You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grenfall Tower Fire

Guest Pistonbroke

Did I hear right on the radio earlier only 71 deaths?

That is the final figure of deaths given by the Met. Although in the same paragraph they go on to say 'we believe all those who died in the blaze have been accounted for', which doesn't mean they are sure themselves. Huge difference between 'Believe' and 'have' in such things. 

The word "only" hardly seems appropriate in the circumstances. But, yes, the conspiracy theorists were wrong again, imagine that.

Yes ONLY. Not conspiracy theories.

Was 80 presumed dead and was due to rise.

Bullshit figures. Do the maths...

120 flats. 71 dead + 255 survivors = 326. That makes 2.71 people per flat.

The Camden high rise that was evacuated a few weeks after Grenfell had an average of over 6 people per flat.

I've visited crammed flats where people live in due to greedy landlords (who know they are going to get guaranteed rent via council benefits) and people desperate for accomodation as part of a job I had in the past and this was over 5 years ago. The Camden figures are more believable.

The word "only" hardly seems appropriate in the circumstances. But, yes, the conspiracy theorists were wrong again, imagine that.

I still don't believe it and I am usually very sceptical about conspiracy theories,  I have heard and read the testament of many of the eye witnesses and don't believe they are all exaggerating the numbers . Gagging orders on fire officers I believe and the government were absolutely desperate to wrap the whole thing up in a public enquiry where they could control the terms of reference and the distribution of the findings, The facts should have been left to the Coroner(s) to determine, Anyone connected to Liverpool knows what happens when public enquiries take control of the agenda, In about 20 years time we might get the truth an by which time this corrupt government will be long gone and no longer accountable . It stinks 

I still don't believe it and I am usually very sceptical about conspiracy theories,  I have heard and read the testament of many of the eye witnesses and don't believe they are all exaggerating the numbers . Gagging orders on fire officers I believe and the government were absolutely desperate to wrap the whole thing up in a public enquiry where they could control the terms of reference and the distribution of the findings, The facts should have been left to the Coroner(s) to determine, Anyone connected to Liverpool knows what happens when public enquiries take control of the agenda, In about 20 years time we might get the truth an by which time this corrupt government will be long gone and no longer accountable . It stinks

Lots of the eye witness reports were found to be mistaken- like people jumping to their deaths. Also seems people were reported missing more than once, one bloke 43 times. The CCTV seems to be the key, they counted them in and out again. Then you’ve got the people who lied muddying the waters intentionally.

It seems a bit of a kick in the teeth to the fire brigade to suggest they were complicit in a cover up.

Shows remote for the dead then immediately uses them to make a point to satisfy his warped agendas. 

You should go into politics. 

Lots of the eye witness reports were found to be mistaken- like people jumping to their deaths. Also seems people were reported missing more than once, one bloke 43 times. The CCTV seems to be the key, they counted them in and out again. Then you’ve got the people who lied muddying the waters intentionally.

It seems a bit of a kick in the teeth to the fire brigade to suggest they were complicit in a cover up.

I am not for a moment suggesting the fire brigade were complicit but there is enough out there to suggest there were heavily leaned upon. 

I tell what was sobering, tonight on the R4 news they read out all the victims names. 71 names takes a long time, it’s easy to forget they are individuals when the number is so high.

Profiles on most of the victims here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40457212

You hope lessons are learned from this, otherwise it will happen again.

The police are the only ones with the powers to obtain and request records from mobile phone, utility and broadband/TV suppliers (in addition to HMRC, electoral roll etc which most people will be on) in terms of residents registered at Grenfell. That means the 71 dead figure will never change.