quigg fight in some ways. Be interesting to see what Garcia doe snext

He should be looking towards fighting the winner of Lomachenko/Linares.